X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vitamin d3

in todays MDA post, mark said the following about taking D3 supplements:
    "All you need to do is take it with or near any meal that includes fat"

Anyone have any ideas why? What's the harm on an empty stomach, or a meal that might not have a significant amount of fat?

The fat will aid in vitamin absorption. I always try to take supplements with some type of fat. Same with Whey powder - I mix it with coconut milk to slow digestion and aid in absorption.

Comment

Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat-soluble, so it's wise to have at a meal with fat for absorption.
      sigpic
      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Hm, I've been taking my D3 gelcaps in the morning with vitamin C, about 1 1/2 hours before I eat breakfast and then again at night right before bed. Maybe I should shift to with breakfast and dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by prib81 View Post
          Hm, I've been taking my D3 gelcaps in the morning with vitamin C, about 1 1/2 hours before I eat breakfast and then again at night right before bed. Maybe I should shift to with breakfast and dinner.
          That sounds like a lot of Vitamin C. You can get all you need for the day from about 1/4 of a red pepper. Incidentally, this "natural" source will also slow digestion and aid in vitamin absorption.

Comment

I predict cillakat will post in this thread.
            My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

yes I've been waiting for Cillakat to chime in . Good to know about when to take the D3, funny the stuff you dont know. So this leads me to a question about when is the best time to have my fish oil?

Comment

Hmmm, I'd like to hear more on this. I've been taking my D3 along with the rest of my supplements - Fish oil, prenatals, Zn - just before going to bed in the night. Does it really matter if the D3 supplement is already oil-based? Won't that ensure that it is absorbed by the body?

Comment

Originally posted by barryman9000 View Post
                  That sounds like a lot of Vitamin C. You can get all you need for the day from about 1/4 of a red pepper. Incidentally, this "natural" source will also slow digestion and aid in vitamin absorption.
                  Ah, I should clarify - I only take the C in the morning. Also, I'm pretty much carnivore + goat milk + onions/garlic in order to heal my gut. I don't do really well with most veggies (I think this will change as I heal - I certainly hope so as I do love me some brussels sprouts with butter and nutmeg).

Comment

Dr. Davis' patients seem to do fine with the gelcaps (oil based) on their own, but on tablets they might not get appropriate vitamin D unless it is taken with oil of some kind (like a fatty meal)

Comment

ahha, interesting. I have gelcaps. Must look closely at info on the bottle. However, will endeavour to take them with meals going forward!

Comment

Working...
                      X