Most nutritious lettuces for salad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most nutritious lettuces for salad?

I've been enjoying the benefits of a BAS for lunch, and was wondering what some of the most nutritious types of lettuce are. Today's salad had a base of Boston lettuce, butter lettuce, napa cabbage, and red cabbage. Which of those are good to make regular salad bases, and which should I add to improve the nutrition of the salad?

I'm interested in this too...my base is always green leaf, red leaf, spinach, arugula. I've never done the cabbage, I'll have to try it.
    Went Primal: 3/28/2010 - 43 lbs lost!
    Over 15 inches gone!

Primal Journal ~ Jadeocean

Comment

I personally usually enjoy a spring mix. These usually have a variety of 10 different greens. This is the best way to get as much nutrition as possible from a salad.
      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

baby spinach is my go-to, it's nice and chewy and nutritious. Lamb's lettuce (mache?) is great when you can get it.
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

i love red leaf, it has a meaty bite to it
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Lettuce is nutritionally poor, I generally go for cabbage with big dark green leaves which can also be used as wraps. Spinach is obviously awesome
            www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

I love those big containers of spring mix that you can get at various stores, including Costco, that have about 5 varieties of dark lettuce in them. There's a whole section in Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma about how those are grown and packaged. Not very energy efficient, but they ARE grown organically.

Comment

That would be potatos.

You need to restore glycogen after your Crossfit paleo pose downs.

I recommend building yourself a palace out of potatoes and eating your way out. If you eat your palace with butter, and some steak the GI index will give you a dollar.

Comment

Darth is in a mood I see....

I think anything that isn't iceberg is good. I go by color, the darker the color the better. At the farmers market I pick up a blend that has mustard greens in it that is soooo good on its own.
                  SW: 235
                  CW:220
                  Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                  Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                  Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                  Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                    I personally usually enjoy a spring mix. These usually have a variety of 10 different greens. This is the best way to get as much nutrition as possible from a salad.
                    I agree...the "Spring Mix" is probably your best bet. It contains a great variety of light and dark green leaves, with some purple and reds tossed in as well. You could add in some baby spinach leaves...which are great nutritionally as well...but some brands already have these mixed in.

Also, as another responder to this post mentioned, you can get large containers of these almost anywhere these days at a good value.
                    Last edited by Phil-SC; 06-20-2010, 08:02 AM.

Comment

My favorite go-to base for salads is to get a bag of baby spinach, a bag of spring greens and some shredded carrots all washed & mixed together in the fridge so I can just grab a handful and top it with whatever.
                      ~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

Comment

I plant different "Asian stir fry," "mesclun," and "chef's blend" greens mixes and eat those while in season. If I'm going to buy greens, I usually go for bags of baby spinach and the occasional spring mix.
                        Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

for maximum nutritional bang for your calories ingested, always go 'dark and bright'.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

If you must do salad, I'd agree with spring mix: good stuff (tastes very green). Personally, I've switched from salad to sauteed onions. My gut is much happier.
                            Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                              for maximum nutritional bang for your calories ingested, always go 'dark and bright'.
                              Exactly. Spring Mix has a good amount of these. I enjoy spring mix for salads and spinach for my green smoothies since it is incredibly mild yet so nutritious!

Originally posted by tangentrider View Post
                              If you must do salad, I'd agree with spring mix: good stuff (tastes very green). Personally, I've switched from salad to sauteed onions. My gut is much happier.
                              So, wait... instead of eating a salad you eat sauteed onions?
                              Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X