No bacon or seafood - suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No bacon or seafood - suggestions?

I don't eat pork and I don't eat seafood, and I am getting tired of chicken and beef. What other protein can I add to my diet to ward off boredom?

Wild game? Buffalo? Emu? Ostrich? Frog? Goat? Lamb?
    Is the pork and seafood for religious reasons or do you not care for the taste?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

Squirrel inside an eagle inside a walrus. The circle of life

^+1 and I add elk.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

How about venison or wild boar --- very tasty and nutritious.
        sigpic

Comment

@naiadknight, yes, we recently gave up eating those things for traditional reasons, more than religious reasons. Our kids are getting older and so we are trying to teach them about Jewish customs, which do not allow for the above-mentioned foods (even though I LOVE them) and felt we needed to set an example for them to follow.

We do eat bison burgers, but I have no idea where to get game meat from (maybe I will start hunting next year, but not quite there yet). Lamb is a good idea. It is so hard to find grass fed meat in our area. I looked into doing a cow share, but there are none in my area at all. Gotta keep looking. This primal way of eating is really starting to work for me (I feel so much better) but I need variety. I get bored so easily.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to order some biltong as well (South African jerky - once you've tasted it, you will never eat jerky again). That will help for snacks.

@megaladon, wild boar is pig, so I cannot eat it.

Comment

Plenty of seafood is kosher and seems traditional enough. My Orthodox Jewish neighbors in LA many years ago were big on lox and bagels.

Comment

bagels are a no go. Why can't you eat fish? If a fish has scales its kosher by koshrut laws. tilipia, sardines, grouper, salmon, muai muai, red snapper, flounder, sole, haddock, herring, whitefish are some of the kosher fish you can eat. Have you tried cooking brisket yet? Its kind of tricky too cook, since it requires a long cooking time, but it can be really good. Joan Nathan has a good cookbook.
              My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Brisket's hard to cook? *scratches head* I sear mine, pressure cook it it onion, jalapeno, stock, and salsa for 30 min and call it good.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

This company makes fabulous bison sausage, if you want some nice variety: http://pedersonswenzel.com/products/...moked-sausage/ I buy it at Whole Foods.

What about duck, turkey, pheasant, and non-shellfish fish (mahi, halibut, salmon, tilapia, amberjack, anchovies (esp fresh!) sardines, occasional tuna, etc...) Gosh- just the fish choices alone- there are so many! Venison is fabulous and I've heard that elk is good. You can find them all online (and possibly even locally, if you do a little sleuthing!)
                  http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

sorry Scubascam,did not realise.Sure there is plenty of good,tasty protein you will happen across.Happy eating.
                    sigpic

Comment

brisket is usually cooked in a crockpot for at least 6 hours (more would probably be better), to tenderize it. Its hard to maintain its internal moisture and make it tender at the same time. It does age in the refrigerator nicely though.

Comment

I can eat fish, but I am not a big fish person. I like sole, swordfish and tuna at times. If it tastes or smells fishy, I won't eat it. I bought some herring in sour cream the other day, that is good. I love brisket and never thought of it (I usually only make it on high holidays), but will definitely add that to my repertoire.

I do eat turkey and will definitely try that bison sausage. Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope I start seeing some weight loss this week.

Comment

Goose is a delicacy, that used to be really popular here. There are plenty on golf courses, ;-) I dunno where you can get a goose, besides bringing a rifle to a golf course, but it also has the best fat for cooking in. Well the tastiest so I hear. Haddock, tilipia and cod don't have very strong flavors. Salmon needs to be seasoned properly, since it has a strong taste. I think pheasant and quail are kosher too, but I haven't seen them for sale. Swordfish is NOT kosher.

Comment

I eat non kosher meat, but nowadays no seafood (other than fish) and no pork. This is something new we decided to implement in the home for our children.

Basically, while there is no difference from a Halachic (Jewish law) perspective between non-Kosher meat and pork (non kosher is non kosher, one is not more non-kosher than the other) it is customary for secular Jews not to eat anything that is specifically written about in the Old testament (pork for example), so this is what we are doing for now.

Whether or not it goes further than this, we'll see, but I doubt it will. We both come from very religious backgrounds and both chose a different way of life long before we met. However, now that we have kids, we are seeing the value in certain traditions (this being one of them), so we are trying it out.

Are you Jewish Strom?

Comment

Yes I am. I keep kosher too. To a degree. Super glatt kosher food is over cooked and over salted, in general. We eat out at restaurants which is kind of contradictory. So your more Noachide?

Comment

Working...
                              X