Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here eat MCT oil (refined coconut)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here eat MCT oil (refined coconut)?

Hi

I read over on Jimmy Moore's blog that some people are adding MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil to meals to speed up their metabolism and burn fat. As far as I can tell, it's just coconut oil minus the lauric acid. So it's essentially capricylic acid. It is thin, clear, and flavorless.

I bought a bottle yesterday and put 1 teaspoon on my salad along with my regular salad dressing. When I went to bed a couple hours later, I had to fight back anxiety rushes...similar to having too much caffeine and being anxious. I also felt a bit nauseaus. (By comparison, when I have a healthy portion of coconut milk in a smoothie, I sometimes feel nauseaus but I've never felt anxiety from it.)

Just wondering if anyone here uses it and what your experiences have been.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Originally posted by Canarygirl View Post
    Hi

I read over on Jimmy Moore's blog that some people are adding MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil to meals to speed up their metabolism and burn fat. As far as I can tell, it's just coconut oil minus the lauric acid. So it's essentially capricylic acid. It is thin, clear, and flavorless.

I bought a bottle yesterday and put 1 teaspoon on my salad along with my regular salad dressing. When I went to bed a couple hours later, I had to fight back anxiety rushes...similar to having too much caffeine and being anxious. I also felt a bit nauseaus. (By comparison, when I have a healthy portion of coconut milk in a smoothie, I sometimes feel nauseaus but I've never felt anxiety from it.)

Just wondering if anyone here uses it and what your experiences have been.
    Shit, that's almost exactly how I feel sometimes when I eat tons of coconuts.

Is this good or bad?
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

Hmmm....interesting. Let's see what other folks have to say. I also posted this question on the "MCT vs Coconut oil" thread on Jimmy Moore's forum.

Comment

I've had a similar experience, but only after downing a can of coconut milk and 3 tablespoons of coconut oil together. Just go easy.
        “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Doesn't sound very Grok-like to me. Someone has basically processed a natural oil such as coconut oil to strip out something, in order to create something new, in this case, "MCT oil." I personally would avoid it like the plague, just on the grounds that it's been processed, and stick with organic, virgin coconut oil.

Comment

I use MCT oil. It is tasteless, and I don't want to always be tasting coconut in everything.

I have not noticed any anxiety when I use it.
            (But I also don't use tons of the stuff or use it every day.)
            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

TigerLily, do you cook with it then? Do you notice any effects from using it in your energy level, weight loss, or general health?

Comment

Nutiva has a new coconut oil product that has less of a sweet coconut flavor to it, though I haven't tried it yet:
                http://nutiva.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=122

And people's experiences may vary, but I hardly even pick up on the coconut flavoring in the foods I cook. Sometimes that depends on the food, but in most cases it doesn't interfere with the flavor of whatever I'm cooking.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. Mcts re often part of the rx for FTT infants and children with slow weight gain

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I take a tbsp every morning. If your getting heated up, energy, and the such, could be correcting thyroid function.
                    sigpic
                    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Canarygirl, yes I cook with, just fine. (Note that it doesn't do well on the very highest temperatures, though.) To be honest with you, I've made so many changes to my diet that I can't tell exactly which elements are responsible for me not feeling like I'm dying anymore. I think the huge change in energy and reduction in depression is because I'm not poisoning myself with grains, more than anything else. The thyroid argument was what finally tipped me over the edge and made me buy it. I like it enough to keep reordering the big bottle of it. If you're truly interested, I can dig up where I've been buying it online. I get an insanely good price, and I'm happy with the brand.
                      Last edited by TigerLily; 07-07-2010, 11:27 AM.
                      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                        I wouldn't do it. Mcts re often part of the rx for FTT infants and children with slow weight gain
                        What are FTT infants? And do you mean that if it's part of the Rx for sub-growth children, that it is a growth accelerator and therefore suspect?

@EGYnutrition, can you talk about what you've experienced as a result of taking the T of MCT oil each day?

@TigerLily, so it sounds like you've read something about positive effect of MCT on thyroid function. I could use some of that. Maybe I just need to not take it in the evening, when I'm trying to sleep...
                        Last edited by Canarygirl; 07-07-2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

What are FTT infants?
                          FTT = Failure to thrive

Comment

I've often wondered about this. Here was my experience:

Back in December when I first went PB, I read about others using coconut oil to cook with. I had a slow functioning thyroid, but it wasn't too bad, not like it was off the charts slow or anything. I cooked with it a few times and didn't really notice anything. Then I read about people eating it off the spoon, so I tried that one night. WOAH!! I started to heat up and had to turn on the air conditioning. The hot flashes went on for several hours and were moderately uncomfortable. I had some small panic attacks.

I had a hard time believing that coconut oil did this, so I tried it again a few days later and got the same result. It didn't bother me when I cooked with it, only when I ate a spoonful. I went to the doctor and had my thyroid checked and it was better than it had been in years. Maybe there was no connection, that could be.

I tried the experiment again a couple of months ago and this time I didn't heat up very much, but instead got a nasty headache and very, very sick to my stomach. Bottom line is, as long as I cook with it ( I use it for my eggs), everything is fine. Otherwise, not.

Comment

What are FTT infants? And do you mean that if it's part of the Rx for sub-growth children, that it is a growth accelerator and therefore suspect?
                              Not suspect b/c it's a growth accelerator but concerning to me simply because it's used for to help them *gain* weight.

But some of the experiences are intriguing for sure. Sounds like it's worth reading more about. There may even be published literature on it wrt weight or thyroid function. Google Scholar and Pubmed to the rescue!

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                              X