carb creep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb creep

I'm finding I'm letting more and more creep back in. Sometimes I wonder about the deprivation side of things on the PB? For the most part I have been fine about ditching grains, rice and pasta but there are little cheats that pop in. For instance rice crackers as a snack rather than whole grain crackers and cheese as I use to eat - I'm convincing myself gluten free is better!. And lately I've been having some cravings (for lack of a better word) for more starchy carbs and I've been indulging - potatoes especially, I really miss potatos. Admittedly I'm at a good weight and its not a major deal, but has anyone else experienced carb creep back into their lives. Did it go too far before you thought oops.

Are you lifting weights? Are you at your ideal weight? If yes to both and feel free to enjoy a moderate amount of carbs as outlined by the PB.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I feel like I'm "high carb" compared to some people around here and I'm realistically only consuming 100-150 grams including fiber a day. A couple of cups of yams, a banana, some berries, plenty of vegetables, what more is there? Mark's upper limit is 150g and I think that's perfectly reasonable as an upper limit. In the absence of inflammatory problems, gut dysbiosis and permeability, insulin resistance (kind of ties into the aforementioned), nutrient deficiencies, etc I don't think that the upper limit is necessarily a bad thing. Realistically it's 20% of calories maximum (less for heavy eaters) and makes room for potatoes and things. It's not quite the cereal, milk, fruit breakfast, big sandwich with mammoth bun for lunch, pasta far dinner, kashi bars and apples all throughout the day, but who the heck would want that?
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I'm going to start lifting weights, have just joined the gym.

I think I just fear that insidious weight gain. I dont track my food intake anywhere, I worry that perhaps by letting the carbs creep in too far before you know it I'll be back in the wrong part of the carb curve... trouble is, I am just having these moments of feeling deprived.... weird.

Comment

I think it's important not to feel deprived. Having a little bit of whatever I'm feeling deprived of helps me. If I'm wanting a small scoop of the delicious garlic roasted potatoes my friend lovingly made for us, then I have it!!! I would try to find an alternative to snacking on things like rice crackers though... that's the kind of stuff that will creep up on you.
          The more I see the less I know for sure.
          -John Lennon

Comment

I'm currently experiencing very similar feelings. I do think its partly to do with it being winter in NZ at the moment - cold, dark weather always makes me reach for carbs. I think on some level my body wants me to fatten up in preparation for the scarcities of winter! I just got back from a weekend in Queenstown (which was beautiful but absolutely freezing) where I caved in to the carb cravings (had bread, potatoes, hot chocolate.........). Sure enough, I've gained a couple of pounds (presumably mostly water weight....I didn't go that crazy) and now feel a bit squishy.

Hopefully, the trick is to realise that we are having carb cravings and manage them in a sensible way. Its cold. I want carbs. I'll have a small amount of yams with my dinner. I'm hoping that by doing this I can head the non-primal carb cravings off at the pass.
            Last edited by Squeaker; 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I agree w/ LEM that feeling deprived is NOT a good thing. If I'm ever feeling deprived, I take a look at what I was feeling deprived of, either just eat it (if it's gluten/dairy/grain free) or find a way to make it in a more primal fashion. When I get too obsessed w/ tracking numbers etc, and it's not a total blast thinking about eating, I stop calculating totally, and just focus on getting in good, real primal foods--meaning however much of anything I want (including carbs/fruit) as long as they are primal.

I think there are amazing folks on this forum, with excellent info to share. But there is a TON of carbaphobia/anti-carb sentiment as well (often for good reason.) But the basis of this place (in terms of carbs) is the PB carb curve, and if you're keeping them around 150 or less a day, and not wanting to lose weight, I wouldn't worry about it. And as far as potatoes go, check out Free the Animal for a potato inclusive mentality on paleo living, or the 'primal potatoes' posts on the Primal Wisdom blog. (I include potatoes in my diet and feel that I am still basically paleo/primal...)

And I'd work on a nut flour cracker alternative perhaps if you must have them...I've had rice crackers, and they are just not very good imo. (I really REALLY like being grain free though--maybe rice crackers are part of your 20%)

Above all else, make this diet work for you. 80/20 is there for a reason, some folks really need it. My 20% includes, for the most part, potatoes, dark chocolate, wine, and small amounts of maple syrup or honey in sauces/dressings/desserts/etc. (I'm my head, all those foods are *basically* primal anyway, but that is just my view on it. I really don't ever feel like I'm 'cheating', maybe b/c the 80/20 is a 'rule' embedded in the 'plan'. Looking at the PB as a way of living instead of a diet that might deprive me of this or that is helpful for me to stay with it and continue to absolutely love it.
              My Before/After Pics
              Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

I'm convincing myself gluten free is better!
                Oh, and IMO, gluten free IS always better--much better--at least for those of us w/ gluten intolerance issues (many of us!)
                My Before/After Pics
                Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

Here is the free the animal link on potatoes, w/ links to the Primal Wisdom potato posts in it: http://freetheanimal.com/2010/04/pal...-potatoes.html

Just fyi!
                  My Before/After Pics

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                    I feel like I'm "high carb" compared to some people around here and I'm realistically only consuming 100-150 grams including fiber a day. A couple of cups of yams, a banana, some berries, plenty of vegetables, what more is there? Mark's upper limit is 150g and I think that's perfectly reasonable as an upper limit. In the absence of inflammatory problems, gut dysbiosis and permeability, insulin resistance (kind of ties into the aforementioned), nutrient deficiencies, etc I don't think that the upper limit is necessarily a bad thing. Realistically it's 20% of calories maximum (less for heavy eaters) and makes room for potatoes and things. It's not quite the cereal, milk, fruit breakfast, big sandwich with mammoth bun for lunch, pasta far dinner, kashi bars and apples all throughout the day, but who the heck would want that?
                    + a kerjillion.
                    sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

I'm inclined to say have a potato if you want it, but make you sure you smother it in butter or cheese (or both). Grains are probably the worst carbs so if you steer clear of them you will probably be fine.
                      My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

I have 1/2 a white potato once a week or so smothered in butter and cheese like jo said or 1/2 a sweet potato with just butter. I usually eat it last, all other vegies and meat first. A lot of times I don't finish it because I am full. To me this allows me to have the potato I am craving while ensuring I don't over eat on it.

Just a thought.
                        Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                          It's not quite the cereal, milk, fruit breakfast, big sandwich with mammoth bun for lunch, pasta far dinner, kashi bars and apples all throughout the day, but who the heck would want that?
                          Ummmmm... this guy would. Plus pizza, chinese food, cake, honey buns, mac and cheese, and a number of other things. I don't eat any of that because I know it isn't good for me but honestly sometimes bacon, steak etc isn't what I am craving. I was watching the food network like usual and it sucks seeing all that food I shouldn't eat, but thats just me.
                          "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Yesterday, as an experiment to see if I could break out of a 4-week weight loss stall, I increased my carb quotient from average 40-75 gms per day, to somewhere between 130-150gms. It worked! Today I was down 1.5 lbs from where I've been stuck the past month. This is the second time that a "carb up" day has worked this way for me. Some athletes here eat seriously more carbs on their carb up days, but this was as far as I wanted to go, and I'm pleased with the results. I will definitely keep this trick in my repetoire.
                            I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                              Here is the free the animal link on potatoes, w/ links to the Primal Wisdom potato posts in it: http://freetheanimal.com/2010/04/pal...-potatoes.html

Just fyi!
                              thanks fairy rae, that link is very interesting! and thanks others for that sensible advice. Perhaps like squeaker says it is because it is winter and cold that makes me crave comfort food more.

I wish I could just buy some primal crackers somewhere... I just cant be bothered making them sometimes, that's why rice crackers have been my standby. Hmmm well, I will just have to have a rethink on that one. Truth be told it's not like I need to have crackers and dip before dinner, its just a little routine I'm going through at the moment. SO MUCH to consider.

Sometimes this eating healthy lark is not as easy as its cracked up to be ... LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X