Question About Coconut Milk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Coconut Milk?

I've never used coconut milk before. What is the consistency supposed to be like? I opened a can yesterday and it was a little chunky. It smelled like coconuts so no sour or spoiled smell but wasn't sure if it was supposed to be liquidy like regular milk or really creamy with chunks.

I bet the chunkiness you saw was the cream that floats to the top of the can of coconut milk. I find that shaking the can before opening and then giving it i a quick stir after opening helps.

Comment

It is thick but it can separate a bit (giving you those chunks) so give it a good shake.

Comment

Thank you both. I was worried that it might be bad.

Comment

If you put it in the refrigerator before opening, all the solids will rise to the top and form a delicious creamy substance, however the water will be at the bottom and that's not very pleasant. For this reason I store all my cans at room temperature and shake them well before opening.
          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

@rphlslv, before we started using tropical traditions (we get our coconut oil & cream from them) thats how we got our "cream"!

Comment

Originally posted by Namasteak View Post
              @rphlslv, before we started using tropical traditions (we get our coconut oil & cream from them) thats how we got our "cream"!
              Freaking delicious man!! I wish the whole can was like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Namasteak View Post
                I bet the chunkiness you saw was the cream that floats to the top of the can of coconut milk. I find that shaking the can before opening and then giving it i a quick stir after opening helps.
                I feel like a dumbass... I was always annoyed that the creaminess was at the top and the water was at the bottom. I never thought of shaking it... thanks!!!!!

Haha I can't stop laughing because I feel like such an idiot!
                Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                  I feel like a dumbass... I was always annoyed that the creaminess was at the top and the water was at the bottom. I never thought of shaking it... thanks!!!!!

Haha I can't stop laughing because I feel like such an idiot!
                  if its any consolation, i was doing the same thing until about a month ago. any room in the dunce corner?
                  sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by batty View Post
                    if its any consolation, i was doing the same thing until about a month ago. any room in the dunce corner?
                    Same thing happened to me with my first can but reading this forum resolved it.

Comment

I find here in NZ that the organic coconut cream is an off white colour and quite grainy and the top very very different to the runny water at the bottom and looks like 'pond scum' ha ha! and the non organic is very white and thick but lumpy. Depends whether it has emulsifiers and or thickeners. I tend to buy either organic or the non organic with emulsifier in it but not the thickener. Maybe they are all different?

Comment

By the way I found Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk cans at Fairway on sale for 1.50 each... I bought 8 yesterday and I'm probably going for more tomorrow!

How much do you pay?

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                          By the way I found Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk cans at Fairway on sale for 1.50 each... I bought 8 yesterday and I'm probably going for more tomorrow!

How much do you pay?
                          That's a pretty good deal. Over here it's like 2.79 and it's NEVER on sale.
                          PB Stats:
                          Started 5/10/10
                          Starting Weight: 215
                          Current Weight (1/25/11): 180
                          Goal Weight: 160

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDew View Post
                            That's a pretty good deal. Over here it's like 2.79 and it's NEVER on sale.
                            Shit, I just realized it's cheaper than on Amazon. I'm bulking like 10 more tomorrow.

Comment

Kind of hijacking the thread just a little bit. For how long you find you can keep coconut milk in the refrigerator before it turns bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X