Nuts and Seeds: HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts and Seeds: HELP

Alright. My body composition isn't where I want it to be. I AM PRIMAL. And yet, I'm completely stuck... and have been for years. Come on! I don't eat grains, I don't eat sugars, I take fish oil and multivitamins-- I'm doing everything right! Well, almost. The only thing I have left is a complete, unwavering, utter addiction, to nuts. And seeds. And nut-butters.

I work in a store with a glorious, magnificent bulk section. Imagine, your favorite addiction, laid before you by the dozens of pounds. Endless bins of macadamia nuts, pistachios, raw deluxe mixes, raw cashews, dry-roasted unsalted cashews, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, glorious soft local pecans, and of course, the end-all--- fresh ground almond butter. On work days, I imagine I eat two or three cups of nuts.

I'm tired of feeling guilty after a few handfuls. I'm tired of going home from work with a stomachache.
    I'm tired of knowing that I'm gorging like a fool, and yet-- I cannot stop. The 'Just a bit' thing does not work for me. I'm eating nut-butters with spoons at night! I have succeeded, ONCE, in refraining from nuts for a complete day, and I felt magnificently in control.

So, I'm putting this out there. Maybe that will pressure me. I'm not going to eat nuts-- I'm going to try for one month, see how I feel, see how I look. I have GOT to stop! After that, maybe they'll find a reasonable place in my diet, and I will welcome them-- but right now, I have to get this in check.

No more. One month.

-写

P.S. Except coconuts.
    Little Saiyan

Do you have a "gateway nut"?

If I eat cashews, I'm done for with any nut within snacking distance! Otherwise, I am relatively indifferent.

Perhaps you don't need to give up ALL nuts?

Comment

Damn right, ain't nobody better be dissin' coconuts.

Lots of oily fish will help greatly too.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Good luck! And, yes, enjoy all the coconut you want! Keep us updated on your progress. I am sure it will help!
        Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

I have just started a 'no nut' month as well. It's HARD, they are so delectable!
          Unfortunately I have replaced my nut obsession with creamed coconut, so I'm still screwing myself over.

But we can dooooo eeeet!!! I hope...
          The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Pessimist View Post
            I have just started a 'no nut' month as well. It's HARD, they are so delectable!
            Unfortunately I have replaced my nut obsession with creamed coconut, so I'm still screwing myself over.

But we can dooooo eeeet!!! I hope...
            Creamed coconut is perfectly fine. Virtually not PUFA's and more than half of it is MCT's which cannot be stored as fats.

Now as for nuts/seeds, get rid of them ASAP!!! IMO they are in the same category as grains.
            .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
            ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
              IMO they are in the same category as grains.
              That is absurd. They may not fit into this bizzare world of ratios and numbers that we have constructed for ourselves, but they are as natural a form of sustenance as any. We easily overeat them, as we live in times of abundance. However, you can bet they were a precious source of calories for our ancestors when hunting was scarce and we can't forget that. They are important. Food is more than numbers, it is also history, and soul.

-写
              Little Saiyan

Comment

Nuts are good primal food. They are one of the few very portable, no fuss, snack sized primal foods. That may be their greatest sin.

Comment

Since when did Primal mean Meat and Spinach? Grrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Comment

right there with ya. i ate a whole jar of almond butter last night! wish i could just eat a tbsp or 2!

Comment

Originally posted by Cristy View Post
                      right there with ya. i ate a whole jar of almond butter last night! wish i could just eat a tbsp or 2!
                      Sad thing is, when I lost like 65 lbs conventionally, about two years ago, I had exquisite willpower-- I was using 1/2 TB and I could stop myself there. Of course, thats when I started tracking my food, which opened up a whole new can of OCD...
                      Little Saiyan

Comment

Nuts and seeds are supposed to be an occasional snack, and I think that's where ikaika's problem lies. There's just too much of an omega-6 presence in many nuts which will throw the whole O3:O6 ratio out of whack.

The ONLY nuts I eat are macadamia nuts. Easy to digest, very nice monounsaturated fat content, and I believe a 1:1 ratio of O3:O6. Almonds are particularly bad because if I'm not mistaken, contain nearly no omega-3 and plenty of omega-6.

Comment

Man, if you can cut out sugar you can cut out nuts. No question. You can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
                            Nuts and seeds are supposed to be an occasional snack, and I think that's where ikaika's problem lies. There's just too much of an omega-6 presence in many nuts which will throw the whole O3:O6 ratio out of whack.

The ONLY nuts I eat are macadamia nuts. Easy to digest, very nice monounsaturated fat content, and I believe a 1:1 ratio of O3:O6. Almonds are particularly bad because if I'm not mistaken, contain nearly no omega-3 and plenty of omega-6.
                            +1

Ikaika,
                            I got a little too "involved" with nut butters myself....they sort of became like ice cream to me....especially cashew butter. I knew that paleolithic man did not have access to tubs of nut butter everynight!!!! I cut out all nuts except my favorite (cashews) and the macadamias (because of the nearly non-existant PUFAs) I now do macadamias only on the weekends, and cashews every other weekend. I've banished the nut butters, as I suspect that was what was keeping me from leaning out. Since doing this I've sort of re-booted my fat burners. The first days are hard, but just get through it! you can do it! Trust me, its worth it, and it will make you enjoy the times that you do eat nuts in the future (instead of by the cupful daily.......ouch!)

Comment

Originally posted by arewolfe View Post
                              Man, if you can cut out sugar you can cut out nuts. No question. You can do it.
                              Thank you! Everyone, thank you... this is exactly the sort of encouragement I needed. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a 'problem...' and I'm particularly glad to hear about your success, lmyers! That's why we're on a forum, yeah? Its nice.

And I've been thinking about the 'gateway' nut (which cracked me up) and I can honestly say I'm not sure. My favorite mix is raw and roasted cashews, macadamia nuts, raw pistachios, raw cacao nibs, raw and toasted almonds, and some raw pumpkin seed with a bit of unsweetened coconut. So, I kept getting into the nasty habit of putting 'one of each' in my palm and popping it back. Decadence!

I do love macadamias, though...

On an unrelated, non-addicted, happy note-- some of my favorite memories are of shuffling down the street with my brother on Big Island, plucking up fallen mac nuts and bringing a pocketful back to Uncle's house to crack open with a hammer and a towel. Good times.

-写

P.S. Thanks, seriously, you guys rock.
                              Little Saiyan

Comment

Working...
                              X