Carb/Fiber daily total help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb/Fiber daily total help

I have celiac disease and I'm battling SIBO, adrenal fatigue (waiting on the medication to ship from India) and constipation/gas/bloating...which I think has gotten worse since going paleo. I'm wondering what the recommendation is for carb intake for a female who is athletic, I get in an hour of moderate cardio every morning (keeps me balanced and its not intense), weight lift once a week at home, backcountry/alpine skier, mountain bike, hike on most weekends. I understand I should minus the fiber content of foods to figure out the total number of carbs I'm eating in a day...is this accurate?

Is it best that the carbs come from quinoa/rice/lentils vs. berries/fruit (limited with SIBO anyway) can't do potatoes with SIBO/low fodmaps yet.

so, my question is should my carb intake be at least 100-150 AFTER I minus the Fiber? Looking at carb totals now with daily plate it is at that level with just the fruits and veggies I eat but that does not count for fiber. I'm trying to get this all sorted out because I don't want my performance to continue to struggle with my sports before I start this round of treatment with the money I'm investing I really want to be spot on with my diet. If someone can help me with those totals that would be great. Thanks!

with you being in the states and the meds coming from india, are you self-diagnosing all this? what are you eating now? why do you want t go low-carb? you're very active, so i don't think 100 gms of carbs is going to fuel you properly. you say your activities are "not intense", but you may want to consider swapping in some yoga or long slow walks instead for awhile -- especially if you suspect adrenal fatigue.

how are your sleep and stress?

magnesium citrate will help with your constipation. you may want to look into something like ashwagandha for your adrenal issues, depending on what else you are taking.

have you tried adding gelatin to your diet? either from bone broth or powdered? collagen helps build collagen, i.e., your gut. foods like oysters have lots of zinc which helps to build collagen too.

the quinoa and the rice are pretty empty, so i'd look more at lentils and other legumes. are there other tubers you can have -- yucca, tarro, sunchokes? what about plantains or green bananas?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Please don't take the meds from India. When I was diagnosed with SIBO my doctor specifically told me NOT to take the meds from India. They are not pure - they add fillers that could potentially make you sicker than you already are. Especially if you have celiac!

PLEASE -- I know you've paid for the meds - but don't take them!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Originally posted by tomi View Post
        Please don't take the meds from India. When I was diagnosed with SIBO my doctor specifically told me NOT to take the meds from India. They are not pure - they add fillers that could potentially make you sicker than you already are. Especially if you have celiac!

Sounds like unsubstantiated fear mongering to me. Do you know how many pills sold be Big Pharma come from India? Or one of many other countries? I've never had a problem buying meds internationally online.

It's like American dentists saying that Mexican and other third world dentists aren't good. Well, many thousand of Americans can vouch that they are as skilled as American dentists, they get the same training. If you want lots of fancy facilities and formality, stick to American dentists. If you want good work at low prices, I recommend Mexico.

Comment

OP, Atkins recommended the subtraction of fiber from total carbs. But we know more now that we did then. A lot of fiber still winds up being digested, thus they aren't free carbs. The trick is, to know what food does what, but the problem is, we really don't know. Look at the surprise discovery of resistant starches in the 1980's and ongoing research. Lentils' carbs seem to be all RS or something, as one source says, "very slow to digest." Sound like RS to me. I can eat a cup of lentils and the glucometer barely bumps.

Count your carbs as indicated, no net stuff.

It sounds like your lifestyle would have no trouble going 150-200, especially if mostly from whole foods.

Comment

I tried the standard food restriction and natural microbe-killing approach, and nothing seemed to make much of a difference in my digestive problems. What made my laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) go away seems to have been getting a fitness tracker and walking 10k+ steps per day. My guess is that the increase in slow movement increased gut motility. I've done some reading about the vagus nerve and the migrating motor complex and found additional recommendations for increasing gut motility.

Comment

Originally posted by tomi View Post

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
              Sounds like unsubstantiated fear mongering to me. Do you know how many pills sold be Big Pharma come from India? Or one of many other countries? I've never had a problem buying meds internationally online.

It's like American dentists saying that Mexican and other third world dentists aren't good. Well, many thousand of Americans can vouch that they are as skilled as American dentists, they get the same training. If you want lots of fancy facilities and formality, stick to American dentists. If you want good work at low prices, I recommend Mexico.
              prescription pills manufactured abroad for american companies have quality standards to which they must adhere. rando companies selling "meds" via the internet do not. for anything that normally requires a prescription i would not consume "meds" i bought on the internet regardless of country of origin.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Everyone, I am working with a functional wellness doctor and registered dietician who is certified in the SIBO protocol as well. She has found this pharmacy and has done her due diligence. Otherwise, insurance won't cover it and its $900...I can't afford that. I'm following her specific recommendations and as a dietician working with her as well on the adrenal fatigue. She knows more than I do about nutrition which was a rarity in all the dieticians I've worked with as I've been sick for SO long. Just need the fiber/carb and fruit advice. Sorry to bother ya with those details. Thanks!!

Comment

And a GI doctor as well, the pharmacy is in Canada and does require a prescription.

Comment

The standard method in low carb diets is to subtract fiber for a "net carbs" approach. That approach seems to work, so there's no reason to change it up. Since you're very active, you may undershoot considerably if you don't subtract the fiber.

As for sources, it seems like a lot of athletes here use rice as a carb source to fuel their workouts. With white rice, there's hardly any fiber, so you won't need to worry about net carbs.

Comment

op: sorry if some of us seemed like nervous nellies, but am very glad you are working with a pro.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                        prescription pills manufactured abroad for american companies have quality standards to which they must adhere. rando companies selling "meds" via the internet do not. for anything that normally requires a prescription i would not consume "meds" i bought on the internet regardless of country of origin.
                        Definitely overcautious, but feel free to go for the $900 option......

Do you really think that the same companies that make it for the Big Pharma companies aren't backdooring the same products? That happened for years with inkjet cartridges before electronic analysis made it so easy to copy. I used to get Chinese carts that were EXACTLY like Canon's in every way except labeling. Just a very good copy? Perhaps. I'm sure Canon could not control the output of the empty cartridge factory, so how many took a detour?

I did a stint at a company that published very expensive, very technical books on a range of topics. One of the big sellers were books on manufacturing pharmaceuticals. I remember shipping titles to many countries all over the world. Making most common pharmaceuticals is not rocket science anymore.

Comment

No one can tell you what your ideal carbs should be. Only YOU can decide and the only way to do so is to experiment with different amounts.

The primal blueprint carb guidelines say 150-300g will cause insidious weight gain, and that over 300g is a danger zone that will result in diabetes. I eat well over 300g and not only have I lost 30 lbs in the last year, my most recent fasting blood glucose was 70 mg/dl (normal is 65-99), so no diabetes for me!

-If your performance is struggling, eat more carbs until you reach a level that meets your performance needs.
                          -If constipation has gotten worse with paleo which is not surprising at all, eat more starches like grains, legumes and fruits. Which ones are better? Whichever ones you like and that agree with you.
                          -As for fiber, the RDA is about 25g for women. I get at least 45g+ every day. That's because I eat lots of legumes, fruits, veg and grains and tubers. I used to have constipation when I was strictly primal. My gut is way healthier now and digestion is excellent.
                          -So should you minus or not minus the fiber? Does 25-50g really make that much of a difference especially considering that you're active? To me it seems only the people who concern theselves with net or not net amounts are those who're sedentary and also trying to do ultra low carb or ketogenic. For you, I don't think it's worth the microanalysis.
                          *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
                          *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
                          *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Comment

Originally posted by KimLean125byMar15 View Post
                            No one can tell you what your ideal carbs should be. Only YOU can decide and the only way to do so is to experiment with different amounts.

The primal blueprint carb guidelines say 150-300g will cause insidious weight gain, and that over 300g is a danger zone that will result in diabetes. I eat well over 300g and not only have I lost 30 lbs in the last year, my most recent fasting blood glucose was 70 mg/dl (normal is 65-99), so no diabetes for me!

-If your performance is struggling, eat more carbs until you reach a level that meets your performance needs.
                            -If constipation has gotten worse with paleo which is not surprising at all, eat more starches like grains, legumes and fruits. Which ones are better? Whichever ones you like and that agree with you.
                            -As for fiber, the RDA is about 25g for women. I get at least 45g+ every day. That's because I eat lots of legumes, fruits, veg and grains and tubers. I used to have constipation when I was strictly primal. My gut is way healthier now and digestion is excellent.
                            -So should you minus or not minus the fiber? Does 25-50g really make that much of a difference especially considering that you're active? To me it seems only the people who concern theselves with net or not net amounts are those who're sedentary and also trying to do ultra low carb or ketogenic. For you, I don't think it's worth the microanalysis.
                            No one can decide but themselves, huh? Then, you proceed to tell the OP yourself? How do you know it's not worth the microanslysis?
                            Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                            Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                              No one can decide but themselves, huh? Then, you proceed to tell the OP yourself? How do you know it's not worth the microanslysis?
                              Where did I tell her how many carbs she should eat? Nowhere.

I did say eat more because she said her performance was suffering. I hope you're not going to suggest that eating less carbs will in fact improve athletic performance. How much more she should eat is something that's subject to her results, how well she feels, performs, etc and none of us can pretend to predict how much that will be.
                              *Starting Wt - 151 lbs (January 2015) * Current Wt - 113 lbs (November 2016)
                              *95% Plant-Based (from June 2015) ~ *75%Carbs *10-15%Protein *10-15%Fat
                              *Exercise ~7-10 hrs/week

Comment

Working...
                              X