I think I'm under eating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm under eating

Of course we all know that consuming more fat makes you less hungry. I don't eat a whole lot now. I think for nutrition purposes I need to eat more. Although I live by the rule, "If I'm not hungry I don't eat." Plus daily after dinner I do an intermittent fast until morning. Here's how my day generally works out meal wise.

Morning: On a gym day, I do a protein shake. Non gym day I do either eggs or berries in cream.
    Lunch: On a gym day I'll get home and take another protein shake and generally that holds me over until dinner. On a non gym day I'll normally do a salad, tuna, or a meat.
    Dinner: I eat a protein and vegetables.

Thats about it. Any opinions?
    Insert whitty diet remark here!

Are you keeping track on fitday or something similar?
    You should be tracking your protein, just to make sure you are getting enough to maintain the muscle you have - and hopefully have a surplus so you can benefit from strength training. 1 gram per pound of body weight is a good starting point if you are trying to ad muscle. Sounds like you could use a little more fat in your diet as well.

Comment

I'm not really going to judge so much but just say...

make sure you get enough protein...and I'd recommend trying for more 'real' protein sources than just shakes all the time..

then if you are hungry use fats... ... if you aren't... stop worrying about it
      sigpic

Comment

I only do shakes 3 times a week. Some of the times I am eating eggs. I try to get a good amount of fat in my diet but when I'm normally not that hungry. I'd also find it hard to get 220g of protein daily.

Comment

Quit the shakes and eat more food.... if that's out the question than make the shakes with coconut milk.
          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

220g of protein?... you have 220lbs of lean body mass? what is your height/weight/BF%? (this is really just out of curiosity... )
            sigpic

Comment

Jason, here is a standard day for me. (25y/o, 158-163lbs)

This is how I eat as a daily crossfitter. If you are going to the gym and hoping to gain, it doesn't sound like you are eating enough and your protein is coming from shitty sources on gym days.

Granted, seeing an actual food log would be much better than what you have provided.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatkid View Post
                220g of protein?... you have 220lbs of lean body mass? what is your height/weight/BF%? (this is really just out of curiosity... )
                I thought it was per pound. I'm 220 and 6ft. I'm not too sure of my body fat. I think I'm between 20-25%

I am doing shakes with either almond milk or heavy whipping cream also.

Comment

I think I read somewhere you should eat the amount of protein for the weight you want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by RezH View Post
                    I think I read somewhere you should eat the amount of protein for the weight you want to be.
                    I heard the same thing for calories.
                    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Eat 1g of protein / pound of lean body mass...

so at 220lbs with 20% BF you should eat on average 176g/day at 25%BF 165g/day

and that is assuming you are being active... if you are not you can get by with less
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I'm going to try and give up the shakes and eat more.

Comment

What is the problem here? I take a protein shake in the morning. It's easy and I don't like eating in the morning. Lunch is eggs or something veggies and meat or a salad or a shake too. Or nothing when I'm not hungry. Dinner is veggies and meat. And sometimes, if I'm still hungry I take something like greek yogurt with fruit. I don't eat a lot of fruit otherwise, maybe I should eat more. This seems to be about the same as you and I feel great, I'm losing fat, gaining muscle. There is no problem here, and I don't think you have a problem. Cutting back on the shakes might be good though, but I see no reason to give them up. I don't think I'm getting to little fuel or I would be hungry.

Comment

Working...
                          X