Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts slow weight loss?

Am I misunderstanding this? Why?

I'm looking to cut a minimum of fifteen pounds of fat and have been using macademia nuts and almond butter to keep my fat intake up, and I'm wondering if that is a mistake.

I'm (im)patiently awaiting the arrival of the book, so if it's in there, feel free to throw a rock or something!

Thanks!
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

I believe the primary problem with nuts is their caloric density and the inability of 99.999999% of the general populace to control their portions. They're super-easy to go overboard with and if you're trying to lose total calories can/do matter to an extent.

Comment

Ah. That makes sense. Lucky for me, I have (so far) had the foresight to portion them out and bring only my baggie of nuts.

Perhaps butter balls ought to be next in line. Those are NOT easy to overindulge with!
      Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

Originally posted by Eklecktika View Post
        Perhaps butter balls ought to be next in line. Those are NOT easy to overindulge with!
        Don't be so sure. (-:
        Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

"There is no such thing is too much butter"

-Mark Sisson.

"There is no such thing is too much balls"

-Anonymous.

Calories do have a part to play in this whole weight loss thing but the more concerning factor is omega 6 linoleic acid which contributes to insulin/leptin resistance and many inflammatory disorders when consumed in excess. Nuts tend to be good sources of vitamin e and magnesium and so you'll find some studies that find nuts like almonds to be good for keeping weight off but my reasoning is if we can get those from other sources without the omega 6 we'll be healthier. Macadamias don't have much of it at all though so they tend to be regarded as the best nut. They're best soaked.
          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

If you are really craving nuts, go to whole foods and buy some organic (unsweetened) coconut shavings. Delicious.
            --
            Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

Working...
            X