Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are bananas keeping me from getting a flat stomach?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    Completely false.
    Not completely. I thought that I would easily lose more weight going from a 40/40/20 CW diet to 35/15/50 diet on PB at the same calories, and still did not lose weight after 6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
      Bananas are high in carbs, and a great derailer of health. I'd avoid them on principle.
      They are NOT a derailer of health. Fruit is very nutritious. Yes, bananas have a lot of carbs but no one should avoid them on principle.

Originally posted by Mainer View Post
      If your concerned about potassium, add coconut water to your diet, it has tons of potassium and I utilize it when mtn biking to help with the electrolyte loss from excessive sweating.
      Yes! I LOVE coconut water. I personally buy Vita Coco brand off of amazon. I love it to death. Sure, its got a lot of carbs but they are possibly the most healthiest carbs you can eat. Tons of electrolytes - the best liquid source.

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
      2 bananas a day will run you about 80g carbs, which doesn't leave you much for other foods if you're trying to stay under 100g/day (Mark's "sweet spot for fat loss") ...and in terms of nutrition, they offer considerably less benefit than most other fruit/veg options.

Bananas aren't evil, nor are carbs in general, but they can certainly be overdone.
      One medium banana has 26 grams of carbs... so thats 52 grams...

Yes, they are not as nutritious as other fruits and veggies but they do add a lot of flavor to many things. Perfect for smoothies! I enjoy 1/2 medium bananas at one time mostly too making it only 13 carbs and low on the GI and GL.
      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
        Completely false.
        I'm amazed people still believe this. Grappler is completely correct. Neither high nor low carb holds any kind of metabolic advantage, protein being equal.

See this for a lengthy clarification on the subject. Well worth the read.

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
          Because bacon has tons of omega 6 which could prevent weight loss....

I eat bananas everyday and I am losing weight and gaining muscle. This while keeping my omega balance to 1:1 (meaning no bacon).
          I don't mean this to sound like an attack.

Didn't you go like zero carb for a while? And 1,000 calories/day? If that was you, at the time you were swearing by it and how anyone who told you different was wrong. Now you're hardcore omega3:6 ratio and nothing else seems to matter according to you. I appreciate your experimentation, and am interested in the results because I think our idea of the perfect diet still needs adjusting, but maybe you could try not to assume that what you are currently doing is the one and only right answer?

Experimentation is fantastic, but don't fall in love with your hypothesis at the cost of rejecting everything else.

If that wasn't you then just ignore this post. Mostly.

On topic: I think banana's are fine depending on your goals and circumstances. When first switching to PB/paleo I think they are a crutch and should be eliminated for a time. If you're already lean but are working for that last little bit I think they should be cut. If you are anywhere in between and weight loss is still progressing, then I think they're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Alzen View Post
            I don't mean this to sound like an attack.

Didn't you go like zero carb for a while? And 1,000 calories/day? If that was you, at the time you were swearing by it and how anyone who told you different was wrong. Now you're hardcore omega3:6 ratio and nothing else seems to matter according to you. I appreciate your experimentation, and am interested in the results because I think our idea of the perfect diet still needs adjusting, but maybe you could try not to assume that what you are currently doing is the one and only right answer?

Experimentation is fantastic, but don't fall in love with your hypothesis at the cost of rejecting everything else.

If that wasn't you then just ignore this post. Mostly.

On topic: I think banana's are fine depending on your goals and circumstances. When first switching to PB/paleo I think they are a crutch and should be eliminated for a time. If you're already lean but are working for that last little bit I think they should be cut. If you are anywhere in between and weight loss is still progressing, then I think they're fine.
            Yes that was me, and that carnivore experiment was a failure.

In any event, you cannot go wrong with maintaining a 1:1 omega ratio. I don't know whether that is actually helping weight loss or not, but I plan on keeping it that way.
            .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
            ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by DeadRockstar View Post
              I'm amazed people still believe this. Grappler is completely correct. Neither high nor low carb holds any kind of metabolic advantage, protein being equal.
              If you're saying that two individuals, who have equal protein intake in their diets but one is low carb and one is high carb, would see the same weight loss results.. I strongly disagree based on my own experiences and the experiences of others. Besides, PB is not about low carb, it's about healthy carbs. You've read the book, right? Weight loss is all about the intake of healthy fats which get burned upon consumption, rather than getting stored.

John: I have a feeling there's some other reason you didn't experience weight loss even after 6 weeks. Everyone I know who has diligently followed the PB has seen great results. What was your diet like? (and I'm not sure what the 40/40/20 and 35/15/50 numbers mean)

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                They are NOT a derailer of health. Fruit is very nutritious. Yes, bananas have a lot of carbs but no one should avoid them on principle.
                There's no reason why you need to get nutrition from fruit. Labeling fruit as nutritious and part of a healthy diet is just an excuse to gorge on high carb, sugary food. The nutritional content of 1 medium banana has more carbs/sugar than a Snickers bar. If I fortified a snickers bar with some fiber and vitamins, would you call that "very nutritious"? Not to mention the Snickers bar has less fructose to boot. And the nutritional value of fruit has decreased with current agricultural methods. The Banana of today does not have the same nutritional value of the past.

So to answer the OP, yes eating bananas and other fruit has probably hampered your weight loss efforts. Fruit is carbs, which raises insulin, which stalls fat loss.

Comment

Originally posted by BroScience View Post
                  There's no reason why you need to get nutrition from fruit. Labeling fruit as nutritious and part of a healthy diet is just an excuse to gorge on high carb, sugary food. The nutritional content of 1 medium banana has more carbs/sugar than a Snickers bar. If I fortified a snickers bar with some fiber and vitamins, would you call that "very nutritious"? Not to mention the Snickers bar has less fructose to boot. And the nutritional value of fruit has decreased with current agricultural methods. The Banana of today does not have the same nutritional value of the past.
                  A Snickers bar is full of inedible shit like grains, vegetable oils, preservatives, etc. And what is your point about their being similar? I bet you could eat 1 Snickers bar a day and still lose weight. Not that any of us here would do that, but just saying.

So to answer the OP, yes eating bananas and other fruit has probably hampered your weight loss efforts. Fruit is carbs, which raises insulin, which stalls fat loss.
                  This is a very narrow-minded and ignorant statement. It's not that simple.
                  .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                  ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

The nutritional content of 1 medium banana has more carbs/sugar than a Snickers bar.
                    Hardly. A Snickers bar is approx 34.5g of carbs, 28.8g from sugar. A banana is approx 27g of carbs, 14g from sugar. Plus, you're not considering all the extra bad stuff that exists in a Snickers bar. And, you're not accounting for GI and GL.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-fruit-choices/

Some fruits are healthier than others, obviously. But to say "labeling fruit as nutritious and part of a healthy diet is just an excuse to gorge on high carb, sugary food" is completely ridiculous.

Comment

Pardon me for being snarky, but as a side note: I may not have all the answers with regards to PB, and I still need to incorporate exercise into my routine which could partly be why I feel like I've hit a plateau. However, over the course of five months I've lost over 30 lbs, am now 162 lbs, and I've dropped my body fat by 6%. I hardly think people who have failed to achieve similar results through the PB lifestyle have any room to come here and give advice on how to lose weight.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadRockstar View Post

See this for a lengthy clarification on the subject. Well worth the read.
                        To be fair, here's the other side of the coin as I still think there's plenty of room to debate the issue:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/m...-man-obsessed/
                        http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/w...dismemberment/
                        http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/w...tique-part-ii/

I'd apologize for the length of these posts I linked to, but I didn't write 'em.

Comment

The fact of the matter is calories in calories out is a fact of life. It's a basic law of nature. It cannot be disputed. lol =)
                          "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                            The fact of the matter is calories in calories out is a fact of life. It's a basic law of nature. It cannot be disputed. lol =)
                            I'd say a law of nature is that we need oxygen to survive. Or, we die if we stop drinking water. But the whole calorie thing, I think you're oversimplifying it. It's like saying "fat intake = weight gain," which appears to make sense, but it's completely wrong. For what it's worth, I've known plenty of calorie-counters who see little to no results in weight loss. And I certainly am not watching calories, yet I've lost quite a bit of weight and dropped several inches off my waistline. I can't complain, it's worked for me.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole calorie thing. Clearly there are two camps there.

Comment

Are you seriously comparing a banana with a snickers bar? There is no comparison. I will never eat a Snickers bar for the rest of my life. Bananas? Oh, I will be eating plenty of these. And, again, 1/2 a banana is very low carb. Saying I enjoy bananas is not making an excuse to gorge on high carb sugary food. I enjoy fruit and have a right too as it is primal/paleo/real food and tasty and goes great with many recipes or by itself.

Fruit is carbs... well so is veggies. Eating 1/2 banana will NOT raise your insulin all that much... it is LOW on the GI, GL, etc.

Ok, done. You don't know what you are talking about dude
                              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

lol, i was gonna compare it to the oxygen thing =)
                                "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Working...
                                X