Cocoa Powder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocoa Powder

Okay so I need throw out the dutch processed cocoa powder i've been eating (daily) and replace it with something else.

I don't want to buy specialty cocoa powder because i'm sick to death of having to order specialty shit off the internet. 9 dollars + 7 dollars shipping for a 6oz can of cocoa powder that won't kill me is ridiculous.

The only ingredient in Hershey's original cocoa powder is cocoa.

Please tell me this is okay to eat and not poison and wont kill me.
    Last edited by Rivvin; 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM.

No, don't throw it away, it will not kill you. However you will not get all the benefits from cocoa.

Read my last post on the other thread.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

It's certainly not a health food, that's for true. The media loves to tout the heart-healthy effects of cocoa, and I agree that it inhibits LDL oxidation to a degree, but it also has a lot of poisonous junk and so it belongs in the 20% category. Maybe fermentation would help with the poison issue.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
        It's certainly not a health food, that's for true. The media loves to tout the heart-healthy effects of cocoa, and I agree that it inhibits LDL oxidation to a degree, but it also has a lot of poisonous junk and so it belongs in the 20% category. Maybe fermentation would help with the poison issue.
        I commented on something like this in the other thread. I love cocoa powder in my coffee and I love it mixed in with my coconut milk and berries.

The problem is it seems like every day another food is called "poison" that I regularly consume.

It's really fucking depressing.

edit: I'm probably going to continue eating daily cocoa powder, I can't keep giving up foods everytime I read something negative. Life is going to suck if I keep giving everything up.

Comment

Maybe the depression is caused by the cocoa?

I think it's somewhat better if hot, so the coffee combo may be better.
          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Chose your poison.

Comment

I broke down and bought some goddamn Navitas Naturals cocoa powder might as well eat the good stuff if i'm going to eat it

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                I broke down and bought some goddamn Navitas Naturals cocoa powder might as well eat the good stuff if i'm going to eat it
                ~30$ for 32 oz sounds like a great deal. I'll probably buy that in the future.

And relax man, you lost 150 pounds. Shit I don't even weight 150 lbs I think. Have some chocolate!

Comment

I know a bit about cocoa powder (chocolate too) and most of the "natural" cocoa powders are really no different than "conventional". Something like 65% of the world's cocoa comes from West Africa. Dutched cocoa just means that the cocoa was treated to with alkali to mellow the flavor and help it disperse. Natural cocoa is used primarily in baking.

Cocoa is the source of the antioxident properties in dark chocolate. Chocolate is cocoa, cocoa butter (fat), sugar, vanilla and usually contain trace amounts of soy lecithin as an emulsifier.
                  "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Comment

Conventional cocoa powder is fumigated (sterilized) with propylene oxide. A chemical labeled a “probable human carcinogen” by the EPA. Its use in treating food is banned in Canada, the European Union, and most other countries. Most conventional spices and conventional "raw" almonds are sterilized with Propylene Oxide as well.

I use Navitas Naturals c-a-c-a-o powder. You can find it at Wholefoods but it's a rip off. You can get it from vitacost.com for under $14/pound.

Comment

As there is no link to the "other thread" could someone please fill us in on the evils of cocoa. I have a cup of hot cocoa, made from 100% cocoa and nothing else by hot water, every evening for its antioxidant properties, as part of my programme to reverse artherosclerosis
                      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Hmm... somehow I missed the cocoa debate. I have a canister of Hersey's Special Dark cocoa powder that I use occasionally. I'd like to know what the pros and cons are of the stuff, and what I should be looking for in a better product.

Comment

Live it up, there are worse things you can eat, lol
                          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Isn't all cocoa powder processed to make it powder? I think if there's no ingredients besides cocoa then it can't be too bad, at least that's what I like to think b/c I eat cocoa powder too, nothing fancy either.

Comment

Try organic raw "cacao" powder instead of "cocoa" powder. Basically the thing but less processed (It's cacao nibs minus the fat. The fat is then made into cacao butter, which is expensive as hell so I've never tried it... but the powder is delicious in place of cocoa).

Comment

Working...
                              X