This is just too funny, and then what follows is just sad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is just too funny, and then what follows is just sad

A slideshow extolling high carb diets with some mystery element called "Resistant Starch" and then an anti low carb slideshow as well:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery...359383,00.html

wow.....just....wow. I've never seen so much misinformation packed into one place...ever. The low carb hating was the best.

edit: Lol, the comments restored some of my faith in humanity. Looks like some people don't fall for the BS.

Comment

WOW!!! I wonder if the author of that article was paid by the US Grains Council or some other carb lobby!

Comment

Make sure to check out the comments. They're gold.

Comment

Man, they have a plethora of these terrible slideshows. Here is one on magical fat burning resistant starches: http://www.health.com/health/gallery...361484,00.html

Assuming 'resistant starch' is fiber.....so now instead of looking at anything else on the label are people going to go "well, it has my resistant starch, I see no problem eating this doughnut, or 10"
          Erin
          Daily Vlogs
          Primal Pets Blog

Comment

first time i've heard of "resistant starch", they talk about combining brown rice with beans (which makes a complete protein). I like how the pictures they use with their points contradict the points they're trying to make.... carbs fill you up, picture of a person with some meat on their fork. low carbs make you binge, person stuffing their face with potato chips.

as for the constipation point, i've found that it's only when i'm not eating enough fat that i have any issues. it's a very easy and obvious way for my body to tell me the balance isn't right.
            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

I replied to it. I had more fun w/ the comments than the article. The article made me sick. Eating the way they pimped MADE me sick, for too many years to count. I hope the author of that book gets NO royalties from it. WTF.
              Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
              http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
              Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

Why is it then that all the people i see eating grain and bean heavy foods are hungry every two hrs? they must not be eating enough bread and beans with that websites BS to fill them up enough. i can go 24 hrs without barely even a stomach grumble thanks to low carb eating, i would have completely lost faith in humanity had i not read the comments on that article that was the only good part about it. My favorite pic was the women looking just completely nourished and satisfied from that dry piece of bread.

Comment

Notice the slide with the guy and pets staring into a refrigerator? The only visible item is beer....

So I read every comment...I counted 1 person who insisted that every other commenter was wrong. HE eats carbs daily, and isn't fat...must mean that he's right, and 40+ others (plus tons of research) are all mistaken. Sheesh!
                  Last edited by reddhedd; 06-30-2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

The grain industry is utterly scared to death of low carb diets and primal diets.

I've been trying to gain weight recently and let me tell you, it is incredibly, incredibly, very hard to do without eating a lot of carbs. I literally have to chug a gallon of milk a day, lol. Carbs make you gain weight, or in my case, HELP you gain weight!!
                    Last edited by BlazeKING; 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I receive Health magazine as a gift. The last issue was *jam packed* with the "carb lovers diet" info. I will be canceling my subscription.
                      Last edited by Puddymama; 06-30-2010, 03:36 PM.

Comment

OMG, they're suggesting we eat 361 grams of carbs a day!!!
                        HOLY CRAP!!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleNappingLion View Post
                          OMG, they're suggesting we eat 361 grams of carbs a day!!!
                          HOLY CRAP!!
                          when i was trying to gain weight for football my breakfast was ~260g of carbs. I was regularly eating 600 + carbs a day.
                          I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

The part that bothers me the most are the images that seem to suggest that eating bread is...orgasmic?

http://img2.timeinc.net/health/image...up-400x400.jpg

http://img2.timeinc.net/health/image...ng-400x400.jpg

Comment

yeah and the picture of the doctor... come on. "When scientists fed rats a diet rich in Resistant Starch, it increased the activity of fat-burning enzymes and decreased the activity of fat-storing enzymes. This means that the belly-fat cells were less likely to soak up and store calories as fat."

maybe because even the rats body knows it has to burn that shit off... and it seems research should indicate an overall decrease in fat storing enzymes... not just in the belly, like they suggest, AND picture.

That has to be the most ridiculous article I have read in a while..
                              Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X