Hungry in the morning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungry in the morning?

Hail, fellow bacon-eaters! I seek your aid!

I've been primal for 3 weeks now, and wake up hungry nearly every morning, even though I feel satiated when I go to sleep. it's frustrating because I go the the gym right after waking, and don't want to hear my stomach complain about how it wants food while I'm working out!
    basic background: I've been eating 20-35g of carbs a day, 50-70% fat, and 1,400-1,500 calories. My journal is in my signature, and it shows the specific foods that I'm eating.

I'm a 20-year old female, 5'6'', started at 130lbs and the scale now says 126, but I assume that's mostly water weight. I still drink a can or two of diet coke a day, but that's my only "cheat". My exercise is 1-3 miles of walking, 30 mins of elliptical 3-5x a week, and a short kettlebell workout 2-3x a week.

I feel great most of the time, but when I wake up, RAWRRRR! I feel like a bear coming out of hibernation! What can I do to tame the beast?
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

This may sound a little obvious...but when I wake up hungry I usually eat something... that seems to help.
    sigpic

Comment

hah. well, yes, that would be the ideal solution, but I go to the gym directly after waking up, and I'd rather not share my stomach contents with the rest of the gym, either, if you know what I mean. and unfortunately, because of my work schedule, I can't really go to the gym at any other time.

Comment

what are your goals? 125-130 is a VERY HEALTHY weight for 5'6 female unless you have very little muscle mass.

Comment

Im new here, too, and this may be the blind leading the blind......but with myself what I have recently discovered is if I flip/flop my cardio ratio to weight training this diet seems to make me less hungry (I think it might be a cortisol thing). I am doing much more HEAVY lifting and less cardio (it was a challenge for me, as I used to run 5 miles every day) - Now I am running one day a week (to prove that I still can) - I'm calling it a "fun day"). When my cardio frequency creeps up, I find myself STARVING. Even the slow stuff.

For the first time in my life I am putting on muscle tone!!!!

Hope this helps.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
            what are your goals? 125-130 is a VERY HEALTHY weight for 5'6 female unless you have very little muscle mass.
            well, I'm at about 23% bodyfat--at least according to various online calculators using tape-measures-- so I'd like to get to 20% or so, but I don't know if that's a reasonable goal--I'm pretty new to this.

Comment

have a spoonfu of coconut oil. that will diminish the hunger pangs and give you great energy for your workout. easy! watch all of that cardio.... instead you should maybe substitute a circuit of lunges, pushups and pullups (assisted). keeps your heart rate up and down...works your whole body including the core.

Comment

At your height/weight, I think aiming for 20% BF by gaining strength and muscle would be good, rather than trying to drive the scale down, and carbs are already quite low. I agree with the above posters, increase strength training (intensity not time) and decrease cardio.

Comment

What I do is either make myself a cup of coffee (I find it is a great appetite suppressant) or grab a handful of nuts before heading out. Something small just to shut the stomach up
                  The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Comment

I think your body gets used to what ever you make a habit of. These days, I'm into daily IFing and I don't eat until the evenings. I'm not used to having breakfast, lunch, or snacks anymore. I do drink the hell out of green tea all day though.
                    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

My breakfast is generally 1 - 1.1k calories.

I know you guys are IF'ing, but I can't even contemplate starting my day on an empty stomach!

To each their own though!

Comment

Originally posted by sibylsybil View Post
                        well, I'm at about 23% bodyfat--at least according to various online calculators using tape-measures-- so I'd like to get to 20% or so, but I don't know if that's a reasonable goal--I'm pretty new to this.
                        i think this is a reasonable goal but would aim for body recomposition not weight loss. ie you want to lose some fat and gain some muscle, for this heavy weightlifting, not cardio, is you friend. if u are hungry before lifting play around with different options eg the coconut oil, or a banana, or maybe sipping on a whey shake during your workout, or a creamy coffee???

Comment

I used to be ravenous in the mornings, too! Breakfast was always something I looked forward to, but I've stopped having it now for the most part, and usually won't eat until the evenings. It may be uncomfortable for the first few days, but after awhile your body *ADAPTS* and you won't feel like you need to eat something upon waking. Habit, habit, habit.

It's really pretty convenient without breakfast in the morning, especially if you like to do an AM workout. I prefer my workouts without food now, provided I got enough sleep the night before... You might find you like it, too. :-)
                          On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

I am a newbie here too, just eating Primal for about one week and I am in ketosis(trace to moderate) and I am waking up at 3 am or so....starving! I know how you feel but I do not ever go workout on a empty stomach. I have to have something. Lately either a smoothie or 2 strips of bacon and 1 egg. Are we suposed to be working out on a empty stomach?

Comment

I think you're *supposed* to do whatever feels right and works for you. Scientifically-speaking... Working out in a fasted state can be beneficial depending on your goals and where you're at in the primal/paleo game (for instance, I wouldn't try a fasted workout too soon... when I worked out vigurously without a snack beforehand when I was still in the adjustment phase, I got massive migraines from, I'm assuming, the dip in blood sugar)... I like working out on an empty stomach now since then I don't have any food bumpin' around in my gut, I just feel lighter and I still have energy. There's nothing more annoying than getting a post-meal cramp during a sprint session, ooor feeling like those eggs are gonna come up. Usually I save any eating until afterward, a little protein and a little starch, depending on what I'm doing and my intensity.
                              On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X