How do you open a coconut?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you open a coconut?

I've been enjoying all types of coconut products, and I've tried a whole mature coconut as well as a young coconut. The problem is, whole coconuts are a pain to open. I usually start out with a sharp butcher knife, then when that doesn't work, take a hammer to it. This gets pretty messy, as the brown husk gets inside. So, after drinking the water, what's your favorite method for opening the rest of a coconut?

Crack it open on my skull...
    On a more serious note, an ice pick does wonders.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

haha

Sometimes there is an "eye" that can be stabbed and the water can be extracted without spilling. Then I usually whack it against the ground. Coconut is the most fun plant to kill
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Ice pick in the eye to get the liquid, then my husband uses some big fancy woodworking tool in the garage. Table saw, or a saw type thingy.
        SW: 235
        CW:220
        Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
        Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
        Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
        Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

A Skilsaw would work well too. Maybe a Dremel would, but That I'm not sure if you'd get deep enough. I think Alton Brown recommended a circular saw, jig saw or axe.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

I was watching Survivorman the other day, and it was the episode where he was stranded on a tropical island with plenty of coconuts. He held the coconut in one hand and used the blade of a boat propeller in the other. He smacked the coconut all the way around with the propeller and it just fell open. I haven't tried this, but I'm guessing the back of a cleaver or other heavy knife could be used in the same way. Personally, I like to smash them on the ground after the water has been drained.

Good luck!

Comment

If I am in a hurry, having a wide mouth container to catch the water, I strike it just below the eyes with a stout machete or even a hammer.

Usually, because I use the shell to make things, I will cut just below the eyes with a hack saw. If it is totally dry, I will use a band saw because I can be lazy.
              Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

I use a tile saw with a wood cutting blade (for hardwood flooring) that is always set up in my garage. I've been known to run my chickens past that blade too. I usually drill two holes in a coconut to get the water first. I do not drill through the eye though. I get a cleaner pour drilling through the side twice.

Comment

Just put it inside a plastic bag and throw it on the ground.
                  Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                  Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                  No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                  Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

I drill through the eyes to get the water out and then I put it in a large ziploc freezer bag and take a hammer to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
                      Just put it inside a plastic bag and throw it on the ground.
                      +1
                      www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Working...
                      X