Nuts and Seeds: HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ikaika View Post
    Thank you! Everyone, thank you... this is exactly the sort of encouragement I needed.
    Oh, well if that's all you needed. DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT.. YOU *MUST*. YOUR LIFE IS AT STAKE!! I feel like I overdid that a bit.

Originally posted by ikaika View Post
    I do love macadamias, though...
    And they love you. Seriously, I don't see any harm in a handful of macadamias, even daily. 1:1 O3:O6 ratio, and nothing but monounsaturated fat. Good stuff.

Comment

Guys, I can't seem to find any info that the O6:O3 content of macadamias are 1:1, or even remotely near 1:1. It's more like 6:1.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/n...roducts/3123/2
      http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...acadamia-nuts/

Comment

Originally posted by chickenbackside View Post
        Guys, I can't seem to find any info that the O6:O3 content of macadamias are 1:1, or even remotely near 1:1. It's more like 6:1.

i see very little PUFAs in the attachment.....

Comment

I find (as have others on the forum) that buying nuts in the shell drastically reduces the urge to splurge. I can imagine this would be especially true of macadmias since they are... a tough nut to crack, hahaha. Sorry. But seriously, having to shell the nuts slows you down and will probably discourage you from eating inappropriate amounts. Although I fully advocate giving them up totally for a time. I think if you can go a month or more nut free, that after that you can safely add some back in moderate amounts. Cold turkey or gradual decrease, whatever works for you!

Comment

Originally posted by chickenbackside View Post

You need to change the serving size... one should not eat more than 1-2 ounces of nuts in a day. One ounce of macadamia nuts only has .36 grams of Omega 6's which is extremely low - the lowest out of any nut. Nuts need to be treated as a snack.
            Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Sorry, you're right, macadamia nuts are 6:1 O6:O3. I think I got the wrong ratio from macadamia nut oil which claims to be 1:1.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
                Sorry, you're right, macadamia nuts are 6:1 O6:O3. I think I got the wrong ratio from macadamia nut oil which claims to be 1:1.
                Oh man, Mac nut oil ROCKS!

I'd like to make some mac-nut mayonnaise, but its so expensive...
                Little Saiyan

Comment

*whimper*
                  I believe it is nut-o-clock, as I subconsciously find myself pacing into the kitchen and to where the nut jar used to be. I made a delicious drink instead, soon to be blogged about.
                  Little Saiyan

Comment

STOP. STEP AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN.

Nut-o-clock.. haha. Lately if I'm itching for a snack (you know, those times when you're not really hungry but you feel like eating), I'll go for some blueberries, or an avocado sliced in half, and mash in some lemon juice, and eat out of the shell/skin. Or cook up a couple Italian sausages or something. But, of course, eating just to eat really isn't a great habit anyway, so I mostly just don't eat unless I'm actually hungry. If you're actually hungry, eat something more substantial. If it's just nervous eating, I'd recommend finding another way to channel that.

Comment

i am a firm believer that all cravings pass within 15 mintutes! hang in there!

unless the craving is for meat. i crave steak all week

Comment

I need a steak..
                        "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

I have half of a grilled buffallo steak in my fridge...

(but I'm stretching that for budgets sake!)

I did survive the nut craving... and I've just returned from the farmers market with some lovely looking strawberries and avocados, as well as celery-- I do believe that when I want nuts I want something crunchy, a lot of the time. Of course, half the time, I dip my celery in a nutbutter... LOL!

-写
                          Little Saiyan

Comment

PS - It is probably just delightfully psychosomatic, but when I was passing the mirror this morning after getting ready for the lake, I thought I saw more of a hint that my 'line' was returning-- you know, the dip between your ribcages, upper stomach? As if refraining from nuts for a day was beginning to miraculously resculpt me. HAH! However, did make me feel nice. Indulging in tiny absurdities is sometimes delightful, isn't it?

-写
                            Little Saiyan

Comment

Ikaika, I went through a bunch of the same stuff and posted about it over a month ago. Homemade beef jerky perfectly satisfies the snack urge. It's nice to have around. But I still eat nuts (after kicking them for two weeks). I think they are extremely healthy in moderation.

Comment

Working...
                              X