Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG! I feel so sinful!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OMG! I feel so sinful!

    So I came home from work tonight and made myself breakfast for dinner. 3 slices of thick cut bacon, 1 pork sausage patty, 2 eggs, and sauteed onions, zuchinni and tomatoes (cooked in bacon grease ) I feel like such a sinner. How can this be real? LOL! I love it!

    I also had 2 hamburger patties for lunch with my big ass salad!

    My family thinks I've gone off the deep end, because I've been an avid turkey bacon and turkey sausage eater for years. I've never used bacon grease to cook with (even though my Mom always did when I was growing up). I've been brainwashed for years!

  • #2
    I had fun with bacon grease this past weekend... fried some celery, onion, and green peppers... then crumbled the bacon into the mix.
    It was so tasty. It is strange shifting into eating this way after living on USDA prescribed cooking tools for years. So happy to be no longer brainwashed.
    CriQue ~ Groking it like it's hot since June 26, 2010
    May 2009 Baby // May 2010 241lbs, // Aug 2011 178lbs // Mar 2012 156lbs //
    Apr 2014 Baby2 // Jan 2015 240 lbs 40% BF // Mar 2016 156 lbs 26%BF
    Goal 18-20% BF

    Keto / Jogging / Freeletics / IF / Arctic Zero / Lindt 85% / Hotwings / Quest Smores

    Comment


    • #3
      Ha, don't feel sinful (unless you like to feel sinful), bacon grease is good for your heart.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

      Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

      Comment


      • #4
        I was saving bacon grease for a while, then I realized how foolish that was. Now I just make a few slices of bacon every time I cook something. It's not like I can't shove down a couple of extra slices here and there. I had fish fried in bacon fat with a side of bacon for dinner. Unbelievably.

        Comment


        • #5
          Isn't it fabulous? I'm a newbie too. I've been experimenting with different brands of bacon to find the very best. After years of banning bacon from my house and only eating it very occasionally in restaurants, it is intoxicating to be able to make it a regular part of my diet. Of course, we are talking uncured nitrate free, but totally salty, fatty, yummy goodness.

          I've started using reserved bacon fat to cook my eggs in the morning, because I don't like the coconut oil/egg flavor combo. But bacon makes it outstanding.
          Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Allbeef Patty View Post
            I was saving bacon grease for a while, then I realized how foolish that was. Now I just make a few slices of bacon every time I cook something. It's not like I can't shove down a couple of extra slices here and there. I had fish fried in bacon fat with a side of bacon for dinner. Unbelievably.
            Ah but then that begs the real question: do you put bacon on your bacon on your bacon on your bacon...
            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

            Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

            Comment


            • #7
              I believe the Applegate Farms uncured one was pretty good... though I really like Kroger's Low Sodium one, and I crack black pepper all over it, or sometimes spice it with Sichiji (awesome Japanese spice).

              -写
              Little Saiyan

              Comment


              • #8
                I like using 2" squares of bacon as the chips for my guacamole. Doritos? Hah!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Grol View Post
                  I like using 2" squares of bacon as the chips for my guacamole. Doritos? Hah!
                  GREAT idea!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Grol View Post
                    I like using 2" squares of bacon as the chips for my guacamole. Doritos? Hah!
                    OMG! That is awesome! I'm trying that for sure!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tonight, im having salmon for dinner. and bacon and eggs for dessert! cant wait!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OMG! I feel so sinful!
                        “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                        "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ikaika View Post
                          I believe the Applegate Farms uncured one was pretty good... though I really like Kroger's Low Sodium one, and I crack black pepper all over it, or sometimes spice it with Sichiji (awesome Japanese spice).

                          -写
                          When I don't buy pastured bacon from the farmers market I go for Applegate Farms Bacon. I love there 100% grass fed beef hot dogs as well.

                          Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                          Tonight, im having salmon for dinner. and bacon and eggs for dessert! cant wait!
                          Haha I love it... bacon and eggs for dessert.



                          How do you all store bacon grease? Do you pour it in a jar and leave it out or store it in a fridge? How long does it last? I am very new to saving bacon grease.
                          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post


                            How do you all store bacon grease? Do you pour it in a jar and leave it out or store it in a fridge? How long does it last? I am very new to saving bacon grease.
                            use a glass jar. pour in the hot grease as soon as the bacon is out of the pan. I keep mine out on my counter, but I guess you can keep it in the fridge if you want, it will be more solid then. It lasts as long as butter lasts, which is pretty long. Fat keeps very well.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                              When I don't buy pastured bacon from the farmers market I go for Applegate Farms Bacon. I love there 100% grass fed beef hot dogs as well.
                              I've always hated hotdogs, even as a little kid, and recently wondered if it was because of all the nasties and preservatives in them, so I tried the Applegate Farms hot dogs, which had an impressive ingredient list!

                              ...Nope. Still hate hot dogs.

                              Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                              How do you all store bacon grease? Do you pour it in a jar and leave it out or store it in a fridge? How long does it last? I am very new to saving bacon grease.
                              I'm new to it too! I made bacon mayonnaise and had high hopes, but it kiiiinda grossed me out. (I'm not a picky eater, i swear.)
                              However, asparagus, okra, and garlic sautéed in the stuff is stellar!

                              -写
                              Little Saiyan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X