Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to shut up the sugar monster

Hello all,

I am having some serious sugar cravings / withdrawals. I am very new to BP and am on day 5 of going paleo. I only eat meat, veg (not the starchy type, ie not potatoes, etc) and fruit. I have a shocking sweet tooth and my only vice (which I am desperate to give up) is diet cola. I think the cravings are probably more a withdrawal from no sugar. I am sticking to my guns and not budging but the cravings are shocking.

Does any one have some advise for this newbie please.

Look forward to reading your gems of knowledge.

Thank you

xxxx

Eventually it subsides. If you can muck through the moments and not give in, they'll eventually go away.

When I was having a craving I'd eat something salty/spicy... pickled eggs sometimes did it, or fried eggs, with mustard or hot sauce. Seems like I always turned to eggs- lol. After having a couple eggs I wasn't very willing to eat more. That was just my strategy for dealing with it. Sometimes the cravings won, but the longer you go, the easier it gets.

Comment

^^ yep, what she said.

If you are still having the diet soda, give that up ASAP...it can lead to increased sugar cravings. Even though there's no sugar in the drink, your body thinks there is. Some folks will even release insulin in response to diet soda.
      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
        ^^ yep, what she said.

If you are still having the diet soda, give that up ASAP...it can lead to increased sugar cravings. Even though there's no sugar in the drink, your body thinks there is. Some folks will even release insulin in response to diet soda.
        Totally agree!
        Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

Eat steak, and bacon.

At the same time.

Comment

Beat the sugar monster to death, just club him, with bacon! Keep crispy bacon on hand, cooked and ready to roll. Eat it ANY time you crave sweets. And if you must, source some good local bacon that is pure Paleo as possible. But even the most factory built bacon, is better for you than any sweets!

Comment

I have found that sugar cravings hit hardest when I'm tired or bored. I've done quite a bit to make sure that I do not have tempting treats around, since if you don't have it you can't eat it. Most cravings will subside if you are patient enough to wait them out.

So if I feel the need for a sweet snack and I just ignore it for 15 or 20 minutes, it will subside.
              "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Comment

Taking 2000 to 4000 mg of L-Glutamine in the morning (and afternoon if you have severe cravings) can help curb carb cravings.
                “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Don't feed it! It will die.

In the meantime, satiate yourself on yummy fats whenever you're tempted.

And distract yourself with exercise, intense concentration on something interesting, whatever.
                  Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I second what everyone is saying: the cravings do go away. And if you do cave in and feed the urge (even just an itsy bit), the cravings will stay around longer. My sugar cravings were strongest early on and have steadily diminished. I'm even at the point where I don't eat dark chocolate as a treat any more- early on I would have an ounce or less of choccy but now I don't need it.
                    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
                    ~Borges

Comment

I agree with the diet soda advice - if you need something fizzy, at least switch to mineral water. Sweetness, even artificial sweetness, begats more cravings for sweet stuff. And I used to drink more diet coke than water so I understand how hard it is to give it up, but you'll notice that just like a fine wine pairs with fine food, that when you drink soda you typcially want to eat food with it that is usually not so great. It also does nothing to satisfy your thirst - you can be just as thirsty after a soda as before one.

I agree, it does get easier. Just keep up the good changes! And don't be terrified of fat.

Comment

Butter, mascarpone, and distracting myself were my best tricks. Distracting myself with something where I couldn't have a spare hand (laundry, dishes, paint my nails, mow the lawn) worked wonders.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                          Distracting myself with something where I couldn't have a spare hand (laundry, dishes, paint my nails, mow the lawn) worked wonders.
                          +1

I also had a diet soda addiction. I've gotten it from 6-10 cans of diet soda a day to <1 per week on average. After just a month of this I've already noticed less desire for soda, and more satiety with water, as well as reduced sugar cravings. Kick the soda and the rest will slowly fall in line.

Comment

It's going to be something you'll just have to tough out. When you get a craving, eat something fatty (bacon is a great choice). Your body has been addicted to carbs and sugar for a long time; it's as bad as kicking a heroin habit, but if you're going to be healthy you must do it. Stick to your guns and post here when you get to the point that it's unbearable. (And fry up some bacon!)
                            Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

it will vanish eventually. try to avoid fruit for awhile if the cravings are that bad. whatever you do DON'T give in. i promise it will pass. good luck oh and lots of fat. hits the spot!
                              Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Working...
                              X