Need help with primal Italian dinner ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with primal Italian dinner ideas

A friend wants an Italian dinner for her birthday this Sunday and I was looking for suggestions for what I could make for me and a couple of other friends who just went primal. Any ideas for low carb Italian dishes? I only know how to make the super high carb ones, my weakness!
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

I made a great grilled zucchini lasagna recently. First I made a hearty meat sauce then grilled several zucchini, to the point of nice char marks (brush them with olive oil first) then layer: sauce, zuke, ricotta & mozzarella, sauce, zuke, ricotta & mozzarella....top with sauce and grate parm. Bake till bubbly.

The grilled flavor of the zucchini comes thru very nicely and the dish was well received

Comment

Insalata Caprese for starters. Vitello Tonnato with a salad (mixed or green). What about Fegato alla Veneziana? Italian cuisine is much much more than pizza and pasta. Tuna or swordfish steaks are simple and very Sicilian. Osso Bucco is a real favourite, and has the joy of marrow as well as the fatty meat
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I make my own spag sauce with homemade sauasge, and use zucchetti, or I use zucchini "lasagna" and the same sauce in lasagna, or make veal/ chicken parmigiana w/ almond flour over homemade marinara and zucchini noodles...
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Zucchini Lasagna is VERY good. The recipe I use is a little different than the one above, but grilling the zucchini sounds yummy. You can find the recipe I use on allrecipes and it's called "Summer Lasagna." I would recommend sweating the zucchini first. I've made this several times and everyone loves it. In fact, I made for a dinner that had a traditional noodle lasagna and this one was eaten first.

Comment

Spagetti squash with homemade sauce! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
            Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Comment

Mmm...Chicken Piccata
              For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

+ 1 for osso bucco!!!

Also, seafood is very primal and very italian, do it in a cream sauce or in a zesty marinara sauce! A mix of shrimp, scallops, mussels etc would be super special for a birthday!!! Mmmmmmmmmm!
                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

+2 for Osso Bucco, it is amazing! I'm in Rome studying abroad right now, and last thursday was the first time I tried it and it was soooo good. I am definitely making it when I get back to the U.S.

I've noticed that there are also some staple vegetables served here, the main two being chicory and artichoke hearts. They also serve zucchini, egg plant, and spinach, so you could make one of these. I personally recommend artichoke hearts, I never tried them until I came here and they are my new favorite vegetable.

Comment

All of the above!

Comment

Italian Food is incredibly primal....pasta is only a small (albeit important) part of Italian cooking. Traditional Italian food is very game, seafood, and organ centered. Lots of fermented food too.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

There is an amazing recipe for fish over fennel marinara in Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa" cookbook- you could just go to the bookstore and copy it down.

In a nutshell, it involves cooking canned whole tomatoes, chopped up (without the liquid), a little chicken broth, sliced fennel bulb, herbs de provence spice mix (or even Italian seasoning), salt and adding capers at the end and serving the fish over top. It should be a very chunky sauce.
                        It's also great with chopped artichoke hearts (either frozen or the kind in a jar/can WITHOUT vinegar).
                        For the fish, you can use Tuna steaks, grouper, halibut, or cod.
                        http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Look online for Cioppino recipes. Basically seafood in an awesome broth. Depending on how you plate it, it can be comfort food or elegant.
                          Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
                          - Ralph Marston

Comment

+1 on all of the above, especially vitello tonnato, and osso bucco!
                            also antipasto di pesce (assorted clams, mussels, squid, whatever, with vinegar oil and pepper), or Saltimbocca alla romana...

lots and lots of possibilities in italian cuisine! The trick is to keep it simple, but lots of tastes!

Comment

In one of the last few issues of Fine Cooking, there is a re-do egglant parm. The one that lookes awesome to me is made with grilled eggplant layered with cheese and sauce and sets up and is served liked lasagna, with no bread crumbs or the like. Looks awesome!!
                              Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
                              ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                              Re-Start date 6/23/2011
                              me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
                              273.4/269.3/115
                              Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

Working...
                              X