Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best, juiciest, most fatty cut of steak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best, juiciest, most fatty cut of steak?

I just came home with tri-tip and cooked it on my Cuisinart Griddler. Not that impressed.. I thought it was going to be really tender & juicy, but then I read later it's a good "lean" cut. Bah!

What's a good cut of steak for us Primal types who aren't afraid of fatty meats?

Tongue. Not technically steak but the best and fattiest part of the cow.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Just a note on tri tip--used to be the cut for stew meat! At least until the Santa Maria style BBQ got popular in the 80's..... Fattiest steak, prime rib or rib eye (same cut--prime has the bone, rib eye doesn't) or maybe a nice untrimmed Tbone or Porterhouse...
      Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      Re-Start date 6/23/2011
      me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
      273.4/269.3/115
      Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
        Tongue. Not technically steak but the best and fattiest part of the cow.
        No it's not.
        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Yup, T-bone or rib-eye.
          Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

<3 ribeye. Having that for the 4th. Nom.
            Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
            http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
            Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

Ribeye is awesome. T-bone is my second favorite. Yum!
              ~Sandy

Comment

Cool, ribeye wins then! Next time I hit the store, I'll grab some. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                  No it's not.
                  Ah you're right. Technically rib eye does have more fat to protein. For whatever reason steaks, even the fattier ones just never seem fatty enough when compared to the tongue. I think it's because in the tongue all of the fat and protein are intertwined in a juicy, fleshy bundle of goodness so no bite is lacking in fat. Not that I have much against steaks.
                  Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                    Ah you're right. Technically rib eye does have more fat to protein. For whatever reason steaks, even the fattier ones just never seem fatty enough when compared to the tongue. I think it's because in the tongue all of the fat and protein are intertwined in a juicy, fleshy bundle of goodness so no bite is lacking in fat. Not that I have much against steaks.
                    I've had a whole tongue before, and it wasn't fatty at all. Maybe because it was grass-fed? It was tough to chew and not very tasty. Meh. Not something I'd care to buy again.
                    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

i gotta vote for ribeye too.
                      i got some bone-in rib meat from a local grower, butchered from a local butcher (im so excited, just picked up 1/4 of a cow today!) grilling on the barbee right now. mmmm.

Comment

Tri tip needs a hot grill and some chimichuri sauce, charred on the outside but pretty rare in the middle, if done right it's delicious though lean, done wrong and it sucks. Hard to screw up rare ribeye with butter and mushrooms. My own favorite will always be a bone-in rib roast, about 5 lb on the table, rare, with all the trimmings.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

@tfarny--so true! Tri tip needs a grill and needs to be rare--talking about BBQ'ing, my cousin got married back in '85 in Santa Maria and a friend of the family gave her like 150 pounds of tri tip as a wedding present--and it got BBQ'ed for dinner, served up with salsa and pinquito beans... soo good!
                          Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
                          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                          Re-Start date 6/23/2011
                          me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
                          273.4/269.3/115
                          Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

Cool, will try super hot temps next time.. I do have one more piece left in the freezer.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X