• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rye Bread

Is Rye bread primal?

Im going to say no.

Comment

The word bread.... Rye is still a grain and rye bread is still mostly wheat flour. Not even a snowball's chance of being primal.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

that's what I thought too

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelA View Post
          that's what I thought too

A good rye doesn't have any wheat at all--my wife is a professional baker (lol, yes, paleo nightmare), and I've watched her prepare it.

Comment

Originally posted by feliks View Post

A good rye doesn't have any wheat at all--my wife is a professional baker (lol, yes, paleo nightmare), and I've watched her prepare it.
            But whether or not the bread contains wheat is not really the issue--rye itself is a gluten grain, and therefore not primal.

Comment

Back before I gave up gluten, I used to make the sort of "good rye" bread being discussed. It was like a brick. Not everyone would agree it was bread-like.

Comment

Good rye bread (as I knew it) should be dense, heavy and ~awesome~. Huck it full of various seeds like caraway and you have a winner.

Not these days, though.

M.

Comment

If I'm gonna bother with rye, it better have a proof of 80+.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I wish it was--I like rye bread. And sourdough. I'm fine with just having it occasionally in a restaurant, tho.
                    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                    (Red Dwarf)

Comment

After giving up gluten I made imitation rye bread from natural whole-grain corn flour and dark buckwheat. And lots of seeds, including mostly caraway, but also fennel, anise, and I think celery seeds. I ground up some of the seeds so the flavor would permeate the dough. It was actually pretty good, if you like rye bread that is like a brick and tastes strongly of caraway.

Turns out both corn and buckwheat are grains I'm mildly intolerant to. But I'd eat a slice of that if somebody put it in front of me.

Comment

Working...
                      X