Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skin Issues - Eczema Here, Psoriasis There, Etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Stabby View Post
    You may have a GLA metabolism problem. Try a little bit of evening primrose (not borage oil). Also up the vitamin d to 5000IU per day. Make sure to match that calcium with at least half as much magnesium from diet or supplements. Consider a bit of cod liver oil. Vitamin A deficiency is a big player in skin abnormalities and most of us can't get enough from beta carotene.

    Do that, then worry about "toxins" and the like.
    My calcium supplement contains 1000mg Calcium and 500mg Magnesium.
    I am taking cod liver oil (NutraSea).

    Last edited by cheapo; 06-15-2010, 11:25 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      That's fish oil. Cod liver oil has a little fish oil but its main function is vitamin A. So I think that at least 5000IU of vitamin d (1000IU would barely cover the absorption of your minerals, but vitamin d has a multitude of other uses) and possibly some cod liver oil would be a good idea. If you do choose to use some cod liver oil it's probably best to start supplementing with more vitamin d than that (15000IU maybe) unless you're getting strong sun on most of your body for 30 minutes a day.
      Last edited by Stabby; 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

      Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

      Comment


      • #18
        Oh. OK. What are the benefits to taking Vit. A as cod liver oil over taking it in pill form?
        Last edited by cheapo; 06-15-2010, 11:33 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Stabby View Post
          I agree with the 1/6 ratio. If our bodies can produce 15000IU of vitamin d naturally
          But we can't. At least not over time. We'll make 20,000 IU when pale, but it decreases over time as we darken. Also, there seems to be a difference in amounts needed depending on whether the D comes via the skin route or the oral route.

          I have seen friends here in Atlanta become D toxic on 15,000. But let me define toxic: in this case I just mean that they've achieved levels higher than is possible from sun....in other words, not physiologically appropriate.

          While we can get a good bit of A from liver - and would in the EEA - it wouldn't be all that frequent and would be shared with the tribe....in terms of percentage of overall intake, it'd be tiny....a few bites once in awhile.

          but only needs about 5000 (might be more but right now 5000 seems to be the number)
          after reading all of the WAPF info and all of cannel's info and spending hours with the original literature, I think it's too much. I fall somewhere between cannel and WAPF.

          Why not go with the with 1000 IU D per 25lbs body weight per day, then determine A from there? Do you even know your D levels? *winks at Stabby*

          And just to really put you on the spot, why more EPA than DHA when higher amounts of DHA appear to be biologically appropriate, meeting both our need for DHA and offering sufficient DHA for conversion to EPA?




          iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

          Comment


          • #20
            Would taking cod liver oil obviate the fish oil?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by cillakat View Post
              Why not go with the with 1000 IU D per 25lbs body weight per day, then determine A from there? Do you even know your D levels? *winks at Stabby*

              And just to really put you on the spot, why more EPA than DHA when higher amounts of DHA appear to be biologically appropriate, meeting both our need for DHA and offering sufficient DHA for conversion to EPA?
              Are you talking to me or Stabby?
              If you're asking me, no, I don't know my Vit. D levels.

              I do have a blood test requisition right here on my desk (I had elevated Potassium on my previous test and my Dr. wants to re-test) and I could check the box for a Vit. D test...if said test is listed on the form.

              Comment


              • #22
                I don't know if it's vit d or what, but I find getting out in the sunshine helps, and if I can't I go to a tanning salon. I also put a filter on my shower and the water is softer and so is my hair!!
                My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                  But we can't. At least not over time. We'll make 20,000 IU when pale, but it decreases over time as we darken. Also, there seems to be a difference in amounts needed depending on whether the D comes via the skin route or the oral route.

                  I have seen friends here in Atlanta become D toxic on 15,000. But let me define toxic: in this case I just mean that they've achieved levels higher than is possible from sun....in other words, not physiologically appropriate.

                  While we can get a good bit of A from liver - and would in the EEA - it wouldn't be all that frequent and would be shared with the tribe....in terms of percentage of overall intake, it'd be tiny....a few bites once in awhile.



                  after reading all of the WAPF info and all of cannel's info and spending hours with the original literature, I think it's too much. I fall somewhere between cannel and WAPF.

                  Why not go with the with 1000 IU D per 25lbs body weight per day, then determine A from there? Do you even know your D levels? *winks at Stabby*

                  And just to really put you on the spot, why more EPA than DHA when higher amounts of DHA appear to be biologically appropriate, meeting both our need for DHA and offering sufficient DHA for conversion to EPA?

                  The idea isn't to take mega doses indefinitely, clearly, but to take them until the point of storage and then take enough to maintain optimal levels, whatever that might be. 2 weeks ago I was at 37 ng/ml after taking 1000IU a day for a good year and taking 10000IU plus getting some sun for 2 months or so and so I would expect anyone unless they were a lifeguard or beach bum to need more, at least at the beginning. I suppose the prudent thing to do would be to recommend frequent testing. The idea of taking at least 2500IU of vitamin A is to compensate for insufficient conversions of carotenoids. I have definitely had eczema before but some cod liver oil resolves it perfectly, it doesn't appear to matter how much sweet potato and how many carrots I eat, my skin health is always better with cod liver oil. I seriously doubt that 2500IU could pose any harm in the presence of sufficient vitamin d.

                  Agreed on more DHA than EPA.
                  Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

                  Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                    Loving those soapnuts AntonG. Getting some of them for sure.
                    the most amazing nuts ever. 5 of those things are good for like 4 loads of laundry and i have a huge bag full. i cant find the store that I bought mine from but here is a pretty good deal. the big bag should last you at least a year or more, for $40.

                    http://www.buysoapnuts.com/store.html

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by cheapo View Post
                      Are you talking to me or Stabby?
                      If you're asking me, no, I don't know my Vit. D levels..
                      I was picking on Stabby. But if you could find out your d levels, it would be really helpful. Knowing what they are gives good information on how much one needs to get to optimal levels. The d doc in my sig line has inexpensive testing options.

                      Fwiw, I used to almost all of the symptoms you listed. I had eczema to the point of being disfigured on my face, neck and hands.....severe seborrheic dermaitis (dandruff), psoriasis on my arms and tops of feet and blah blah blah....snip long list of skin problems

                      This is me today. Now my skin is my best asset.....I no longer have the open wounds or scarring on my face, neck and arms from the years of eczema. My scalp is just....scalp. No more autoimmune disorders. All of the aformentioned skin problems and many others are gone now....but I do pay pretty close attention to my nutrient intake - much much moreso than most others here.

                      [IMG][/IMG]

                      I do have a blood test requisition right here on my desk (I had elevated Potassium on my previous test and my Dr. wants to re-test) and I could check the box for a Vit. D test...if said test is listed on the form.
                      you want 25(OH)D....if the form is for labcorp. quest's D test is not reliable.

                      high potassium could be a kidney problem and D can protect against kidney problems....so can sufficient magnesium.

                      wishing you the very best
                      Katherine



                      iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        cilla & stabby: you two are kinda highjacking this thread with your own conversation. Obviously you two have researched the issues, but your level of discussion is beyond me.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          That post was helpful. Thank you.
                          Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                          you want 25(OH)D....if the form is for labcorp. quest's D test is not reliable.

                          high potassium could be a kidney problem and D can protect against kidney problems....so can sufficient magnesium.
                          Hmm. I am in Canada, and our blood test requisitions don't look like yours I am sure. No 25(OH)D to be found.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                            I have definitely had eczema before but some cod liver oil resolves it perfectly, it doesn't appear to matter how much sweet potato and how many carrots I eat, my skin health is always better with cod liver oil. I seriously doubt that 2500IU could pose any harm in the presence of sufficient vitamin d.
                            I'd agree....it also depends on weight though so that number will change from person to person. I know you know what you're doing.....just furthering the discussion and information for the sake of the thread

                            Testing is important.....I wish more would do it.

                            Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                            Agreed on more DHA than EPA.
                            Ya' know what's got your A AND the right DHA/EPA? Just found this a few weeks ago
                            ;http://www.iherb.com/Barlean-s-Kid-s...-ml/14310?at=0



                            iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by cheapo View Post
                              cilla & stabby: you two are kinda highjacking this thread with your own conversation. Obviously you two have researched the issues, but your level of discussion is beyond me.


                              Sorry

                              What I agree on is to get vitamin d levels up, make sure that all nutrients are accounted for in the diet or from supplements, and then if that doesn't work, add in a bit of cod liver oil or evening primrose. They may be necessary or they may not be, but those could potentially be quick fixes. Some people will benefit from them, some people won't, but I'm always suspicious in the case of eczema because that is usually evidence of some nutrient not being accounted for.
                              Last edited by Stabby; 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM.
                              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

                              Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by cheapo View Post
                                That post was helpful. Thank you.


                                Hmm. I am in Canada, and our blood test requisitions don't look like yours I am sure. No 25(OH)D to be found.
                                Anything that says 25-hydroxy vitamin D or twenty five hydroxy vitamin D? Or just Vitamin D? Or Calcidiol? (not calcitriol....that's the wrong test)

                                Knowing that you're in Canada explains a lot. What's your latitude?



                                iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X