Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are bananas keeping me from getting a flat stomach?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 bananas a day will run you about 80g carbs, which doesn't leave you much for other foods if you're trying to stay under 100g/day (Mark's "sweet spot for fat loss") ...and in terms of nutrition, they offer considerably less benefit than most other fruit/veg options.

Bananas aren't evil, nor are carbs in general, but they can certainly be overdone.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Styleten View Post
      Please recommend me a potassium resource to help with the prevention of cramping. I'm starting to use sea salt but haven't learned how yet.
      PM to the OP
      How about just taking a potassium supplement? That's what I do and I haven't had any problems with cramping since I started taking two 99 mg potassium capsules every night before bed.
      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Aye, all carbs are not evil - I refuse to be lumped in with the Atkins guys, haha - but the quality of your nutrients is important... you'd be much better served to get your 80g of carbs from veggies and some berries than from 2 bananas as BarbeyGirl suggests. This is particularly true if your goal is to get very lean and lose belly fat.

Don't forget things don't simply boil down to macro nutrient content. I love bananas almost as much as I love bacon but I rarely eat them because my intention is to lose body fat right now. If my goals were different, say maintaining weight or doing more endurance athletics, I might eat them more frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by lecz0r View Post
          I love bananas almost as much as I love bacon but I rarely eat them because my intention is to lose body fat right now.
          Why would bacon go against your goal? Everyone says to eat more of these fatty meats in order to burn fat, and I have to agree.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
            Why would bacon go against your goal? Everyone says to eat more of these fatty meats in order to burn fat, and I have to agree.
            It doesn't! Sorry, my English was not very clear - I eat tons of bacon but avoid bananas.

Comment

It doesn't! Sorry, my English was not very clear - I eat tons of bacon but avoid bananas.
              Oh woops, re-reading that again, I got it. "Them" meant bananas, not bananas & bacon. My mistake.

Comment

Dude... bananas and bacon sounds really tasty right now.

haha

Actually... I might get crazy one morning and wrap a banana in a couple slices of bacon and fry it up. Everything is better wrapped in bacon!

Comment

Because bacon has tons of omega 6 which could prevent weight loss....

I eat bananas everyday and I am losing weight and gaining muscle. This while keeping my omega balance to 1:1 (meaning no bacon).
                  .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                  ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

If your concerned about potassium, add coconut water to your diet, it has tons of potassium and I utilize it when mtn biking to help with the electrolyte loss from excessive sweating.
                    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                      Because bacon has tons of omega 6 which could prevent weight loss....

I eat bananas everyday and I am losing weight and gaining muscle. This while keeping my omega balance to 1:1 (meaning no bacon).
                      Point taken, but no need to be snarky about it. 6s are certainly high in bacon, I'll consider cutting it down or out and see how things go.
                      I've been eating bacon every other day and I'm losing fat and gaining muscle as well. I don't think a single item is going to preclude anyone from that if you are more or less eating Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                        I eat bananas everyday and I am losing weight and gaining muscle.
                        Me too. Lost all the weight I wanted to lose -- including getting rid of my belly fat -- and gained muscle eating 1-2 bananas daily.

Comment

Point taken, but no need to be snarky about it. 6s are certainly high in bacon, I'll consider cutting it down or out and see how things go.
                          I've been eating bacon every other day and I'm losing fat and gaining muscle as well. I don't think a single item is going to preclude anyone from that if you are more or less eating Paleo.
                          If you are still losing then I wouldn't change a thing. Most people on here don't limit their bacon and they are still doing great..Maybe something to think about when the weight loss stalls but until then I say bacon is not worth giving up
                          The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

Yea, still losing, although its been slow. I'll probably cut down on the bacon but keep it in the diet.

What I am going to do though, is remove all nuts and diary (except HWC) for a month or so and see how things level out. I'd like to have sort of a base level from where I can add things back in one at a time and see how they effect me. During the transition phase I used nuts and dairy pretty heavily as a crutch - seems like a lot of folks do - but I'm now at a point where they don't call my name as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainer View Post
                              If your concerned about potassium, add coconut water to your diet, it has tons of potassium and I utilize it when mtn biking to help with the electrolyte loss from excessive sweating.
                              Coconut water is great.

Dont forget calories in calories out people. That is #1, macronutrient ratios come second.
                              "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                                Dont forget calories in calories out people. That is #1
                                Completely false.

Comment

Working...
                                X