Coconut Oil / FitDay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Oil / FitDay

Hi. I've been checking quite a lot of what I eat on Fitday and am amazed how hard it is to reach the RDA in some things.

Then, I checked what FitDay has to say about coconut oil. It appears to rate it very low - no minerals at all recorded and only 1% vitamin K.

I assume that they are meaning a very purified, industrial oil whereas I am using virgin coconut oil.

It smells and tastes lovely - surely it has lots of minerals and some vitamins in there?

My concern now is that other foods I am eating may not be registering on the FitDay site as many vitamins and minerals as I am actually consuming?

i don't think fitday is very accurate when it comes to certain foods. i agree on the coconut oil. i'm pretty sure the numbers are off and that's why i don't worry if i'm low in vit/min. i use it sometimes just to get the carb content out of my meals.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Originally posted by shannon View Post
      i don't think fitday is very accurate when it comes to certain foods. i agree on the coconut oil. i'm pretty sure the numbers are off and that's why i don't worry if i'm low in vit/min. i use it sometimes just to get the carb content out of my meals.
      +1

There are so many variables when it comes to trace minerals, et al. that any on-line database is only good at the macro level.
      "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Comment

I've come to think that coconut oil & milk have some kind of cult following. The only thing I can find actual FACTUAL information on as to what part of a coconut is worth consuming, is the water which is loaded with potassium. As for the rest of it, it just tastes REALLY good but can't find any hard proof that it contains any valuable nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubbygirl View Post
          I've come to think that coconut oil & milk have some kind of cult following. The only thing I can find actual FACTUAL information on as to what part of a coconut is worth consuming, is the water which is loaded with potassium. As for the rest of it, it just tastes REALLY good but can't find any hard proof that it contains any valuable nutrition.
          Try here

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/nutrition.pdf

and here

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/loun...onut-1718.html

Comment

seriously? i'm sure if you eat it you'll recognize its benefits.
            Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Hurray for MCTs .

Comment

Originally posted by dfast View Post
                Hurray for MCTs .
                i second that!

Comment

Oh wow, you mean "the coconut research center" has a website that hails COCONUTS as being a nutritional wonder food.... what a surprise! So this must be a superfood too... http://www.wonderbread.com

Hey, I like 'em, just don't believe the hype that's all.

Comment

Oh wow, you mean "the coconut research center" has a website that hails COCONUTS as being a nutritional wonder food.... what a surprise! So this must be a superfood too... http://www.wonderbread.com

Hey, I like 'em, just don't believe the hype that's all.
                    hey, nobody said that you had to take the stuff. let the rest of enjoy it though:-)

Comment

No, there is something in coconut, specifically creamed coconut that is very special. I'm now researching trying to find out what it is. I've got some health issues, and it seems to be the only thing that gives me energy and wakes me up!

Comment

It is different than most oils because it is a medium chain fatty acid that acts in a thermogenic manner and gives you energy. I cannot eat it in the evening because it will keep me from sleeping. There is lot of research out there on the web on coconut oil and coco products. If you are really interested you can look a little deeper. Have fun. It is a super food in my book.

Comment

MCT's are proven to have substantial health benefits. You can actually feel the difference.
                          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Read The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife.

Comment

Originally posted by tarek View Post
                              Read The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife.
                              very good read. probably the book that sold me on the stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X