best store bought mayonnaise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best store bought mayonnaise?

I would like to start making my own, but for now I'm busy with all the usual summer happenings and would love to know what the best commercially prepared mayo is from the primal standpoint.

Any recommendations?
    My journal

Best Food Regular, Full fat...it has the BEST taste and low carbs no sugar...... :-) (ingredient list nice and short)

Comment

The best store bought mayonnaise is no store-bought mayonnaise. Seriously. Just don't eat mayonnaise if you can't make your own. Industrial seed oils are death.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
        The best store bought mayonnaise is no store-bought mayonnaise. Seriously. Just don't eat mayonnaise if you can't make your own. Industrial seed oils are death.
        +1

Make your own mayo. It only takes a few minutes, so time is no excuse.

Have fun with it. I like to play with different olive oils to see how it will affect the flavor (my mom makes a killer basil mayo).

I once even made a mayo made completely out of liquid bacon grease, although after the mayo was refrigerated it became very very hard.
        --
        Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

Ok, I will give it a shot. Now to hunt a good recipe (good = easy/fast/tasty). Thanks!
          My journal

Comment

The whole 'mayonnaise is easy to make' mantra is bullshit! I've tried to make mayo 3 times and each time it's a runny, foul tasting waste of time and money.
            I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

I've found that the key to making your own mayo is a stick blender. I wouldn't even try without one.

Comment

I saw a mayo in the store made with sunflower seed oil, which creeps me out less than canola or soy oils. Maybe you could find that one... it was in the "natural foods" section with all the organic stuff. I can't remember the brand.
                "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I agree--you MUST use an immersion blender--then its way easy. Don't even try whipping by hand IMO....
                  My Before/After Pics
                  Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Kraft Olive Oil Mayo. full fat

Comment

From all of the store bought options, Trader Joe's Organic mayo isn't bad. No sugar added. But, the soybean oil..... I try to make my own when I can.

Comment

Whole Foods brand has an expeller pressed canola mayo. I know, canola is evil but atleast it's expeller pressed and is mostly monounsaturated not PUFA like the soybean mayo.

Comment

the "olive oil" mayo many brands have out now still contain vegetable oils.

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                            the "olive oil" mayo many brands have out now still contain vegetable oils.
                            I was going to mention that. It bugs the hell out of me. Its like, canola mayo with a bit of olive in it :P. Spectrum, you dirty dirty liar.

I make my own with a little food processor and the dips in the top have a little air hole, which I pour the oil into and it drizzles it for me. However, it tastes WAY too lemony and is never great tasting and makes me sad to eat. I'm going to try with rosemary-avocado oil and vinegar next time.

Stabby, I do not eat canola oil. However, I don't understand it and avoid it because I feel that I should, in all the primal hullaballoo, so please give input into if-its-ever-good and the oft claimed 'omega-3s' and expeller-pressed etc.

-写
                            Little Saiyan

Comment

Since going primal, I just haven't been using mayo much. Mustard is the one condiment that I still use frequently. For some reason it's the one thing that hasn't been loaded up with HFCS and vegetable oil. I probably should have typed that in though, they'll probably reformulate now just to help everyone meet they're daily quota of vitamin S.
                              My mother fixed some season burgers on the 4th. One of the things that she set out was my old favorite BBQ sauce and was surprised when I didn't use any of it. These days, considering that HFCS was the second ingredient, it just doesn't have the same appeal that it used to.
                              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Working...
                              X