Omega 3 grass fed beef vs store bought omega 6 beef

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega 3 grass fed beef vs store bought omega 6 beef

A stupid question for you- Does an animal grazing wildly in nature develop more omega 3 in their muscle than farm raised domestic animals? Is that why I see some beef and some eggs as being high in omega 3's?
    If that be true, than one would assume all wild game would be high in omega 3's, no?

Well grass-fed beef is a domestic animal. But good question, I've always wondered about the omega 3's in wild meat. I think it's a good balance as long as the animal has been eating the food they're supposed to. You wouldn't want to eat a "wild" pigeon from NYC...
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Hmm wild pigeon...yeah, I am sure it is an aquired taste, LOL!
      So this would go alot further then just humans eating what they are supposed to and go all the way down to our food eating what they are supposed to. Damn, I can afford grass fed beef!

Comment

I love wild pigeon - best braised with a pigs trotter (foot) for the gelatin - and the pigeon carcasses make the best ever stock.

Comment

Originally posted by robmedina View Post
          Hmm wild pigeon...yeah, I am sure it is an aquired taste, LOL!
          So this would go alot further then just humans eating what they are supposed to and go all the way down to our food eating what they are supposed to. Damn, I can afford grass fed beef!
          Don't stress it. I can't afford grass-fed/pastured either. Besides, beef is the meat lowest in PUFA's. Even though the omega ratio is way off, it's easily fixed by eating fish or taking fish oil.

Comment

grass fed tastes so much better. i wish i could afford to eat it every single time, instead its more like 50/50. try looking for cheaper cuts of grass fed. at whole foods ive been buying grass fed ground beef for 5.99-6.99 and sirloin tip instead of sirloin for 6.99.

Comment

There is hardly any omega 3 in beef. In 3 ounces there is .002 g even though grass fed beef is said to have "Up too 10 times more omega 3!!!" 10x .002 = .02g or still nothing. Also, what people forget is that there is double the amount of omega 6 in grass fed beef.
              Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Originally posted by AntonG View Post
                grass fed tastes so much better. i wish i could afford to eat it every single time, instead its more like 50/50. try looking for cheaper cuts of grass fed. at whole foods ive been buying grass fed ground beef for 5.99-6.99 and sirloin tip instead of sirloin for 6.99.
                I actually think grain fed beef tastes A LOT better than grassfed. Is is much much juicier and more flavorful in my opinion. That goes for steaks and ground beef.

Therefore I don't break the bank on grassfed, and buy "natural" grainfed (without hormones/antibiotics). Cheap and tastes great.

Comment

Originally posted by FDgreen View Post
                  I actually think grain fed beef tastes A LOT better than grassfed. Is is much much juicier and more flavorful in my opinion. That goes for steaks and ground beef.

Therefore I don't break the bank on grassfed, and buy "natural" grainfed (without hormones/antibiotics). Cheap and tastes great.
                  I agree with everything you said.

Comment

This is the trouble I find with almost all omega 3 discussions is the underlining message that its near on impossible to get sufficient omega 3 from diet alone. Guess supplements are vital then.
                    One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

Originally posted by FDgreen View Post

I also agree with this, but. I was reading some cattle rancher forums and even the grain fed supporters agree the best tasting meat is grass fed done right (Uruguay and Argentina were mentioned). I would like to find that kind of grass fed at a reasonable price. The quote that stuck with me went like this: "The best tasting beef I have ever had was grass fed. The ten worst tasting beefs I have ever had were also grass fed." Well, so far I've only sampled from the worst tasting category. I think Batty split some grass fed and it was returned to her by someone who didn't like the taste either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                        This is the trouble I find with almost all omega 3 discussions is the underlining message that its near on impossible to get sufficient omega 3 from diet alone. Guess supplements are vital then.
                        Look at a map of the world and notice the population centers on the coasts everywhere. We just don't eat as much fish as we used to. I think a consistent constant in cultures with longevity is seafood. I got 6 grams of O3 in a pound of fish for dinner last night. I'm forcing myself to eat about 20 grams a week from seafood, and I supplement that same amount.

Comment

I just bought a quarter cow, some of the steaks are huge!! I split it up with my family, it was a very good price for all the meat we got. Black angus grass fed. I went and order a 5 cu freezer to keep it in.

Comment

Beef of any kind has pretty low omega 6 regardless of feed, so I don't see it being an issue. Also a couple of fish oil pills and you're back in business.

Grass-fed will have a lot more CLA, more vitamin e and carotenoids and more glutathione. http://www.nutritionj.com/content/9/1/10 . I'm not sure about carnitine, it's pretty darn high in any beef regardless of feeding and I don't know if it is altered by grass-feeding.

On the other hand grain-fed has more beloved saturated fat. I tend to buy grass-fed beef and extra grass-fed beef fat to render into tallow for this reason.

Either way I think that beef rocks.
                            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I buy lean cuts of grain-fed beef and supplement that with grass-fed suet, which is cheap.

I see no point in buying grass-fed lean beef! And usually those are the most expensive cuts..

Comment

Working...
                              X