Coconut cream additives, cans, BPA.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut cream additives, cans, BPA.

I drink a lot of coconut cream: about 100mL- 250mL per day, of Blue Dragon's "Coconut Cream UHT". It comes in Tetra Paks. I love it. It is my treat, as I sprinkle vanilla bean powder into it and eat it like a pudding. I can't eat nuts, fruit, or dairy, so it is my only treat, the only thing I eat besides meat, fat, and veggies. I also use it to keep my calories up, since I'm breastfeeding.

I finally just now got around to looking up the dreaded added ingredients: E466 and E471. From the not necessarily best sources, I found that E466 causes cancer in animals and can ferment in the large intestine causing bloating and gas. I have noticed a return of the gas and bloating, so I'm pegging it on the coconut cream. E471 is a synthetic fat said from the same source that it is broken down just like other fats in our diets... well, not all fats are created equal as we all know! A synthetic fat? No thank you. So, I'm sadly facing the fact that I must stop such a copious consumption of this stuff!

The other option is skimming the cream from canned coconut milk. There are many brands which do not have additives. However, is there a coconut product that comes from cans not lined with BPA?!

I guess I will once again try creamed coconut. It is a different kind of coconut cream, though more gritty. Last time I had it, it gave me jitters and gas (too much fibre?!). I'll try it again, though.

Whoa is me. I could also try eating more avocados, though they are imported from far away, since I am in Finland.... sigh. What to do?

Tropical Traditions coconut cream concentrate.

edit: I swear I'm not a shill for their products. They're just so good...
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

Does Thai Kitchen have BPA? I just bought 10 cans.
      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I've yet to see canned anything that says BPA free.

Comment

Yes, Thai Kitchen has BPA in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Molecular Grokologist View Post
            Yes, Thai Kitchen has BPA in it.
            Does it leach into the milk?

Comment

Presumably. It's a fat-soluble compound and the whole can is heat-treated during the sealing process.

Comment

What a bitch.

Comment

Tell me about it. I don't eat very much canned food at all, and my canned fish are BPA free, but my coconut milk and crushed tomatoes are from BPA-lined cans still. I don't suppose anybody has a brand recommendation, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Molecular Grokologist View Post
                    Tell me about it. I don't eat very much canned food at all, and my canned fish are BPA free, but my coconut milk and crushed tomatoes are from BPA-lined cans still. I don't suppose anybody has a brand recommendation, do they?
                    Native Forest Coconut is supposedly BPA free, I just found. Roughly 2$/can on Amazon. Gonna buy this once I finish with all those Thai Kitchen cans.

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Forest-...7757252&sr=8-2

Comment

I bought Native Forest recently after learning it doesn't have BPA but it doesn't say on the can that it is BPA-free.

Comment

Originally posted by maba View Post
                        I bought Native Forest recently after learning it doesn't have BPA but it doesn't say on the can that it is BPA-free.
                        I think it tastes the best too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Alzen View Post
                          I think it tastes the best too.
                          I totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by maba View Post
                            I totally agree.
                            Great to know!

Comment

Any good brands for tomatoes? I know that the acidity is an issue for liners.

Comment

Working...
                              X