Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't afford the book yet will you please advise whats terrible to ingest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't afford the book yet will you please advise whats terrible to ingest?

My shopping list varies from week to week but here are the things that do come into my cart at some point each month.

Milk
    wheat bread
    Chicken thin sliced breasts
    Chop meat ( likely to stop eating all red meat) Buns. Processed white.
    Bananas
    Sweet Gerkins Pickles
    Strawberries
    Avocados
    Grapes
    Pears
    plums
    plots
    almonds
    pecans
    almonds
    lettuce pre mixed salads
    Peanut butter
    Kidney beans
    OJ
    fat free vanilla yogurt
    raisins
    quick quaker oats
    decaf coffee

Since i can't get the book I'm forced to ask for help with basic things.
    I rest easy being proud that i have gone to such a natural diet from mostly frozen
    selections like potato wedges, tacos and other toaster oven junk.
    I eat when hungry as opposed to morning noon and night or other schedules advised.

Ps i typically have one fast food meal a week, could be anywhere.

Can somebody edit this list into two groups. Primal and why vs Not primal and why. Then I'll l know when i want another food from the store if its primal or not based on the education i get here.

Get rid of everything except for the meat, fruit, nuts and salads. The reason is simply because the rest wasn't around in Primal days, so our bodies haven't evolved to cope with them, and they provoke an allergic response in a lot of people. Even if you can't afford the book, there is a lot of information on this site and others that you need to read.

Comment

I would suggest if you can't pick up the book, check out your local library or request it.

The paleo dieat by Loren Cordain is an alternative to get most of the rationale for the diet, although I prefer the Primal Blueprint's whole lifestyle approach compared to Cordain's diet part. They also have some different stances on staturated fat.

Another way to get the basics on the diet part without the book is the Primal 101 (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/) section on the website here or Panu.com (http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/)

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
        Get rid of everything except for the meat, fruit, nuts and salads. The reason is simply because the rest wasn't around in Primal days, so our bodies haven't evolved to cope with them, and they provoke an allergic response in a lot of people. Even if you can't afford the book, there is a lot of information on this site and others that you need to read.
        She has it right here, it's not much more difficult than following this. Don't stop eating red meat, red meat is good for you and has lots of fat.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
          Yep!

I also started without the book but I read pretty much every link under the Primal Blueprint 101 on the site, it has so much info to absorb and you can definitely get most of the info you need there to live a Primal lifestyle.
          Went Primal: 3/28/2010 - 43 lbs lost!
          Over 15 inches gone!

Primal Journal ~ Jadeocean

Comment

Read any of the Primal 101 blog posts or Definitive Guides for free on this very website.
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I think you'll find this a very friendly, helpful forum...full of people who are much more willing to help those who help themselves.

In other words: +1 on the "read the Primal 101" advice. The information they offer is free and simple to understand and apply.
              Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
                Read any of the Primal 101 blog posts or Definitive Guides for free on this very website.
                Exactly what I was going to say. I learned a ton well before I purchased and read the book. Just get reading around the site and you'll be astonished how much info is in Mark's archives. You can also just google Primal shopping list or some such and you'll get lots of hits. Good luck to you!
                My journal

Comment

If you want to read the book and do not wish to buy new try a recycled one. I use ABE Books on the internet for things I want to read but cant invest in heavily. ABE aggregates a few thousand used book store inventories in a central database and seamlessly handles checkout. I use their college bookshop to find bargains for my son who is in college now. See this link:
                  http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...eprint&x=0&y=0
                  They used to call me No Neck, but now I have one.

Comment

thank you guys so much. My issue with red meat is its effects on psoriasis. I'm told its an irritant. So it might have to go.

Comment

For psoriasis, be sure you are getting sufficient vitamin D, and try to eat at least one serving of high omega 3 fish per week, like salmon, plus fish oil supplements. Most importantly, go out in the mid-day sun and expose the affected area to direct sunlight . For some people, zinc deficiency is an issue with psoriasis and dermatitis, beef is the best food source.

Comment

Ditch the bread, ditch the chicken breasts and get dark meat (thighs) with the skin on and the bone in instead, ditch the buns!, get higher-fat ground beef (which is what I assume you mean by "chop meat"), ditch the gherkins, bananas, grapes, kidney beans, yogurt, raisins, and oats.

Simple rules for Primal: if it's a grain of any kind (including oats and corn), don't eat it. If it's a legume of any kind (including peas, beans, chickpeas and peanuts), don't eat it. If it's processed "food" (including vegetable oils and margarine), don't eat it. If it's high in sugar, eat with caution and sparingly (fruit, for example, falls into this category - your best bet is berries over anything else). If it's a starchy vegetable (such as potato), don't eat it. If it's labeled "low-fat," don't eat it.

If it's high-fat meat (steak, ground beef, dark meat chicken, dark meat turkey, pork), eat it! If it's a non-starchy vegetable (salad stuff), eat it! If it's a nut or a seed, eat a little of it - maybe a quarter cup. If it's dairy, you have to choose, but choose hard cheeses over liquidy dairy like milk if you must eat it. Heavy cream is a better choice than milk.

Internalize these mantras: Carbs drive insulin production. Insulin production drives (among other things) heart disease, diabetes, and fat storage. Fat is good for you. Carbs are not.

There's also a Primal 101 reference set on this site, and I see that Geekfish has already pointed you at it. Good luck!
                        Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Awesome summary Griff.

Although I feel compelled to include the stipulation that all those red meats should be of the grass fed variety as your budget will allow. Not because it's snooty or better for the environment (although that alone is compelling)... but for the same reasons coconut oil is recommended over grape seed oil.

An important part of the objective is to reduce your overall exposure to omega-6's and increase your 3's to bring the ratios closer to sanity. Grain fed meat (pretty much everything in your standard grocery store) has a very poor ratio of 6/3 and its stored in the fat - so many folks recommend that if you cannot afford grass fed, to go with leaner cuts. If you can get grass fed, get yourself some fatty goodness.

That maybe getting in too much detail for someone just getting into this stuff but I think it's an important point to keep in mind. Heck, if you are shifting from a standard American diet to Paleo - who cares about the details, worry about them later, you are already doing a huge service to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Styleten View Post
                            thank you guys so much. My issue with red meat is its effects on psoriasis. I'm told its an irritant. So it might have to go.
                            It's actually not.

the key thing for psoriais is fixing your zinc and vitamin d deficiencies

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Red meat, especially grass-fed beef isn't responsible for any diseases. Including gout. It's all lies! Lies! Run away! Believe nothing!

One of these days the CW silly machine will have to swallow their pride, if swallowing all of the other crap that they do hasn't put them in the grave by then.

I'm unpopular for this but besides the usual culprits, I don't think that nuts and seeds are particularly healthy. Lots of omega 6 except for macadamias.
                              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X