Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pan Searing steak question...

dx
    Last edited by Anopsmoves; 06-04-2017, 06:41 PM.

The classic advice is to add the oil/butter after the pan gets hot. From what I've read though, there's no real difference between the two techniques though, except in two circumstances.

If you're using a non-stick pan, always heat it with something on it, because of the fumes. Though I'd recommend dropping the Teflon and getting a cast iron pan.

If you're going to use very hot temperatures, you want the oil to be exposed to the heat for a minimal amount of time, so add the oil after the pan has heated.

Comment

Anyone who cooks a steak in a flat pan should be shot. It's a Crime Against Cows.

If you have to cook stove top, use a ribbed pan. No oil needed, and the end result is scrumpaliscous. Just like on a grill. It has to do with the fats being able to drop away, and water vapors not steaming the meat as with a flat pan.

Comment

fffffffffff
        Last edited by Anopsmoves; 06-04-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

you don't need any added oil to cook a steak.

for other foods, heat the pan then add your cooking fat.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

It's true, a steak doesn't need added oil.

I sear my steaks using a cast iron pan, without oven finishing them. People who swear by other steak cooking styles and have been reluctant to try my method have gone on rants after trying my steaks about how good they are compared to how they thought they would be. One roommate refused to try my pan seared steaks for months, then after trying one he said he had wasted all of his previous steaks by grilling them, hehe.

Comment

I let the steak sit on the counter for half an hour or so. Close to cooking time I'll rub in salt and pepper on both sides. I heat the pan on medium, dry, and flick a drop of water on the pan to see if it's hot enough. The water should dance. I lay the steak on, being careful to position it well on the first try. I sear it for however many minutes depending on the thickness of the steak and the preference of the eater, flip sides, cook the same amount of time, then pick it up with tongs and sear the edges as well. Not multiple minutes per edge, but enough that there's a visual change.

If you're using a good pan then the steak won't stick when it's seared. It WILL stick before it's seared though, so you don't want to move the steak before that's happened

I prefer my steaks rarer so I only cook a few minutes per side, but I don't have a hard and fast rule for this many minutes for this level of doneness for this thickness, sorry. It's a bit intuitive at that point. Being on medium heat instead of high, it's easier to err on the side of longer cooking for those who prefer medium doneness.

Let sit for half the time it took to cook, then enjoy!

Comment

with searing any food, it will release easily when the surface is seared. if it sticks it's not ready or you have a piece of shit pan.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I am about to lay down some knowledge that will Be LIFE CHANGiNG!

It is called.........wait for it.....

Reverse sear

Cook your steak (in the oven if you must) at relative low temps 275 is my go to....until it is within about 10 degrees of desired doneness. Get your pan our grill screamin hot. Sear it a minut or two on each side. You get coast to coast edge to edge perfect medium rare (my preference) with that outer Maillard reaction we all love. With the standard way you totally get a half well done steak and half medium rare by thickness. Reverse sear FTW everytime!

Comment

neck, i like the reverse sear method too!

op: just use the cast-iron. it's seasoned, right?

eta: there will be a few degrees of carry-over cooking after you take the meat from the pan. pull it 5-10 degrees under desired doneness and let it rest 10 minutes or so before cutting.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Medium rare is about 140. I prefer to errr on the rarer side so usually move to sear at 120, but you could do about 130 if you tend towRd medium.

Comment

Reverse sear is a very nice method, especially for thick steaks and even roasts.

The sear part can be in a well seasoned cast iron pan, the grill or even the broiler.
                        https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                          Medium rare is about 140. I prefer to errr on the rarer side so usually move to sear at 120, but you could do about 130 if you tend towRd medium.
                          My extensive experiments with grilling and BBQ have me pulling the meat off of the grill when it hits 130 degrees. It then coasts up to 135, perfect medium-rare.

The absolutely best source for all matters of grilling and BBQ is http://amazingribs.com/ He used to have a temperature guide image online, but i can't find it now. Apparently he now sells it as a refrigerator magnet available from Amazon. I printed the image several years ago and put it in a plastic sleeve and keep it in my recipe binder.

"meathead", the webmaster, discusses reverse searing. That's also the premise of those hot water bath things Dr. Eades has pushed. Heat to whatever not quite done temperature, then sear.

I was joking about those who pan fry should be shot. Almost.

Comment

If you guys want to try something mindblowingly delicious. Try marinating your steak in fish-sauce before hand. Tuck a thick steak in a gallon ziplock bag with a cup or so of good fish sauce, then let it sit an hour. I will let it sit in a large bowl or pot of warm water to get the temp a little higher than room temp.

Take the steak out after an hour is up, pat good and dry, and grill or sear to your preference. Fish sauce tenderizes the meat but also enhances the flavor to a sublime level that needs to be experienced to believe. My uncle taught me that trick twenty years back and I rarely stray.
                            Last edited by JeromeCB; 02-24-2016, 02:50 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                              neck, i like the reverse sear method too!
                              I have never looked back since finding how well this method works

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                              My extensive experiments with grilling and BBQ have me pulling the meat off of the grill when it hits 130 degrees. It then coasts up to 135, perfect medium-rare.

The absolutely best source for all matters of grilling and BBQ is http://amazingribs.com/ He used to have a temperature guide image online, but i can't find it now. Apparently he now sells it as a refrigerator magnet available from Amazon. I printed the image several years ago and put it in a plastic sleeve and keep it in my recipe binder.

"meathead", the webmaster, discusses reverse searing. That's also the premise of those hot water bath things Dr. Eades has pushed. Heat to whatever not quite done temperature, then sear.

I was joking about those who pan fry should be shot. Almost.
                              A great forum that I now frequent much more often is www.bbq-brethren.com great place.

Originally posted by JeromeCB View Post
                              If you guys want to try something mindblowingly delicious. Try marinating your steak in fish-sauce before hand. Tuck a thick steak in a gallon ziplock bag with a cup or so of good fish sauce, then let it sit an hour. I will let it sit in a large bowl or pot of warm water to get the temp a little higher than room temp.

Take the steak out after an hour is up, pat good and dry, and grill or sear to your preference. Fish sauce tenderizes the meat but also enhances the flavor to a sublime level that needs to be experienced to believe. My uncle taught me that trick twenty years back and I rarely stray.
                              Ive used worcestershire sauce before but never fish sauce. Will have to give it a go! Thx!

Comment

Working...
                              X