X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Healthy A "Mental Disorder"

These people are insane.

http://www.naturalnews.com/029098_or..._disorder.html

(NaturalNews) In its never-ending attempt to fabricate "mental disorders" out of every human activity, the psychiatric industry is now pushing the most ridiculous disease they've invented yet: Healthy eating disorder.

This is no joke: If you focus on eating healthy foods, you're "mentally diseased" and probably need some sort of chemical treatment involving powerful psychotropic drugs. The Guardian newspaper reports, "Fixation with healthy eating can be sign of serious psychological disorder" and goes on to claim this "disease" is called orthorexia nervosa -- which is basically just Latin for "nervous about correct eating."

But they can't just called it "nervous healthy eating disorder" because that doesn't sound like they know what they're talking about. So they translate it into Latin where it sounds smart (even though it isn't). That's where most disease names come from: Doctors just describe the symptoms they see with a name like osteoporosis (which means "bones with holes in them").

Getting back to this fabricated "orthorexia" disease, the Guardian goes on to report, "Orthorexics commonly have rigid rules around eating. Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions. Any foods that have come into contact with pesticides, herbicides or contain artificial additives are also out."
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

I think I'm getting this. Maybe work will let me take some disability leave.

Comment

Originally posted by fufonzo View Post
      ...Maybe work will let me take some disability leave.
      LOL!

Hi, I'm Funkadelic Flash and I'm an orthorexic...

ETA: When you look at the wikipedia article, it makes a bit more sense. It's not just people who eat healthy, but those who eschew fat, raw vegans, etc. Basically, people who "think" they are doing something healthy, but in reality are hurting themselves and usually end up emaciated in the long run.
      Last edited by Funkadelic Flash; 06-29-2010, 08:06 AM.

Comment

this study must have been funded by the bog corp food lobby.

Comment

Originally posted by invino77 View Post
          this study must have been funded by the bog corp food lobby.
          That's what I'm thinking, because no study in the world will find healthy eating bad for you. Its how we evolved...
          Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Comment

just another way for pharmaceuticals to market something to make money on... it's so pathetic its laughable...

Comment

Well the journalist certainly lets his or her bias known.

However being obsessed and controlled by food/dieting/exercise is legitimate. This is just another form. If you start restricting and having panic attacks and breakdowns over your food because it doesn't fit into your ideals, you may need help-despite the tone of overly sensational journalism.
              The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Comment

This is definitely a real disorder. I've met people that will completely panic, melt down, having a full on anxiety attack because they are terrified of xyz in their food. It's definitely not healthy to be frightened of food or obsessed with "health".
                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

actually, you're all so right. It's one thing to do the best we can...but people that have ocd tendencies or full out disorders, can be teetering on the precipice of being overly fanatical. I see it often..... also those that tend to be perfectionists can quickly cross the line.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                    This is definitely a real disorder. I've met people that will completely panic, melt down, having a full on anxiety attack because they are terrified of xyz in their food. It's definitely not healthy to be frightened of food or obsessed with "health".
                    +1
                    I've been there during my vegetarian and low fat days. I was almost paranoid about what was in my food. Not fun. Thankfully not anymore, the PB completely takes the fear away from eating for me.

Comment

A lot of the neurosis stems from irrational and unsubstantiated beliefs. I buy all of my vegetables conventionally and there are some pesticide residues in the parts per billion (trillion?) and I don't care, it's not a big deal. Any yet some people will have a breakdown from just the thought of it.

Trans fats, candy bars, wheat, and concentrated sources of soybean oil are another story. That's enough to make me turn the day into an IF. It's not a neurotic thing, it's a "I really don't want to poison myself, thank you" thing.
                      Last edited by Stabby; 06-29-2010, 10:01 AM.
                      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by fufonzo View Post
                        I think I'm getting this. Maybe work will let me take some disability leave.
                        Win.

Comment

We talked about this a lot in the raw vegan days. (daze.)

meh.

I think that a buddhist monk said it best when he said "Well, can you avoid being weird about it?" He was talking about sex, but I think the point transfers.

Healthy eating however you define it is a fine thing. When it starts to become some sort of weird religion (like raw veganism) that's when you have to re-evaluate what you're doing.

One of the things I like about Primal eating is that I can just eat when I feel like it, and don't have to when I don't.

I don't have to force myself to eat every 2-3 hours, I can have some grass fed meats, and some conventional, it's not a compulsion.

Comment

This disorder does exist, in fact our own Molecular Grokologist said that he used to have it (I think he was a vegan at the time but I could be wrong).

I think it's some kind of biochemical imbalance leading to a type of Obsessive/Compulsive disorder...something along those lines.
                            I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Orthorexia is very very different than "healthy eating".

The article was ridiculous. The hallmark of any 'mental' illness is that the expression of it interferes with living life. Most of us here are finding life *more* enjoyable when experienced through a primal (or paleo) framework.

But not all.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                              X