Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-vitro, laboratory grown, stem-cell meat

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/4212533

Would you eat it if it could be made healthier and tastier than the best grass-fed meat? What if human flesh could be "grown"? Wouldn't it be the best meat for us? Would you eat human flesh if it was "grown"?

No pain or suffering, vegans could technically eat this flesh. It would end factory farming forever.

No.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Ew. Ew ew ew. Ew. EW.

What is LESS primal?

Pain and suffering, though uncomfortable in an age when we have the ego to think they are something we can universally control, are natural.

Meat grown on a screen in a lab? Beyond inhumane, it is unhuman, and beyond unhuman, it is unnatural. I'm not overly religious, but it is certain un-Natural with the capital N as well.

Again. Ew.

So "No."

And that stands for eternity, even if I go back to my Arby and Twinkie ways.

Comment

But that's the thing, stem-cells if they were to come from the best DNA would create the best form of meat. So you take your most ideal cow, horse, moose or whatever and use it's stem cells to grow flesh that can be consumed. It would be an exact clone. What would be wrong with eating that meat?

Comment

Originally posted by vivilee View Post
          But that's the thing, stem-cells if they were to come from the best DNA would create the best form of meat. So you take your most ideal cow, horse, moose or whatever and use it's stem cells to grow flesh that can be consumed. It would be an exact clone. What would be wrong with eating that meat?
          Nothing.

And Everything.

Comment

Assuming that it was literally identical both physically and nutritionally, and cheaper, then yes. But is that going to happen? Vegans will eat soy so long as they don't have to eat meat, and the entire world is grossly ignorant as to the nutritional composition of meat so I really don't see it happening. I predict that lab meat will be deadly, deficient and 100% endorsed by PETA.

But really I probably wouldn't make an effort to obtain some unless they deliver for free.

Maybe they should feed the super martyr vegans to the less radical vegans. They will be vegan heroes
            Last edited by Stabby; 07-11-2010, 08:05 PM.
            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I would it eat, and it would end my own personal moral dilemma with eating meat. However, I can imagine the over-population that would occur.

Would you be considered a cannibal if you ate stem-cell human flesh?

Comment

Would you eat it if it could be made healthier and tastier than the best grass-fed meat?
                It would take a lot before I truely believed it to be healthier... remember...whole grains are 'healthy' for us...

What if human flesh could be "grown"? Wouldn't it be the best meat for us?
                This statement is completely illogical... if such were the case why don't we feed cow meat to cows... or dog meat to dogs... cat meat to cats?...

Would you eat human flesh if it was "grown"?
                No... Are you serious?...even though there have been cannibals through history...and I'd quickly choose eating a person over starving to death... it is far from the way we evolved to survive...

No pain or suffering, vegans could technically eat this flesh.
                This is assuming the only reason for a vegan to be a vegan is because of moral issues with eating creatures...

It would end factory farming forever.
                I'd dare go so far to say that it isn't the end of factory farming but would be the beginning of the 'next generation' of factory farms... except these 'farms' would be even more like a factory and less like a farm...

Originally posted by FTA
                Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins could be blasted into the mixture
                Mmm sounds natural... kind of like those healthy Flavor Blasted Goldfish... it's pretty much the same...right?...

*sigh* ... things like this... posted here... make me wish I was Stabby... *stab stab*

On a side note I do find the science fascinating... but far from something we should eat... Not even remotely Primal Compliant...
                sigpic

Comment

Ewww. Count me out.

Comment

Well you shouldn't feed meat to a grass-eating animal however, an obligate carnivore like a cat would probably do very well on a cat meat diet.

Stabby didn't stab me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatkid View Post
                      *sigh* ... things like this... posted here... make me wish I was Stabby... *stab stab*
                      You can be Stabby. All you need is a knife and the anger inside

*stab stab*

edit: heh I reserve my stabbing for CW's face, as it says in my signature.
                      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Well you shouldn't feed meat to a grass-eating animal however, an obligate carnivore like a cat would probably do very well on a cat meat diet.
                        can you name a single animal that evolves/survives on a completely cannibalistic diet?

Stabby didn't stab me yet.
                        In all seriousness I really hope he(or no one) ever stabs you .... just the idea of living off of a cannibalistic diet seems silly to me and more or less like a facepalm moment... ... at least in the context of The Primal Blueprint...
                        sigpic

Comment

They should make a kosher meat tree.
                          My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

The amino acid profiles of human meat vs. cow, horse, or monkey meat--is it very different in composition?

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
                              They should make a kosher meat tree.
                              Hee hee

Comment

Working...
                              X