Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

maybe stupid IF questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • maybe stupid IF questions...

    (1) Does taking supplements like fish oil, multivitamins, etc. break a fast? Not food per se, but still...

    (2) Should you IF when your daily caloric intake in very close to and sometime under your BMR? I find that when I eat primarily fat, I rarely am hungry enough to satisfy my BMR requirements. I don't usually worry about it because I know if I need more my body will get hungry. I'm very close to my maintenance level, but feel like I might need a little boost to get where I want to be.

    Almost completely dairy/fruit/nut free, but maybe 1 or 2 servings a week. Ratios almost always <10% carbs, 20% - 25% protein, 70% - 75% fat.

  • #2
    1) That would be a silly technicality so don't worry about it. But sups are best with food.
    2) What are you basing that calculation on 16 x ea lb of lean mass? If you're near maintenance and not feeling hungry on those low carb figures, god bless and IF your ass off.

    Comment


    • #3
      1. It's your call as to whether or not taking fish oil breaks your fast. It's calories, and for me personally I would wait until an eating period to take any kind of supplement, but that's my call for me.

      2. I'm getting close to maintenance, myself and my plan is to continue with IFing permanently. I'm getting comfortable with it now and I see IFing as not just a tool to meet my health and weight goals but to keep me where I want to be as well. I have no desire to slack off and not noticed as my BF% creeps back up and I get out of shape. What I'm doing now is not a temporary thing at all, it's a lifestyle. IFing is important to me.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Daemonized View Post

        2. I'm getting close to maintenance, myself and my plan is to continue with IFing permanently. I'm getting comfortable with it now and I see IFing as not just a tool to meet my health and weight goals but to keep me where I want to be as well. I have no desire to slack off and not noticed as my BF% creeps back up and I get out of shape. What I'm doing now is not a temporary thing at all, it's a lifestyle. IFing is important to me.
        +1 this is exactly where I am at.

        as far as the vits/sups go, I always thought they should be taken with food, so I take them at night when I break my fast.

        IF ing is a more natural way to approach feeding your body, imo. It not only more closely resembles what our ancestors calorie cycles may have looked like, but it is increasingly the subject of more studies that point to the fact that it is one of the healthiest things you can do for your body. It is a definite lifestyle change for me, for the long term. I am still experimenting with what schedule works for me, and I would advise you do the same, but so far the best advice I can give is to have the fasts broken in the evening, and to never go to sleep on an empty tummy. You should eat normally, without calorie restriction, on your non-fasting days. I think this makes the actual fast a bit more enjoyable and easier to maintain in the long run, and your body will naturally want to compensate for the lost cals during the fast, so its ok to overeat a little on your non-fasting days. Studies have shown that, in women especially, leptin production is substantially increased after refeeds following intermittant fasting, a good thing for maintaining low body fat and tame hunger levels.

        Here is my schedule. I lift, run, and sprint during the week as well, and the IFing has only made me stronger.
        Saturday and Sunday: eat normally (2 meals, but weekends can have lots of variables, and I allow for that) fast starts around 8 pm sunday night
        Monday: early run, fast until 4 pm (20 hr) or 8 pm, eat , take sups
        Tues: eat normally. for me, I am usually hungry in the morning, eat a large post lifting meal, take sups, then eat again at 8pm. no lunch, as I am never, ever hungry for it. another fast starts at 8pm
        Wed: sprints, fast until 4 pm (20 hr) or 8pm, eat, take sups
        Thurs: eat a large post lifting meal in the morning, take sups, then eat again at 8pm. no lunch
        Fri: eat normally, OR another IF, my choice, depending on how I feel, what happened earlier in the week, etc.
        weekends: eat, eat, repeat!

        I am consumming fairly large amount of calories in my meals, and so snacking is not needed. I am getting 800-1200 cals on fasting days and 1500-2200 cals on non-fasting days. Protein is the priority at mealtime, and I consume around 90 grams of fat daily, and maybe 50 on fasting days.


        i really really like this schedule, but plan to shake things up in a month or so
        Last edited by lmyers04; 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I, too, IF as a normal part of life/maintenance.

          And, I don't take supps during a fast; I wait until I eat.
          Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

          Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

          Comment


          • #6
            I would like to include IF as a tool other than for weight loss; I think I would gain a lot of other benefits from it. I have done two 18 hour fasts before, and I felt like they were cleansing, or detoxing, even though I know that sounds a little new age-ish, to make up a word

            I just want to make sure it is okay if I'm already on the low end of calorie intake.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sure. I think the best supplement you can take is self discipline. You will probably find you eat a little heartier post fast. I do. 3 of the 4 who replied to you are not in need of weight loss. The benefits of intermittent fasting go way beyond weight loss. Like Daemon, I intend to eat this way for life. That said, I am leery of the cleansing and detox labels being marketed by the extended fast and master cleanse cults. I've done all that stuff and we need a lot more research before buying into the claims. Some stuff sounds pretty logical, like detoxing, but science hasn't validated such a thing and there's been tons of studies on fasting. Not trying to burst your bubble, but those two words (cleanse and detox) send up little red flags with me. Fasting is exceptionally healthy. It seems both healing and protective. I prefer those words.

              Comment


              • #8
                all great answers, but can i just say, there are no "stupid questions", especially in this type of community. If you don't know something, just ask, and ye shall learn.
                - Follow me on Twitter | Read my blog! - www.PaleOZ.com -

                Free Robb Wolf Paleo Meal Generator for iPhone
                IF Timer - The Original Intermittent Fasting iPhone App

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Grol View Post
                  Sure. I think the best supplement you can take is self discipline. You will probably find you eat a little heartier post fast. I do. 3 of the 4 who replied to you are not in need of weight loss. The benefits of intermittent fasting go way beyond weight loss. Like Daemon, I intend to eat this way for life. That said, I am leery of the cleansing and detox labels being marketed by the extended fast and master cleanse cults. I've done all that stuff and we need a lot more research before buying into the claims. Some stuff sounds pretty logical, like detoxing, but science hasn't validated such a thing and there's been tons of studies on fasting. Not trying to burst your bubble, but those two words (cleanse and detox) send up little red flags with me. Fasting is exceptionally healthy. It seems both healing and protective. I prefer those words.
                  I dislike all those detoxing diets and fads; I think my choice of words was poor

                  I think a better way to put what I intended is reset-both mentally and physically. For me, changing things up to that degree made me feel like I was getting my body out of a routine

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by paleo_rob View Post
                    all great answers, but can i just say, there are no "stupid questions", especially in this type of community. If you don't know something, just ask, and ye shall learn.
                    Yep yep
                    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

                    "A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sarahrob2248 View Post

                      I just want to make sure it is okay if I'm already on the low end of calorie intake.
                      I still think you shouldnt have your calories too low on the non-fasting days. instead of day to day with the same amount of low calories, you should be on more of a high/low schedule with the fasting. Dont worry about consumming to many calories when you are refeeding. The major benefits are going to come from the long amount of time you spend in the fasted state, not really from keeping your calories low when you do eat. Your calories should average out the same, anyway, as non fasting days are higher cal, yes, but fasting days are lower cal than you would usually eat. If you try to keep your calories low on the non fasting days, it wont work, and you might feel the effects of undernourishment.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah, what lmyers-4 said +1. That's why I eat twice in the evenings sometimes and I try to make sure that the meal that I eat when I only eat once has enough protein and is big enough to get me the nutrition that I need.
                        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                          I still think you shouldnt have your calories too low on the non-fasting days. instead of day to day with the same amount of low calories, you should be on more of a high/low schedule with the fasting. Dont worry about consumming to many calories when you are refeeding. The major benefits are going to come from the long amount of time you spend in the fasted state, not really from keeping your calories low when you do eat. Your calories should average out the same, anyway, as non fasting days are higher cal, yes, but fasting days are lower cal than you would usually eat. If you try to keep your calories low on the non fasting days, it wont work, and you might feel the effects of undernourishment.
                          So eat more than I normally would on non-fasting days...got it. I am currently at 18 hours and counting, and I definitely think I could eat more when I hit 24 hours.

                          It's confusing, because I've seen some people eat more on non-fasting, and some people eat exactly the same. I guess it depends on how many calories they consume overall. Maybe I'm over-thinking this; I should just make sure on a weekly basis I'm getting around the same amount of calories, correct?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You might find that you consume somewhat less calories when you're IFing. Just make sure that you're not losing lean muscle mass/strength and you should be fine.
                            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              And that you're not feeling tired all the time as well. If that is the case then you need to up your calories more. (Here's were Griff says "Eat more fat").
                              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X