It was the SODIUM!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was the SODIUM!!!

so for the past couple months I've been having random stomach pains and bathroom issues. Every few days I would just empty out my system. It wasn't very fun. I couldn't understand it because I am a strict Paleo eater. One theory was that I was eating too much protein. Probably twice as much as i should. So I cut that down to normal amounts and it helped a little but not totally. Then, out of the clear blue sky, I stumbled across an article discussing salt and sodium. The article mentioned how sodium helps produce stomach acid that digests protein. I thought to my self, hmmm that sounds interesting. So I went to NutritionData.com and plugged in a days worth of food and found out my sodium was at 33% of daily value! So i immediately started putting salt on everything I ate and like magic, no more stomach pains. The point of this post was to just let everyone know that might be suffering from the same thing that it might be the low sodium from a Paleo Diet!!

also, I have the Paleo Diet book by Dr. Cordain and he lists a days worth of meal that has about the same amount of sodium I was getting but didn't mention that low sodium levels could lead to some nasty side effects. strange.

Interesting info.

I know cordain would not recommend salt because of the sodium : potassium ratio of the modern diet (According to him, our goal is to up potassium and lower sodium). However, I believe that if you manage to get your sodium low by eating no processed foods and other heavily salted foods, a pinch of salt here and there is fine by me.
    Last edited by JeanPatrick; 06-17-2010, 05:20 PM.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

Comment

Well congrats on your discovery! It's always cool when you find something that works - puts you at a higher level of responsibility for your own health. I'd compare it to learning to work on your car; you suddenly notice every sound and get real curious when something doesn't sound right.

Comment

I have been thinking I should probably cut down a bit but when 90% of what I eat is vegetables, fats and meat it's kind of hard. I doubt I'm taking in THAT much but more than the body needs to utilize is clearly having at least some negative effect on me.

Damn you himalayan crystal salt!
        Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I would recommend sea salt = unrefined salt. I use it on everything and it's got the right balance of minerals, etc, so it doesn't cause bloat, etc.
          As with most things, unrefined is better.
          Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
          http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
          Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Comment

Another thing. Its not like we need to get extra salt. Its just that our system is conditioned to discard sodium regularly. So if you reduce the salt at once it will cause a problem. I would think that if it is reduced very slowly then there should not be a problem. But how to do that. I have no idea ;-). Also have an alternative source of Iodine if you do that.

Comment

It is not cutting sodium that I find a problem (in fact, I have upped my sodium for exactly the same reason as the OP) but how to get enough potassium? I seem to manage if I eat loads of sweet potato - but that increases the carbs massively.

Comment

Interesting question on the Weston Price site:

Q. Do we need salt in our diet, so many say we do not?
                A. Mary and I discuss the subject of salt in our book Nourishing Traditions. Salt is essential to life, that is why we have salt taste buds. Without salt, we die. We need salt for protein digestion, carbohydrate digestion, adrenal function, cellular metabolism and brain development. Unrefined salt provides us with many trace minerals.

http://www.westonaprice.org/faq/793-...questions.html

I have the book Nourishing Traditions so I'll go and look it up. I do remember them saying that WP found many traditional cultures did add salt to their diet.
                My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                  It is not cutting sodium that I find a problem (in fact, I have upped my sodium for exactly the same reason as the OP) but how to get enough potassium? I seem to manage if I eat loads of sweet potato - but that increases the carbs massively.
                  Try bananas - potassium is huge there!

Comment

What are natural sources of iodine? I use Celtic sea salt, we love it....but it does not have iodine.

Edited to answer my own ?.

Food Sources of Iodine:
                    Asparagus
                    Dulse
                    Garlic
                    Kelp
                    Lima beans
                    Mushrooms
                    Seafood
                    Sea salt and fortified salt
                    Seaweed
                    Sesame seeds
                    Soybeans
                    Spinach
                    Summer squash
                    Swiss chard
                    Turnip greens
                    Last edited by dacec; 06-18-2010, 05:53 AM.

Comment

just to add to off topic fodder, every time i see your subject line, i read it as:

IT WAS...SOAP.....POISONING!!!!

carry on.
                      sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

It's a good thing I use sea salt on most of my cooking then I always use a bit of salt because cutting out all boxes and cans, and eating out very rarely, mean that if you're getting almost no sodium at all. Plus, sea salt really boosts the flavor of whatever you're cooking, and you don't need much of it to get an impact.
                        You are what you eat,
                        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

@ breadsauce

this link might be helpful

http://www.highbloodpressureinfo.org...rich-food.html
                          Living the hard way has never been so easy!
                          My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

Comment

Originally posted by dacec View Post
                            What are natural sources of iodine? I use Celtic sea salt, we love it....but it does not have iodine.

Edited to answer my own ?.

Food Sources of Iodine:
                            Asparagus
                            Dulse
                            Garlic
                            Kelp
                            Lima beans
                            Mushrooms
                            Seafood
                            Sea salt and fortified salt
                            Seaweed
                            Sesame seeds
                            Soybeans
                            Spinach
                            Summer squash
                            Swiss chard
                            Turnip greens
                            Delurking to point out that sea salt does contain iodine. Everything from the sea is a natural sorce of iodine. Table salt has iodine added to it.

I just came off 6 weeks of a low iodine diet (for medical reasons) and I wasn't allowed to have eggs, dairy, soy, seafood/fish/sea salt, and I was limited to 4oz meat per day. Meat and dairy were limited/off limits because an iodine solution is used for cleaning during processing/milking. So even though those foods don't naturally contain iodine they end up with it by the time they hit the shelves of the store.

All the fruits/veggies on your list were not off limits to me so my guess is they don't have huge amounts of iodine.

Comment

Iodine content in food varies from country to country. If you live in New Zealand for example you may have to supplement. Here's an interesting article on the subject: http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/nutrition-iodine

The iodine content of, vegetables, fruits and grains generally reflect the iodine level of the soil in which they were grown. The iodine content of New Zealand soils is low and as a consequence locally produced foods are also low in iodine.
                              My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Working...
                              X