Preserving coconut milk suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving coconut milk suggestions?

I make batches of coconut milk as its cheaper than buy loads of cans. I put it in bottles in the fridge, but after a few days it seems to turn sour (like regular milk!)

any suggestions to preserve it for longer????!

Thanks
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

I freeze mine.........seems to work like a charm

Comment

Lol yer that would be the perfect solution, apart from I dont wanna defrost a bit every morning for my hot chocolate! Using it like you would a bottle a bottle of milk in the fridge door. But it only seems to last a 2-3 days...

Comment

so, put it in pint size mason jars and pull one out the night before you need it

Comment

Freeze as ice cubes in a freezer bag/container and transfer to the fridge as many as you need the night before

Comment

Yer I might have to, but it's a little extra hassel. Would be nice if there was some ingredient you could add to extend the life a little. Just wondered if anyone has a trick like that

Comment

I buy mine in 1/2 gallon cartons from a local health food store, seems to last just fine.

Comment

The only time Ive seen that here is was quite expensive, does it have other ingredients? I imagine they are completely sterile to would last a bit longer anyway

Comment

Not sure actually, to be honest I really only looked at the carb content which was IIRC 1 per 8 ounce serving.

Comment

And I think it was ~$4, which is much cheaper than buying at for $1-$1.30 per can

Comment

not cheaper per gram fat. the carton stuff is very watered down and then thickened with a gum. Only 5 g fat/cup IIRC
                      Adding minerals wherever I can.

Comment

Yer the prices here are different, and some are thicker than others and some have added chemicals etc. I think Im gonna try adding honey of few drops of lemon juice see if the sugar of citric acid helps.

Comment

I don't know about adding lemon juice. Adding lemon juice to regular milk is how you substitute for buttermilk. Might have a similar effect in coconut milk, I don't know.

Comment

I freeze mine in ice cube trays. Just take out what you need to for each day.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

ice, coconut milk, cotage cheese, scoop of vanilla jay robb = ice cream
                              Get on my Level
                              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X