Bone broth carbs and calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone broth carbs and calories

I'm considering switching from a morning cup of coffee with cream to a cup of chicken bone broth early instead and then have breakfast. Would anyone have a rough idea of the calorie and carb value of the broth? The broth is made from chicken skin, and bones along with a carrot, celery and onion plus water. We all make it differently but that's all that's in the broth. I recently returned from the hospital (knee replacement) with about 5 extra lbs. I'm still battling to get rid of them and don't want to add to my problems. I did my best to keep the carbs low while I was there and that was a real struggle. Over several months I had both knees replaced and a procedure to insert a pacemaker. I want to blame the artifical knees and the pacemaker for the added weight. But even I don't believe that.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-23-2016, 01:28 AM.

if you remove the fat from the broth, i doubt you'd wind up with more than 50 cals for a serving -- and that would be a high estimate.

the 5 pounds may go as you become more active again too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

The calorie and carb content will be almost nil. For fat, if you skim the fat off the top the next day (which i think most people do), that takes out a large chunk of the calories. The carbs will be limited to whatever is leeched from the vegetables you put in. Because of the collagen in it, it does have a decent protein profile. Not high mind you, but probably more than you'd expect in 1 cup.

Comment

Calories and nutrients in bone broth is impossible to narrow down. Even with the higher calorie fat scraped off, the remaining gelatin can vary a lot in density/dilution. I did an experiment some time ago, I took a cup of the broth I had, removed the fat, cooked it down, then let the rest of the water evaporate, then weighed it on my lab scale. I came up with one cup of broth having the equivalent of 11 of gelatin, about 1.5 tablespoons. (Which is 37 cals, 9.7 grams of protein.)

I'm sure there are a huge number of possible variables, but that should work for the rough out.

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
          if you remove the fat from the broth, i doubt you'd wind up with more than 50 cals for a serving -- and that would be a high estimate.

the 5 pounds may go as you become more active again too.
          Thanks. I neglected to say in my post that after the broth is strained I put it in the refrigerator overnight and lift off the hardened (not so much hardened as a dense paste) fat the next day. Also, in my list of ingredients I forgot to add 3 chicken feet. I'm amazed at how gelled the broth becomes after being in the refrigerator over night. Must be the chicken feet!

Since I'm able to walk better and better without pain, I wonder if I could have built up muscle? But 5 lbs. worth? Actually 6 lbs but I've managed to beat off 1 lb.

Comment

The numbers I'm getting from all of you tell me that the calories and carbs won't be an issue. I'm just so frustrated with that extra weight that doesn't co-operate my efforts to get rid of it, yet my clothes to fit the same.

Comment

Rosemary, gelatin and bone broth are low carb and low calorie. Did you not see my very specific post a few up?

Chicken feet are in inexpensive way to get lots of collagen. I love how they wiggle and look like zombie hands or something.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                Rosemary, gelatin and bone broth are low carb and low calorie. Did you not see my very specific post a few up?

Chicken feet are in inexpensive way to get lots of collagen. I love how they wiggle and look like zombie hands or something.
                Not only did I see and appreciated it, I read it carefully and have already referred back to it once or twice. Thank you for the effort. I intend to start drinking a cup every morning and being the calories and carbs are so low I deserve to have the coffee and cream too. I am trying to figure out how to store up enough broth to have it regularly. I freeze it all the time as a soup base My slow cooker can produce 8 cups of strained broth at a time but I have a reluctance to ask family, friends and neighbors, near and far, to save their chicken bones for me.

Comment

in mark's recent collagen post he mentioned bone broth helped him sleep, so maybe have it at night.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                    I have a reluctance to ask family, friends and neighbors, near and far, to save their chicken bones for me.
                    You could get chicken feet by the bag in Chinese grocers, but they are grain fed.

I purchase pastured chicken feet from a farmer at a farmers' market. Since I buy 40 pounds at a time, I am able to bargain and cut the price down to two dollars a pound

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                      in mark's recent collagen post he mentioned bone broth helped him sleep, so maybe have it at night.
                      That's a good idea. I've been having problems sleeping for quite awhile. It's worth a try before I start over the counter sleeping aids. They so often leave me groggy the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by coolrain View Post
                        You could get chicken feet by the bag in Chinese grocers, but they are grain fed.

I purchase pastured chicken feet from a farmer at a farmers' market. Since I buy 40 pounds at a time, I am able to bargain and cut the price down to two dollars a pound
                        I bought chicken feet at a Hispanic market here for $2.49 a lb. I was surprised they cost that much, but I was also surprised at the price of beef soup bones. The feet come in a package of about 20, I flash freeze them and then put them in a freezer bag so I can just take out 2 or 3. How do you manage 40 lbs?

Comment

Originally posted by coolrain View Post

i'd be very surprised if those birds don't get supplemental feed. grains aren't inherently bad for chickens, but they are omnivores so, there is that. further, if you skim the fat off the broth you don't need to worry about whatever cafo concerns you may have. although you're getting a great deal!

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                          I bought chicken feet at a Hispanic market here for $2.49 a lb. I was surprised they cost that much, but I was also surprised at the price of beef soup bones. The feet come in a package of about 20, I flash freeze them and then put them in a freezer bag so I can just take out 2 or 3. How do you manage 40 lbs?
                          even though chicken feet freak out westerners they are a prized delicacy for the chinese and each bird only has 2!

beef bone prices have definitely gone up, but so has the price of beef. even so, cost per serving of broth is still very low. a pig's foot also adds lots of collagen to broth, btw.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                          X