what about corn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what about corn?

Is corn ok the night before a race when I want to get some carbs? I've been doing sweet potato, but wondering if corn would good too?

Originally posted by grokka View Post
    Is corn ok the night before a race when I want to get some carbs? I've been doing sweet potato, but wondering if corn would good too?
    Absolutely not. You should read the primal blueprint, it talks about how grains are bad and corn is a grain. If you want more info I can break it down for you, but seriously just eat sweet potatoes or some high quality fruit.

Comment

another thing to ponder; corn is contaminated with mold. yuck!
      Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

No, it's a grain.
        Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

Really, what kind of mold? Are you talking about fresh sweet corn on the cob or corn when actually used as a grain?
          To me these two things are completely different foods. I avoid corn for the most part but in the summer I do eat corn on the cob fresh from the farmers market. I've never seen mold on it and YES, I've eaten it raw many, many times.
          To the OP, I say go for it. But only if it's fresh, local corn. Seriously, it won't hurt you.

Comment

corn? bleh.
            Mermaid

Comment

corn or sweet potato??? hmmmmmm let me think......................*throws yellow tastless thing into trash*

Comment

i ate a few pieces of baby corn today. Those are mostly cob tho. and cob aint a grain.
                sigpic

Comment

thats one of the hardest things for me to give up, sweetcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Katie82 View Post
                    Really, what kind of mold? Are you talking about fresh sweet corn on the cob or corn when actually used as a grain?
                    To me these two things are completely different foods. I avoid corn for the most part but in the summer I do eat corn on the cob fresh from the farmers market. I've never seen mold on it and YES, I've eaten it raw many, many times.
                    To the OP, I say go for it. But only if it's fresh, local corn. Seriously, it won't hurt you.
                    aflatoxins are found mostly in grains (yes, corn is a grain). just because you can't see the mold doesn't mean it doesn't exist within your produce. i believe fresh corn is a bit better in terms of contamination. google aflatoxins and corn. apparently it's universally contaminated. just figured i'd give ya a heads up. if someone is suffering from a fungal condition of any sort i would suggest skipping the corn.
                    Last edited by shannon; 07-09-2010, 05:43 AM.
                    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Corn isnt a gluten grain, though. I dont mind a bit of corn or white rice in small quantities once in a while, but Im not much of a purist. Perfect sweet summer corn straight from the farm, lightly grilled or boiled, with butter and salt, aint too bad.
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                        Corn isnt a gluten grain, though. I dont mind a bit of corn or white rice in small quantities once in a while, but Im not much of a purist. Perfect sweet summer corn straight from the farm, lightly grilled or boiled, with butter and salt, aint too bad.
                        When my dad lived in inner-city houston, there were lots of little refresquerias that would sell elotes.......they are cups of roasted corn cut off the cob, a huge glob of mayo, hot chili sauce, and queso fresco sprinkled on top. man it was good!

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                          When my dad lived in inner-city houston, there were lots of little refresquerias that would sell elotes.......they are cups of roasted corn cut off the cob, a huge glob of mayo, hot chili sauce, and queso fresco sprinkled on top. man it was good!
                          THUNK!

(That was me, falling off the wagon. Big thunk--I'm a big girl, though slowly getting less big. But you know... Primal, schmimal--this is good stuff when the corn is super fresh and garden grown. If memory serves, I enjoy this three or four times over about two weeks during the year, coming up soon in OH. If this isn't in my own personal 20 percent, then it's not a plan for me.)

Comment

Wouldn't Grok have eaten corn?

Comment

80/20 rule applies...eat your corn but its your 20%

Comment

Working...
                              X