No announcement yet.

What to tell the Non-believers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a roommate that scoffs at my choice to eat primally and gives me weird looks and my son and I go outside to run around barefoot. He says he is a 'big picture' person and the reasons he can't accept the primal lifestyle and eating primally in general is because it isn't something the entire population could do because it would end up wasting the planet, since we would consume more natural resources then the eart has to offer with our current population numbers. He hasn't read PB and he won't because he doesn't read anything but comic books. He looks on PB as a cult in fact and says it's too much like organized religion and people following it are self righteous, etc... I just smile and nod when he starts up because he doesn't really understand that the entire lifestyle and not just the eating plan need to be taken into consideration. IF put in the picture and the fact that when you're eating the way your body desires and needs, and working your body, mind etc as is suggested, you actually consume less then on a conventional modern diet. Personally, if someone asks, I'll share, but most of the time I look at it as my decision vs. theirs.

V~
    What's for dinner? Dead cow!

Comment

He does have a point about PB as a cult. I've seen a great many posts on here that border on religious zealotry.

I've handed out a couple copies of the PB to people who were interested, but these days I mostly keep my mouth shut.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
        He does have a point about PB as a cult. I've seen a great many posts on here that border on religious zealotry.

I've handed out a couple copies of the PB to people who were interested, but these days I mostly keep my mouth shut.
        Yeah, I tend to not direct people to this site much for information, because I worry they would stumble across one of the MANY comments that begin with the phrase "Well, Mark says..." at which point my credibility is dramatically reduced. There does seem to be a bit of obsession with being a perfect primal rather than living intuitively, which to me is the whole point. I really dislike the constant phrases like "is [insert food] allowed?". This appears to have turned into a rant.....sorry!
        For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by supersellen View Post
          I really dislike the constant phrases like "is [insert food] allowed?".
          Me too. It's not so hard to learn the basics and apply the general rules and figure things out for yourself. But as with anything, there will always be sheep who just want to be told what to do and refuse to think for themselves.
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Yeah, I tend to not direct people to this site much for information, because I worry they would stumble across one of the MANY comments that begin with the phrase "Well, Mark says..." at which point my credibility is dramatically reduced.
            I send folks to the MDA blog (specifically the PB 101 stuff)--not the forums. If they get so into it that they actually check the forums I figure they'll have read/learned enough to be able to wade through the various opinions in the forums...

Although I think "Mark says" posts (w/ links to blogposts or quotes etc) can be helpful, esp when folks are saying "You must keep your [insert macronutrient here] below/above X grams a day or you'll die/become obese/explode", etc. Mark's opinion tends to be less all or nothing/more moderate, which I think can be helpful for some, esp. newbies who might take a forum poster's opinion as being the only way...
            My Before/After Pics
            Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

The cult issue is funny to me... handing out copies of the book. I can't stand it when certain groups show up at my door to hand me their books. "Thanks, I'm on my way to my church... not yours. I sometimes claim to be a mormon... They will try to convert a satinist... but mormons for some reason are beyond them...LOL!

You know... Is anyone sick to death of defending the way they eat? And why the hell is it ok to raz a person about how they eat. Short of the fact, you're their mother, and you can see their vains pulsing with hypertension...

Why don't I eat bread... I don't want any. Why should I force feed myself? Why don't you eat shit? I mean, if there is an amazing bread hanging out... then yeah, I might have a pc. I happen to live down the street from one of the most amazing bakeries in the US. I mean, If I'm going to eat bread, I'm not buying it at Safeway. I'll get it from the guy down the street who is at least using WHOLE ingredients. And even then, I'm not gonna do that very often.

Why do these other rediculous diets work? Starving works! DUH! Every seen a person not eat? What happens? Their body breaks down, they consume themselves until nothing is left. Ta Da! It's not magic. Just a fact. But you see, I'm trying to be H-E-A-L-T-H-Y! I don't want cancer blah, blah, blah! I'm not looking for ways to keep eating CRAP! I'm ditching the crap. Can you please show me the nutrtional value of your points????

Does that mean I never have a sweet treat every now and then... nope. But thanks, I'll decide when that is.

You know, I'm pretty disgusted right now. I'm sitting in a body that is overweight. It's not me... yet it is. I've made some mistakes. Some based on misguided information. Not for failure of trying to get it right. But just not knowing. But you know what? When I was thin and extraordinarily healthy... People were mean to me! All the average to fat girls where CRUEL. I was made fun of... called names. I grew to hate anyone over the size of 2!

I've come to realize we live in a fat world... and they make themselves feel better all the time. They emotionally eat, and the emotionally beat up the people they see doing well... Sick of it... I'm happy to share my knowledge. My failures, my success. Just ask. But in the mean time... But the F out!

I can not wait to get my body back... I'm on my way... and you know... I AM likely to say... "And how is that working for you?" When someone has comment about what I'm doing is wrong and what they are doing is right...

HOW IS THAT WORKING FOR YOU??? Nevermind the world depicted on TV! There is a reason the spokes people for weight watchers and the biggest loser Changes... they can't keep it up...

You might be interested in this article re Biggest Loser... share it with your nay sayers...It's AWFUL and totally inhumane.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010...t-part-1-of-3/

Comment

You...should... stop letting Shatner... edit your posts...

Comment

About the real food/fake food thing. I have to say that it didn't take long after reading the PB for me to absord it all subconciously. Now, if someone offers me a cookie, I tell them I am not interested, and I'm not. Understanding what I'm putting into my body has killed 99% of cravings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                    You...should... stop letting Shatner... edit your posts...
                    NO WAY! He is my favorite! Skip 'em. Easy as that!
                    Last edited by twinmama; 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM. Reason: But if he doesn't start correcting the spelling, I might boot him for Mr. Spock.

Comment

I'll never understand why so many people here feel compelled to prosthelytize their beliefs. I never, ever speak of primal in any way, unless asked. If someone has questions, I'll answer them. I don't use a question as an opening to "convert" them to primal. Do you want someone to try to convert you to their religion? I don't care how good it is for us, blah, blah, blah. All these same excuses could be used to try to convert people to their religion and I'm pretty sure no one here likes that. If is not your job to save people from them selves. They have to come to it or their own accord.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebike View Post
                        I'll never understand why so many people here feel compelled to prosthelytize their beliefs. I never, ever speak of primal in any way, unless asked. If someone has questions, I'll answer them. I don't use a question as an opening to "convert" them to primal. Do you want someone to try to convert you to their religion? I don't care how good it is for us, blah, blah, blah. All these same excuses could be used to try to convert people to their religion and I'm pretty sure no one here likes that. If is not your job to save people from them selves. They have to come to it or their own accord.
                        Actually, I think this is really an excellent point. I suspect the OP is talking most of being attacked for their choice, and then having to answer questions. In much the same way you see people, here as well, attack religious beliefs, often with the same degrading hostility that many get their diet choices eye rolled at. However, same as my religion, if you want to know, ASK. Otherwise, I'm not looking to shove it down your throat either. Just don't bug me about my choices. It's RUDE!

Comment

My family thinks Im the "nutrition nazi" now. I now just keep doing my thing & keep my mouth shut. When they want to feel good, they will. Bottom line is give as little info as possible, most people cant even consider this as a way of life. When asked how you got this way, say "i did it by eliminating grains & sugars" That usually answers the question & shuts them down. Nobody wants to here it. I say teach the trainers, & let them spread the word. Thats the only reason im on it.
                          "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
                            I tell the non-believers that a vegetarian/whole grain diet is the way to go. I dont need them jacking up meat prices.
                            ROFL! You're bad....
                            I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebike View Post
                              I personally like to avoid confrontation and argument, so I avoid the topic of my consumption most of the time, but I can understand why people do it. It is kind of like when you find some random awesome restaurant with great food, so you tell everyone that they have to try it, because it is so tasty. Same thing really, a lot of people feel like they have found something great in the primal lifestyle, so they are jazzed up about sharing it with other people. That being said, my dad is a bit of a wacko evangelist, so I totally agree with condescending approach with the "my way is the best or ONLY way" attitude being completely obnoxious.
                              For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

I personally like to avoid confrontation and argument, so I avoid the topic of my consumption most of the time
                                I get really nervous when folks (some who I know are looking to argue--like my veg uncle who recently asked 'why are you eating all this crap?' in reference to the plate of meat I was assembling) ask me about my diet. I just don't feel articulate enough on the spot to represent the awesomeness of primal/paleo eating. I'll typically say "I eat a lot of high quality meat and vegetables" and leave it at that if asked (although most folks typically press me for more info). I'll share a few links (the PB 101 section is one I give) to folks who are *really* interested in how/what I eat (as they see me scarf down 3 burgers and a BAS at a BBQ), but otherwise I keep my mouth shut.

The changes in my weight and just overall health are clear (esp if you've known me for a while), and if folks want to know what I'm doing, they'll ask (some do). I don't waste my breath otherwise. I don't know a/b others, but I've never needed to bring it up to others--it has come up naturally w/ their inquiries. (I've also lost over 65ish pounds over the past couple of years moving to a traditional foods, gluten/dairy/etc-free, meat and good fat heavy, and now primal diet, so folks who've known me forever as a chubby vegetarian girl are interested in what changes I've made...)

Over time, my sister, dad and mom have all gotten mostly on the primal bandwagon (my mom believes in it, just doesn't really follow it) without me sharing too much unless really asked... I'm not looking to convert (although I wish the best of health for my family and friends), but I think these discussions arise naturally w/ people you are close to.
                                My Before/After Pics
                                Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Working...
                                X