No announcement yet.

Omega-3:6 Ratio = 1:1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to throw a spanner in the works of primal thinking on omega 3/6 has anyone come across these studies?

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/119/6/902
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/cont...e2=tf_ipsecsha

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
      So whats this about cow brains? And how do cow brains compare to other brains?
      any brains are good. Depending on what the animal was eating, it could be *great*.

Talking to my BIL's mom, I learned that traditionally in Italy, before feeding infant rice cereal was popularized, babies were fed brains as a first food, then liver, sweetmeats and egg yolks. Interesting, eh?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by Kattanga View Post
        The 1:1 ratio is a guess. Some people guess 1:1 other 1:2 others 1:4. It's a educated guess but it's still a guess. I don't supplement fish oil as I think eating real food is better and less risky long term. The current fad of high dose fish oil could workout for people or we could see studies in the future showing that some people have issues. Eating real food pretty much is safer. We also know that a lot of vitamins and minerals are synergistic so I would guess that there might be other benefits in eating real food over taking supplements.

Also bear in mind their is now a massive fish oil industry pimping their pills to people. The same industry that would be selling you low fat crap or acai berries any other day. So I would be sceptical.

I eat a serving of oily fish every day - 3grams of omega 3 and minimise omega 6. If you eat grass fed beef, lamb or organic free range chicken and lots of veggies you should be able to get down to 1:4 pretty easily.

I haven't been able to get the ratios better than 1:2 without massive supplements or eating nothing but red meat and fish. So I don't think the 1:1 ratio is practical without taking lots of supplements or becoming a zombie and eating brains.
        lol, the second option is always there
        "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

so is the inefficient conversion mean that flax and chia and seaweed are bad ideas???
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

mark said ala is more efficiently converted by females. So i guess men shouldnt rely on it as much
            "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Working...
            X