Almost through my 1st 24 hour fast...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost through my 1st 24 hour fast...

So I have been doing a 17-18 hour fast maybe once a week for the past month or so, but this is my first run at 24. I am not light-headed and have tons of energy, but I have some heartburn and I am burping like crazy! Normal? Good? Bad? Doesn't matter? Thoughts?

Breaking fast at an all you can eat steakhouse here in Japan.

the energy part is awesome, eh? not sure about the indigestion. maybe a cleansing reaction. grok on and keep up the good work!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

18 hrs is my usual, but a 24 hr here and there can be invigorating. I wouldnt do too many, especially if you are male and want to maintain muscle mass, but once in a while should be fine. the burping is probably a result of whatever you eate prior to the fast.

Comment

Awesome! Really glad to hear about the energy level. I've considered doing a 24hr fast myself but was concerned about "bonking".

Chow down on some steaks for me!
        "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Comment

hehe, once you do it you find that it's no biggie. Try a 48 hour fast. That should be fun =)
          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

I was about to start a thread on the Heartburn and Indigestion during fasting as well! I'm glad I'm not alone with this issue.

I have a similar problem. I am consistent with a 16-18 hour fast several times per week, but with only water and black coffee, I get some of the worst heartburn and acid reflux. It was so bad the last time, I cut short a run due to the severe burning in my throat. It stayed with me after the next two meals, and into the next day as well.

I thought ginger chews might help, but it goes against the nature of the fast. It seems better if i abstain from ANYTHING -- including water, but i drink a lot of water, and that's just a bit much.

Any suggestions on how to curb the burn?
            Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

OMG ALL YOU CAN EAT STEAK!?! I am so jealous.

I think the coffee etc may be contributing to the heartburn New Renaissance. I find that I don`t drink much water during a fast, I just kind of go into a nothing by mouth mode, unless really thirsty.
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

Id say the coffee as well. I love coffee during a fast
                "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

I forgot to elaborate on the coffee. Quality and preparation of the coffee matters. Drip coffee a la Folgers is a big culprit whether I eat or not. When it's prepared as an espresso or French Press, it doesn't lead to heartburn.

The trouble is I need something to wake me up in the morning. My body is physically awake, but my mind isn't until about 10. I have been a night person since I was an infant. There is the pesky caffeine addiction I manage as well. That goes into another thread, however.
                  Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

I do tend to burp more when I'm fasting for some reason. I really haven't put much thought into why though.
                    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Interesting thread. I haven't noticed any heartburn or stomach acid issues fasting, but I am curious about it now. I have a guess, but will do some reading first and after some exercise and real work to worry about first.

Comment

Glad to know I am not the only one and it doesn't seem to be a big issue.

So after posting I moved a ton of stuff out to the dumpster (coming back to the states next month) and energy levels maintained. It was a good 40 minutes of heavy lifting. Once I started eating dinner the heartburn and burping went away. Just had a light breakfast (it's the morning after here) and feel great. I won't do the 24 hour often, but maybe once a month. It was easier than I thought.

Thanks for the replies everybody =)

Comment

Haha I thought I was the only one who burped when fasting. Fortunatley though I don't have any indigestion or heartburn just the burps. Do u think it's a side effect of the ketones?

Comment

Working...
                          X