Good, inexpensive bacon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, inexpensive bacon?

I don't eat bacon often, since I take most of my meals to work with me (and bacon is definitely not to-go friendly) so when I do cook it, it's "special." I want good bacon that tastes great and doesn't cost a fortune. My budget doesn't extend to Whole Foods or mail-order bacon. However, since I've been eating primal, I'm very aware of a "chemical" taste in bacon I previously enjoyed. Anybody have some suggestions on brands I might try that taste good, is budget-friendly, and is easily accessible at Costco, supermarket, Wal-Mart, etc? Or, if not specific brands, at least some things to pay attention to on the label? I just cooked up a big ol' passel of bacon that I used to enjoy, and... meh.

I know that Kroger carries a natural bacon that has no nitrates/nitrites, if you worried bout that. Currently I'm enjoying a brand called Wrights, its fairly thick sliced and IMO tastes really good.

Comment

I have trouble finding the 'thick' less expensive but still nitrate/nitrite free bacon around here. For the regular/thin stuff there is Coleman, and I even think Hormel makes a more natural option (not great, but improved). Price wise most of then seem to run between 4-6 dollars for 12 ounces....which is actually not much different then the whole foods meat dept bacon which I believe runs 7 dollars for 16 ounces if my memory serves me correctly.

http://www.colemannatural.com/compon...oller,article/
      http://www.hormelnatural.com/product...ies/bacon.aspx
      Erin
      Daily Vlogs
      Primal Pets Blog

Comment

The best thing for cheap 'bacon' is to buy pork belly or shoulder and slow cook it. OK it's not really bacon but I just got back from Whole Foods with 4 pounds of pork shoulder for $3/pound (on sale). The regular price of $4/pound is still about half the price of bacon which is $7+ per pound.

Comment

Well, there is a nitrates-free bacon offering that costco sells that is normally pretty decent, but the last pack I bought tasted real suspect - so I'm off those.

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal

Comment

if you have a trader joes, their applewood smoked uncured bacon is pretty awesome and fairly affordable.

Comment

Wrights is very good, and that's who I usually buy. They have sugar in their cure, but my city is shit and doesn't sell bacon without sugar / nitrites

Comment

Originally posted by moonablaze View Post
                if you have a trader joes, their applewood smoked uncured bacon is pretty awesome and fairly affordable.
                +1

Around $3.99 a package, and very good..... I find that I have to have a smoked bacon. alot of the nitrate free bacons are uncured and not smoked and I just don't like it as well.... We are getting our first tomatoes here out of our garden, and I really enjoyed it with crispy bacon wrapped in a crispy fresh romain lettuce leaf. YUMMYx 10

Comment

Working...
                X