Sauerkraut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sauerkraut

I want to make some of this and wondered if a caffetiere (French Press) would be a suitable thing to make it in? I thought the filter would keep the cabbage submerged and the lid would keep flies out - would there be a downside I haven't thought of?

Geez, you must have one giant caffetiere!

Comment

If it is metal you may get a reaction from the fermentation process.

Comment

Most of the recipes I have read have the cabbage in glass, weighted down with a plate with a weight on it--brick in a zip lock bag and the like, letting the brine rise over the plate. Cover with a thin kitchen towel or cheese cloth to keep the flies out.
        Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
        Re-Start date 6/23/2011
        me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
        273.4/269.3/115
        Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

Is the sauerkraut from the store worth it or does it just have alot of junk in it? I was going to buy some and saw that the only ingredients were sauerkraut and salt, but after reading some sites they said that store-bought sauerkraut is just cabbage soaked in salty vinegar. Anyone eat the stuff from the store?

Comment

I got some expensive kraut from whole foods, its raw and organic and claims to have all the nautarl fermented beasties in there. I think its garden of eden brand. Its very good.
            sigpic

Comment

Mmm, I love sauerkraut. Good to know there are some good kinds at the health food store. I will have to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
                I got some expensive kraut from whole foods, its raw and organic and claims to have all the nautarl fermented beasties in there. I think its garden of eden brand. Its very good.
                Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't go to whole foods due to the outrageous prices (almond butter is twice the price and half as much there as compared to Trader Joe's). The sauerkraut I saw was in Acme. Does anyone get some from TJ's or Wegman's?

Edit: Nvm, just searched Wegman's website and they have a number of sauerkraut brands, so I'll check it out when I get back from Italy.
                Last edited by Joe B; 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I have read that Bubbies is supposed to be good as well.
                  ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                  Re-Start date 6/23/2011
                  273.4/269.3/115
                  Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

Bubbie's brand is just cabbage, vinegar and water. They also have pickles that are fermented w/o vinegar. Look for no vinegar, no preservatives, not pasteurized.

Comment

Originally posted by Egoldstein View Post
                      Bubbie's brand is just cabbage, vinegar and water. They also have pickles that are fermented w/o vinegar. Look for no vinegar, no preservatives, not pasteurized.
                      Thank you! I haven't bought Bubbies, but have seen it highly reccomended on other forums as a good way to go... didn't realize that it has vinegar in it... I am toying with making my own with just salt brine and cabbage.
                      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                      Re-Start date 6/23/2011
                      273.4/269.3/115
                      Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

ignore my previous comment. Bubbie's sauerkraut only has cabbage, salt and water. The sour taste comes from fermentation. They also have some pickles that are naturally fermented, but you have to check the labels.

Comment

Bubbies is the bomb! The sauerkraut is *delicious#!

Comment

You can make your own, very easy, cabbage and sea salt and a few wide mouth mason jars. Very delicious.
                            You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

after checking mine at home, it is indeed 'bubbies'
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X