No announcement yet.

Do people gain weight eating this way?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people gain weight eating this way?

Hi there everyone,
    so I'm up 2 lbs and I'm wondering about gaining muscle and if that's what is going on. I feel stronger but I also have the same fat present. I feel dense. I'm also trying to drop 10 lbs to get back to m weight which I was at 10 months ago. Is it possible to gain muscle weight first and then loose the fat and still go down in over-all weight?
    hmmmmm..
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Sure is. Don't rely on the scale. Get a tape measure and check your body measurements.
    Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Comment

My weight has stayed basically the same since going strictly primal about 8 weeks ago. If you believe the scale, bodyfat has come down about 2%, and the pants are fittling a bit looser (but not dramatic). Since I am petite and female (and over 40), I will note that I think it is entirely too possible to gain weight or overeat being primal. One, is that the amount of protein per day (at 0.7 to 1.0 gram per lb. lean mass) is really not that much. Two is that my satiety meter is a bit off, and I cannot eat until full as I would continue to eat until uncomfortable and then realize that I overate, and three, many primal foods, like nuts, are just very calorically dense.

I feel more energetic and feel this way of eating is good for my blood sugars and plan to stick with it, but I am not expecting any great shifts on the scale, certainly not over short periods of time.

Comment

I went up about 10 lbs before dropping 8 from where I started. My focus has been / is adding muscle though.

Comment

YOu can certainly gain weight (fat) while being primal. And you won't gain muscle unless you are lifting weights.
          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

On gaining weight, 3 words:
            NUTS NUTS NUTS

They are delicious, and good for you, but holy cow is it easy to go overboard. Commit to no nuts for 1 week and I bet you drop a couple of lbs....

Comment

Aw that sux I was really looking forward to making Marks Nut Butter Bars but I want to lose also.

Comment

Once you know if it is or is not contributory, then you can decide if it's in the once or twice a week category, or if it is in the very rare category.

Comment

I am still on the fence with that with things like nuts, dairy, and red wine.

Comment

Originally posted by AnneArchy View Post
                    I am still on the fence with that with things like nuts, dairy, and red wine.
                    I really do have to watch overall cals as well as dairy consumption and rw consumption.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I've been slightly yo-yo-ing between 158 and 162lbs over the past two weeks. When I started in January it was a steady slow loss from 195+ to about 175, then a looooong stall that took about three weeks to break, then steadily down to 158 where I'm sort of stuck now. For a guy who's 5'7" I could go a little lower but probably not much. Think I'll cut out dairy once I eat all this damned cheese and yogurt, and cut back on the red wine, because I'm still "fat" with a belly and he-boobies though much less so now. The muscle seems to be leaving me along with the fat, but I don't exercise much so I guess that's my own fault.

So I guess the answer is "yes, you can gain some weight on this thing." It's hard for me to eat enough calories now so I don't think I'm over-eating for my size and age (48), so it's probably more a matter of what I'm eating than how much.

Comment

Well, it would be pretty damn near impossible for this to happen on a ketogenic diet (assuming you don't sit on the couch and watch people's court all day), but certainly on just a regular low-carb diet. I eat just under 5 carbs a day, and happily lose on my 2,400 calories a day (still hungry, will have to up my calories). I like IF for weight loss also. I am trying to get all my calories in an eight hour window, and then I fast for 16 hours. You should try going VLC and intermittent fasting.
                        Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

In truth I have been eating a lot of full fat kefir and almonds. I was trying to get my fat intake up and my protein has been too high as well. It's so easy to go over! I've been trying to eat lots of coconut but boy do i feel limited. I'll cut out the dairy and nuts for a week and see what happens. I try to stick to 1500 cals (I'm 5'6 133lbs trying to get back to my 122 I was 1 year ago) but I end up hungry at night and can't sleep. I'm a bit concerned about keeping the protein down. How do you do that and keep the fat high? Mainline avocado and coconuts? i figure I should get about 70 grams and today I got 96g. and only 74 g fat. Tricky....
                          In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus

Comment

Originally posted by hermanda View Post
                            I'm a bit concerned about keeping the protein down. How do you do that and keep the fat high? Mainline avocado and coconuts? i figure I should get about 70 grams and today I got 96g. and only 74 g fat. Tricky....
                            Nope on the avocado -- half an avo has 7-10g carbs, depending on size. You don't have the protein problem that you get with nuts, though. Coconut milk is a good choice.

Bacon and bacon grease, olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, butter and fatty cuts of meat/ground beef are good foods to keep fat up and protein moderate.

I eat unweighed-unmeasured paleo and easily get about 200g fat and 120g protein (and 65 g carbs) daily. (Yeah, that sounds like a huge amount for a 5'3", 115 lb female, but I'm very active and work out hard and heavy). So, raising fat w/o going porportionally overboard on protein is possible. It helps to track macros FOR A WHILE, NOT FOREVER just to get a feel for what different foods contribute.
                            Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Working...
                            X