Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody get really gagged out from the smell/taste of coconut oil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody get really gagged out from the smell/taste of coconut oil?

I am finding this to be increasingly annoying. It's the smell I think, I find that If I melt it down and drink it followed by cold seltzer I can get it down, but I really just don't enjoy the taste of it lately.... getting tired of smelling it too..... weird I know, but how do you all get around this if coconut is just not your thing.....

Princess, you drink it? Well, I do like the taste, but I don't think I would enjoy drinking it either. I didn't realize people did that. I am enjoying a little bit in my coffee, and I'm using it to sautee things -- shrimp, vegetables, etc. I also made some delicious "truffles" using 1/2 coc. oil and 1/2 cocoa and a little bit of almond butter (stir well and put in fridge until solid) - wow, those were good (can't remember where I saw the recipes but prob. on here).

Could you try to incorporate into your foods so you don't taste it so much?
    My journal

Comment

I know what you mean; the thought of eating it plain doesn't appeal to me at all, thanks mostly to the smell (and I love coconut)!

I use coconut oil to cook with, and I do like its flavor in foods. Sweet potato roasted in coconut oil and red pepper flakes = heaven. I also use coconut oil for stir fries, curries, etc.
      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Lol That reminds me of the Agent Smith line from the Matrix "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

I really like the smell of coconut oil. I really only use it to cook with, but if I didn't like the smell of it I'd move to EVOO I think.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
          I know what you mean; the thought of eating it plain doesn't appeal to me at all, thanks mostly to the smell (and I love coconut)!

I use coconut oil to cook with, and I do like its flavor in foods. Sweet potato roasted in coconut oil and red pepper flakes = heaven. I also use coconut oil for stir fries, curries, etc.
          Exactly. I Like coconut too! I can handle it in baked goods, but to supplement with it, I really gotta work hard to get it down.... It makes me feel so much more full though than anything else, and I am really wanting to chip away at my belly pooch so I don't want to stop using it for That reason....somehow heating it to full oil takes some of the taste away for me.....

Comment

I love the taste and smell of coconut. Having said that, if you hate it you can try using processed oil instead. Look for brands that process coconut oil just by cooking it at low temperatures, getting rid of the flavor and odor.
            MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessGrok View Post
              Exactly. I Like coconut too! I can handle it in baked goods, but to supplement with it, I really gotta work hard to get it down.... It makes me feel so much more full though than anything else, and I am really wanting to chip away at my belly pooch so I don't want to stop using it for That reason....somehow heating it to full oil takes some of the taste away for me.....
              I can't imagine any good reason to keep supplementing with it then. What about coconut milk or avocado if you need extra fat?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

When I heard people drank a spoonful for the benefits I tried it and totally gagged. Glad I'm not alone....was checking for weeks to see if mine was racid or something.

Comment

I add it to food I'm cooking.
                  Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

oh really. I don't want more than a teaspoon at a time anyway (too much and the guts complain) so I mix a teaspoon with a teaspoon of almond butter - yum! Sometimes with some shredded coconut and cocoa powder. But drinking warm coconut oil? Blech. Why turn a great food into medicine? Only eat it in contexts that are enjoyable, then the smell will be pleasing. You're practicing aversion therapy on yourself!

Comment

The coconut oil I use barely has a smell or taste...

Comment

Originally posted by Robeil View Post
                        The coconut oil I use barely has a smell or taste...
                        Ha! Thanks, I will look for that the next time I need to purchase some. It's only the cold pasty part of the oil that I find offensive, I have said before that I don't mind baking with it, and I have stir fried with it too. It's a convenient way to boost fat though, and the quick and dirty by the spoonful way is the quickest way to do it.....

Comment

The texture of it slithering down your throat is so gagarific. *shudder* I can't supplement with it like that for that reason! I wonder what it's like frozen..
                          The more I see the less I know for sure.
                          -John Lennon

Comment

I have no trouble taking coconut oil by the teaspoon. I've loved the taste of coconut for as long as I can remember. I just don't like cooking with it. I'm guessing it's a recipe thing. I've never cooked Indian food or curries or much Asian food. I'd like to appreciate it for cooking but so far no luck.

Comment

For me, coconut water, coconut oil, coconut milk, and if I can forgive myself for the sugar, coconut cream are candy. Dry coconut too. Even the white part of a not-dried coconut that many people think is too slimy. I can't think of a way not to enjoy coconut, except having one fall on me if I was foolish enough to have a badly placed hammock on the beach.

I have empathy for you who suffer, but I do enjoy it myself.
                              Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Working...
                              X