nuts omega 6/3 ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nuts omega 6/3 ratio

I know a lot of nuts have a bad 6/3 ratio, but which ones are the best?

Macademias are the only best.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Even then, our bodies aren't very efficient at converting the short-chain n-3s into long-chain n-3s, the ones we need. Check out this chart for a good graphical analysis of n-3 vs n-6 in foods.
      Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
      The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

Originally posted by Darrin View Post
        Even then, our bodies aren't very efficient at converting the short-chain n-3s into long-chain n-3s, the ones we need. Check out this chart for a good graphical analysis of n-3 vs n-6 in foods.
        Whoa... that bit about the grass fed beef and Omega ratios is interesting. I seem to recall hearing that once. That must be why PB recommends Organic beef over just grass fed.

"Another thing I learned doing this - When it comes to omega-3 content, there's hardly a difference between grass-fed beef and conventional beef. And neither of them provide more than a few milligrams in the raw state, probably negligible amounts after being cooked."

Comment

Originally posted by barryman9000 View Post
          Whoa... that bit about the grass fed beef and Omega ratios is interesting. I seem to recall hearing that once. That must be why PB recommends Organic beef over just grass fed.

"Another thing I learned doing this - When it comes to omega-3 content, there's hardly a difference between grass-fed beef and conventional beef. And neither of them provide more than a few milligrams in the raw state, probably negligible amounts after being cooked."
          First part of that is bullshit, however I do agree with the second part. Beef has so little PUFA's that it's not a significant source of O3. Better save that grass-fed money for some fish oil if that's what you're after.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrin View Post
            So even if a non fish food source has a good omega balance it doesn't really matter? Should we just be trying to eat foods lowest in Omega 6 and not worry about the ratio?

Comment

I don't think ratio is very important. What's more important is eating foods low in PUFA's (regardless of ratio) and filling the blanks with omega 3's from fish oil. Walnuts have a decent ratio, but just look at how much PUFA a single oz has!!

Comment

Maybe it's the other way around.

Omega 6 is an essential fat that we need and cannot produce so we must get it through diet for optimal health. It is a little too easy to get, but we still need it.
                If we are following primal principles avoiding refined oils and adding lots of Omega 3, I don't think ratios need to be monitored.
                Eat more fish. Maybe eat less poultry and pork.

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post

First part of that is bullshit, however I do agree with the second part. Beef has so little PUFA's that it's not a significant source of O3. Better save that grass-fed money for some fish oil if that's what you're after.
                  So you're saying there is a big difference in omega-3 content when comparing grass-fed beef to feed lot beef?

Comment

Working...
                  X