Green peas, legume :-(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green peas, legume :-(

I just found out that one of my favorite veggies is actually a legume. I would never have guessed it of green peas. Is there an official verdict on them?

Cut them out.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Comment

i thought that they werent really considered a legume since they do not have to be processed to eat. that is what i heard about green beans anyway.

Comment

I say eat the damn things. Mark had a blog where he said go ahead and eat legumes you just have to soak them and cook them first. I wouldn't go pounding can, bag or whatever one after another but eating peas will not hurt you.
        "Live Free or Die"

Comment

eat them!.....in moderation. They're yummy, especially in curries
          ya know, I'm starting to get really sick of how we classify things by certain criteria that are totally irrelevant when it comes to deciding whether you eat something or not. So, peas are classified in the legume category and legumes are off limits....but, they're peas! they are still different from the other legumes. I don't care that they meet x,y, and z criteria so they are technically legumes and not veggies. These classifications are just something that we humans made up and don't necessarily mean anything. I take every single different food item individually and decide for myself if I should eat it regardless of what "family" of foods they fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by Katie82 View Post
            eat them!.....in moderation. They're yummy, especially in curries
            ya know, I'm starting to get really sick of how we classify things by certain criteria that are totally irrelevant when it comes to deciding whether you eat something or not. So, peas are classified in the legume category and legumes are off limits....but, they're peas! they are still different from the other legumes. I don't care that they meet x,y, and z criteria so they are technically legumes and not veggies. These classifications are just something that we humans made up and don't necessarily mean anything. I take every single different food item individually and decide for myself if I should eat it regardless of what "family" of foods they fit in.
            +1!!!
            The more I see the less I know for sure.
            -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by Katie82 View Post
              ya know, I'm starting to get really sick of how we classify things by certain criteria that are totally irrelevant when it comes to deciding whether you eat something or not. [....] I take every single different food item individually and decide for myself if I should eat it regardless of what "family" of foods they fit in.
              Although we have little virtual communities for primal/paleo eating, it is all an individual effort. People need to make decisions based on their bodies and their goals. I didn't need to lose weight, I chose primal eating to deal with chronic health problems, therefore I am going to be more stringent with what I do and don't eat. The OP was asking about peas as legumes and legumes as primal. The answer is no.

And peas as a legume is not a made up idea. It's botany.
              Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
              ~Borges

Comment

Originally posted by say_rahhh View Post
                Although we have little virtual communities for primal/paleo eating, it is all an individual effort. People need to make decisions based on their bodies and their goals. I didn't need to lose weight, I chose primal eating to deal with chronic health problems, therefore I am going to be more stringent with what I do and don't eat. The OP was asking about peas as legumes and legumes as primal. The answer is no.

And peas as a legume is not a made up idea. It's botany.
                Exactly. It's botany, not nutrition.

Comment

Yep, they're legumes. So are peanuts, by the way.
                  Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I figure if I can eat them raw, I eat them. I eat peas (especially in the pods) and green beans. I say they're ok.

Comment

I love peas and broad beans - and they don't seem to make me react. I'll probably add back some lentils and dried chickpeas into my diet too and see what (if any) reaction there is.

Comment

according to the website : owenfoundation.com

Garden Pea (Pisum sativum)

Lectin Group: Legume lectins
                        Lectin Designations: PSA, PsA
                        Lectin Locations: One lectin is in the seed, and one in the root of the plant.
                        Agglutination: PSA possesses no specific affinity to blood group antigens. The lectin has affinity towards mannose and glucose. Fucose residues have been shown to be determinant in the tight binding of glycopeptides to pea lectin. The specificity is similar to lens culinaris (lentils).
                        Mitogenic: Pea lectin is a mitogen (induces cellular division).

While Garden Peas definitely have a lectin "issue", they are nowhere near as "bad" as peanuts or soybeans.

I have read that you definitely do not want to eat legumes raw, since cooking denatures (inactivates) the Lectin (protein).

There is a technical heavy article on the effect of legume lectin that I found at:
                        http://www.ask-force.org/web/Pusztai...ctins-1996.PDF
                        "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Comment

Working...
                        X