Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking water during meals dilute digestive jucies.....True or a Myth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking water during meals dilute digestive jucies.....True or a Myth?

So, this is one of the things I been hearing. Is it true? Does drinking water (or any beverage) during or after a meal dilute digestive juices, thus causing the body not to digest the food properly? According to advocates, one should wait 2-4 hours after a meal before consuming liquids (depending on the meal) or one may consume water 20-30mins before a meal.............

True or just a internet myth?

I don't know tbh but I have heard that drinking with your meal isn't a good idea and I don't do it myself. Then again I have heard drinking a bit is good.

It's not gonna hurt not to have a drink, or only to have a small amount with meals.

I guess going nuts and drinking a litre of water isn't helpful
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

I've heard that around the board. A Vietnamese friend of mine never used to drink much while eating - I asked why once and she said (which she learned from her parents) that it wasn't good for your digestion.

Comment

Its a good question i don't know the proper answer to either. Maybe ask this guy here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...hemist./page30
        One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

Comment

I've always needed to drink something while I eat. For years, nigh decades, that was massive quantities of milk. These days, however, I just drink water, but I just can't eat without it.
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I think the drink a glass of water at the start of the meal (as an appetite suppressant) is another CW practice that is misguided. As someone that used to have some digestive problems, which seemed to include low stomach acid, I find that there is a dilutive effect. I tend to stop have a window of half an hour before and after meals of no drinking. Of course you want to stay well hydrated, so at non-meal times you should have sufficient water.

Interestingly, I've met a ton of people who said their grandma or grandpa would practice the no water at meals.

Comment

I can see the logic behind not drinking while eating but at the same point then shouldn't we all cut out soups and the like... and what about cucumbers they have a high fluid content...

for me personally I avoid drinking a 'glass' while eating but usually have my water bottle handy in case I feel the need to 'wash something down'...but I usually stick to just a couple of sips during the meal at most.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I don't know, it might be true, it sorta makes sense, but it's one of those things I don't believe I have ever seen any actual evidence on. Just opinions.

Comment

I'm going to go with true... which is why i drink wine with my meals

Comment

Originally posted by Suse View Post
                    I'm going to go with true... which is why i drink wine with my meals
                    +1 Suse. Me too! I have heard that wine actually aids digestion - although I may have been listening for the parts I wanted to hear, since I tend to enjoy wine with meals.

Comment

It only really applies to cooked foods which need strong digestive juices to breakdown. If your eating a big steak and some broccoli, I wouldn't be drinking water with that meal because your digestion will suffer. If you are eating some watermelon which is already very water rich and easy to digest, having water with it will hardly affect your digestion.

If you notice you are thirsty after or during your meal, you weren't hydrated enough at the start of your meal. I myself usually drink some water 15 minutes or so before a meal and don't feel the need to drink water for several hours after.

Comment

Dinner just ain't dinner without a glass of wine!

In theory, drinking a lot of water with a meal should dilute the digestive juices, thus leading to poor digestion. But a lot of intuitive things (insert your favorite piece of CW here) have turned out to be dead wrong. I would love to learn more about this, but it doesn't seem like there's been a lot of scientific studies on this topic.
                        Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
                        The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Comment

Its kind of tricky to give up water if your eating spicy foods.
                          My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Well, food is meant to sit in your stomach until the cell walls or membranes are all broken down (ie, liquid mush). The thing that causes the valve at the bottom of your stomach to open is liquid. I'm not sure if it follows that water will make that valve pass food before it's ready or not.

Comment

Wine answer works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X