Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somebody please tell me why this happens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody please tell me why this happens?

Hello all,

I am fairly new to the primal way of eating, although I have not been eating many grains or carbs for years. I recently removed grains, sugar, flour, processed food (and do not drink alcohol), in my diet and feel great. However, anytime I do actually eat a grain or sugar, I gain weight for 3-5 days. How can that be, and why?

Also, sometimes I feel that dairy and nuts will do the same. It is kind of making my feel crazy. I would like to maintain my lean weight, and not be bouncing all over the place.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!

Sounds like inflammation. Sounds like your body--like mine--does not like those things.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Water retention is probably a part of it too...

there are also things like constipation to consider... if you are holding excess fecal matter that adds weight
      sigpic

Comment

Water retention would be my prime suspect as well.
        Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Comment

If you are eating low carb and then indulge in carbs, you will retain water (sometimes as much as 3-5 lbs on the scale) for a while. It eventually levels out, but there's no way physiologically to avoid such water retention.

Comment

I've found that eating a half a bunch of parsley (in a green drink or salad) gets rid of water retention fast. My rings are loose again by afternoon if I eat it in the morning.
            http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you, that makes sense. Water retention. No, my body does not like it at all. What a bummer, not even able to go of for one small portion of anything! I like the parsley, I will try that.

Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
              X