Easy way to hit 3,000 calories while eating "clean"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy way to hit 3,000 calories while eating "clean"

My calorie target is 3,000 calories per day but it is very hard to reach that with minimal cooking time with whole foods. So I've been racking my brain trying to reach the target without spending an absurd amount of time prepping and eating the food. I've had problems with rice in the past but I'm giving it another shot.

Here I came up with.
    Total Calories for the day: 3,000
    Total Actual Prep Time: 22 minutes

Meal 1 - 552 Calories in 5 minutes
    4 eggs - 312 Calories
    Scrambled in 2 TBSP coconut oil - 240 Calories
    Prep Time 5 Min

Snacks - 165 Calories in 2 minutes
    Gelatin - 80 Calories
    Whey - 85 Calories
    Prep Time 2 Min

Meal 2 - 2,320 Calories in 15 minutes
    Bunch of leafy greens and other veggies in the slow cooker - 100 calories
    1.25 pounds of chicken breast - 620 Calories
    2 Cups of white rice - 1,360 Calories
    Can of light coconut milk - 240 Calories

Night before, Wash and throw 2 cups of rice in slow cooker, put in fridge for 12 hours to turn into resistant starch
    Throw veggies and chicken cooker - Set on low, cook for 4 hours
    Cut up chicken into little pieces and mix in with rice
    Pour can of coconut milk into rice and chicken, mix up, add salt.

Meal Prep time:
    Rinsing Rice, turning on rice cooker - 5 min
    Washing chicken and veggies, putting into slow cooker - 5 min
    Cutting chicken, mixing chicken with rice and coconut milk - 5 min

Can anyone else prepare 3,000 calories of non-toxic food in under 22 minutes or less?

am not sure if this is supposed to be a challenge?

the r/s benefits from the rice come from the cooking and cooling. not from soaking it overnight.

you may find it easier and (tastier) to use your slow cooker for "off-cuts" of red meat, like shank, tongue, heart, etc. this will have more cals than chix breast and bscb is a dreadful choice of meat for the slow-cooker. that gadget works best for meats that have lots of collagen and benefit from being cooked low and slow.

you can also steam a few pounds of potatoes at a time, cool and reheat for additional r/s.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
      am not sure if this is supposed to be a challenge?
      The idea here is to prepare prepare a day's worth of calories without anything that is bad for you with a minimal amount of time in the kitchen. Not all of us want to spend 3 hours a day in the kitchen.

the r/s benefits from the rice come from the cooking and cooling. not from soaking it overnight.
      I wan't clear enough in my original post. I meant to cook it the night before in the rice cooker and leave the cooked rice in the fridge over night. I agree there is no benefit to soaking white rice overnight.

chix breast and bscb is a dreadful choice of meat for the slow-cooker.
      The slow cooker is good because you don't have to watch the chicken or turn it over. Also you can cook the veggies at the same time. It is a time saver.

you can also steam a few pounds of potatoes at a time, cool and reheat for additional r/s.
      The problem with potatoes is that most of the solanine is right under the skin. To get over 1,000 calories of potatoes without the skin you will have to spend a lot of time peeling potatoes. This will shoot prep time through the roof. The idea of this thread is to keep prep time down.
      Last edited by ketone_bill; 10-25-2015, 07:56 AM.

Comment

i get you want hands-off/minimal fuss. red meat, or even pork shoulder, is a better choice for the slow cooker than chicken breast. any cut with lots of collagen that needs breaking down is a better choice. are you eating cafo chicken? you're consuming a shit-ton of O6 with your plan.

as for the potatoes, bake off a big bag of russets and just eat the insides. no peeling.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

also your cal count for rice is for raw. rice about triples when cooked. you're going to pound 6-7 cups of rice at a meal?

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I am missing oils in the meals. And nuts and fatty fish. Would be good for Om3:Om6.
            But phh, I am a bloody veggie

Comment

you're consuming a shit-ton of O6 with your plan.
              Not really. By his calorie count, OP is using breast meat only without skin...not a big deal re O6.

Comment

OK, excuse me for my ignorance, but aren't rice and potatoes a no-no on the paleo plan?
                "Live Primally, Train Practically, Prepare Tactically..."

Comment

Originally posted by Off Duty View Post
                  OK, excuse me for my ignorance, but aren't rice and potatoes a no-no on the paleo plan?
                  On mine white potato is limited and rice is counted as a cheat/20%/post workout insulin surge......In essence yes you are correct. Sweet potatoe, squash, and fruit should replace white potatoe and rice in a traditional plan.

But a dude with screen name "ketone bill". Shouldn't be having any of the above!

Comment

Yes, but they seem to acceptable on primal

Comment

i get you want hands-off/minimal fuss. red meat, or even pork shoulder, is a better choice for the slow cooker than chicken breast. any cut with lots of collagen that needs breaking down is a better choice. are you eating cafo chicken? you're consuming a shit-ton of O6 with your plan.
                      Whole Foods has a value pack of Boneless/Skinless chicken breasts that is antibiotic free for $4.69 per pound. This is less than 1/2 the price of a typical cut of grass fed beef at the farmers market. I'll buy short ribs that are really good in the slow cooker when I have time to make it down to the farmer's market and I can reuse the bones for bone broth to get some minerals. I also love beef brisket in the slow cooker too and I cook that overnight. A few years ago I would get oxtail at the farmers market and make bone broth with it but they won't sell it anymore. The farmers tell me it sells out even before they even get to the farmers market. Anyway, I have a little dorm sized fridge with a tiny freezer section that only has enough space for a little bit of meat so I really can't store much.

I like beef much better but the chicken breast is much cheaper for antibiotic free/hormone free meat so I just eat beef once every week or two. The only kind of pork I like is bacon or pork belly but I can't find any pastured pork meat at the farmers market. If pigs are fed corn/soy they will end up with a lot of omega-6.

as for the potatoes, bake off a big bag of russets and just eat the insides. no peeling.
                      This is a good idea but I hate baking because if you forget about the food it starts to burn. My rice cooker makes a loud clicking sound when it's done and it turns to keep warm mode too. If I forget about the meat in the slow cooker for an hour or two it might not be ideal but it won't burn and it will still be edible.

also your cal count for rice is for raw. rice about triples when cooked. you're going to pound 6-7 cups of rice at a meal?
                      This is a problem, especially with plain rice without anything on it. If I add coconut milk and salt it becomes palatable enough to finish. But it does take a fairly long time to eat. But I can work on the computer while I'm eating so it's not so bad.

I've tried eating the same about of calories worth of boiled sweet potatoes and that is even more difficult and takes even more time to eat than the rice.

Originally posted by gergirl View Post
                      I am missing oils in the meals. And nuts and fatty fish. Would be good for Om3:Om6.
                      But phh, I am a bloody veggie
                      The low fat coconut milk has 24g of fat which is almost 2 tbsp of coconut oil. I think that is enough fat for a high carb meal. There is more fat is my first meal of the day (Pastured eggs scrambled in coconut oil)

Brown rice is not paleo at all because it contains anti-nutrients and our digestive system does not do well with it. White rice is neolithic so it's not strictly paleo. But White rice has no anti-nutrients so it is a good source of empty carbs as long as you are getting enough nutrition with the rest of the food you eat. Some people are tolerant of white rice on a paleo diet but there is a wide range of opinions on this.

Potatoes sometimes banned on a paleo diet because they are in the nightshade family and all members of the nightshade family have "poisons" in them. A lot of Paleo people include nightshades if they can tolerate them without issue. Everyone is different so the paleo diet has to be tailored to one's unique biology.

Some paleo people including Robb Wolf have discussed consuming raw potato starch to add resistant starch to your diet. The resistant starch feeds certain good bacteria that produce butyrate which provides fuel to heal your leaky gut if you have a leaky gut.

Comment

And also...just for future reference I wouldn't consider this a Paleo or even a primal forum anymore. More of a hodgepodge of hackis and vegan sympathizers from what I read lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                          On mine white potato is limited and rice is counted as a cheat/20%/post workout insulin surge......In essence yes you are correct. Sweet potatoe, squash, and fruit should replace white potatoe and rice in a traditional plan.

But a dude with screen name "ketone bill". Shouldn't be having any of the above!
                          Haha, I make that screen name when I did a ketogenic diet in the past. I did it twice and the longest I was ketogenic was around a few months. It didn't work out too well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            And also...just for future reference I wouldn't consider this a Paleo or even a primal forum anymore. More of a hodgepodge of hackis and vegan sympathizers from what I read lately.
                            it might be better than when i first joined and people were living on orange juice and sugar.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

it might be better than when i first joined and people were living on orange juice and sugar.
                              That would be the Ray Peat followers and Danny Roddy followers. Definitely not Primal/Paleo but they have some interesting ideas. I think their diet is moderate protein, very low PUFA, low starch, and high sugar.

Comment

Working...
                              X