Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketosis?

Hi all,

I am a recent convert from the zone to the primal diet. I think I have a grasp on the protein, fat and carb intake for fat loss.

Is there a recognizable point or signal where I will know I am in ketosis?

Once I am close to or have reached my goal BF, and ready to start ramping up the carbs to maintenance levels, is it preferable to ease into it over a few weeks or longer or simply make the change?

Thanks!

Originally posted by gunnerm109a6 View Post
    Hi all,

I am a recent convert from the zone to the primal diet. I think I have a grasp on the protein, fat and carb intake for fat loss.

Is there a recognizable point or signal where I will know I am in ketosis?
    I can feel it. I just feel.....different.

Having gone out of ketosis this past weekend thought at a fantastic, totally worth it family party, I decided to buy some ketostix to see how long it takes me to get back into ketosis and to test some theories I have about what it takes to keep me in ketosis.....and how I handle wine.

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

You can buy Ketostix at the drug store which allow you to test your ketone level in your urine. They can be unreliable though. Other telltale signs are a metallic taste/bad breath and smelly urine.

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
        I can feel it. I just feel.....different.
        Yep. I feel less emotional. I taste it in the back of my mouth. I feel more focused. I confirmed these feelings with stix enough times not to bother with them anymore.

Comment

Ketosis for me is marked by the following:

1. decreased appetite
          2. sweeter smelling breath
          3. tons of energy
          4. pink/purple on the ketostix (however, note that many things like time of day, de/hydration level, etc. can impact the color (light pink v. deep purple of the stix)

Caution, however, when drinking alcohol while trying to get into/test for ketosis. Alcohol shows false positives on ketostix.

Katherine - I hear you re: the wine. It's a gateway drug (to food) for me, so it's off my list. I find that when I'm entrenched in ketosis, I get one, maybe two cheat meals before I'm kicked out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal View Post
            Ketosis for me is marked by the following:

1. decreased appetite
            2. sweeter smelling breath
            3. tons of energy
            4. pink/purple on the ketostix (however, note that many things like time of day, de/hydration level, etc. can impact the color (light pink v. deep purple of the stix)

Caution, however, when drinking alcohol while trying to get into/test for ketosis. Alcohol shows false positives on ketostix.
            Interesting.

Katherine - I hear you re: the wine. It's a gateway drug (to food) for me, so it's off my list. I find that when I'm entrenched in ketosis, I get one, maybe two cheat meals before I'm kicked out of it.
            So far, the wine hasn't been a gateway to food - ie it hasn't lowered my inhibitions to the point that I eat things I shouldn't, but after I drink even moderate amounts, I don't feel like I'm in ketosis anymore. I just feel....not ketosis-y. And this is with measured amounts.

Now of course, the last few weekends don't count b/c I drank waaaaayyyyy to much to stay in ketosis no matter what. And this weekend it was *rolls eyes* sangria. ugh. Last weekend was a full bottle of merlot. Last night was three glasses. But my carbs were incredibly low again yesterday.....and today....and i'm starting to feel a shift.

One thing that I think it happening: ketosis is affecting my sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
              Interesting.

So far, the wine hasn't been a gateway to food - ie it hasn't lowered my inhibitions to the point that I eat things I shouldn't, but after I drink even moderate amounts, I don't feel like I'm in ketosis anymore. I just feel....not ketosis-y. And this is with measured amounts.

Now of course, the last few weekends don't count b/c I drank waaaaayyyyy to much to stay in ketosis no matter what. And this weekend it was *rolls eyes* sangria. ugh. Last weekend was a full bottle of merlot. Last night was three glasses. But my carbs were incredibly low again yesterday.....and today....and i'm starting to feel a shift.

One thing that I think it happening: ketosis is affecting my sleep.
              Just curious, how is ketosis affecting your sleep?
              Mermaid

Comment

Originally posted by Mermaid View Post
                Just curious, how is ketosis affecting your sleep?
                When I'm in ketosis, i'm not sleeping more than 4-6h and have amassed a massive sleep deficit. And yes, I'm really really tired.

I also started having migraines again and for the first time ever, filled an rx for maxalt. I'm not sure if that's ketosis or 'other'

Comment

Working...
                X