Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Enjoy Smoothies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do You Enjoy Smoothies?

    I am not talking pure fruit smoothies. I am talking about what would be savory primal smoothies. Ones that are high fat and/or high protein and low-carb.

    How often do you eat smoothies and would you enjoy primal smoothie recipes?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

  • #2
    I do whey, a little coconut milk, berries and water.



    iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

    Comment


    • #3
      Those are dangerous territory for me. I stay away.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

      Comment


      • #4
        I came up with a pretty tasty veggie based smoothie the other day.

        It was a couple handfuls of mixed lettuce, half a small banana, about a 1/4 cup shredded coconut, 1 egg, a TBL of hazelnut oil or coconut oil, cocoa powder, and coconut milk/almond milk to the desired consistency.

        Sometimes I'll throw in a carrot, some whey, or a couple drops of peppermint extract.

        It's not quite perfect yet but it's getting close.

        Comment


        • #5
          As the weather warms, I like having a cool smoothie for breakfast sometimes. Had one this morning, consisting of:

          1 c Greek yogurt (full fat)
          1/2 cucumber
          Hand full of walnuts
          Frozen mixed berries

          Then top it with a sprinkling of dried coconut. I didn't feel the need for more protein, but I have homemade beef jerky that I could have snacked on if I'd decided I was still hungry. This did it for me, though. You can also add a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa, for a chocolate smoothie.

          The important thing for me is to include some kind of veggie in the smoothie. Cucumbers and celery chop up really well in my blender. Carrots don't work as well for me. I want to try zucchini at some point -- I figure that would blend well.
          If I don't live my dream, who will?

          Comment


          • #6
            Grok did not own a blender.

            Use your teeth as the goddess intended. Pre-macerating only speeds up digestion which results in faster, wider swings in insulin response.

            Eat you foods, don't drink them.

            Comment


            • #7
              While I agree that it is preferable to chew your food, now and then a smoothie is great. I drink them about 3-4 times a week. For me it is a good way to get stuff in me that I can't eat alone...kale, blueberries, kefir, spinach (although I do like that alone) and coconut milk.

              Comment


              • #8
                I like a smoothie once or twice a week. I keep them green with minimal fruit and lots of fat.

                I do about a cup of something leafy and green (often parsley and/or spinach), a half a peeled cuke (I swear it's not disgusting!) maybe 1/2 cup of berries, some fermented goat's milk protein pwd, about 4 oz. of cream or coconut milk, 4 oz. of water and a big scoop of chia. I add a pinch of sea salt and stevia to flavor it and maybe a squeeze of lime and some mint in the summer (super yum!).
                http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                  Those are dangerous territory for me. I stay away.
                  How come? You don't have to add a bunch of fruit.

                  Originally posted by rozska View Post
                  As the weather warms, I like having a cool smoothie for breakfast sometimes. Had one this morning, consisting of:

                  1 c Greek yogurt (full fat)
                  1/2 cucumber
                  Hand full of walnuts
                  Frozen mixed berries

                  Then top it with a sprinkling of dried coconut. I didn't feel the need for more protein, but I have homemade beef jerky that I could have snacked on if I'd decided I was still hungry. This did it for me, though. You can also add a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa, for a chocolate smoothie.

                  The important thing for me is to include some kind of veggie in the smoothie. Cucumbers and celery chop up really well in my blender. Carrots don't work as well for me. I want to try zucchini at some point -- I figure that would blend well.
                  That sounds very tasty! I never thought of trying zucchini to my smoothies - I will have to give it a shot now.

                  Originally posted by dacec View Post
                  While I agree that it is preferable to chew your food, now and then a smoothie is great. I drink them about 3-4 times a week. For me it is a good way to get stuff in me that I can't eat alone...kale, blueberries, kefir, spinach (although I do like that alone) and coconut milk.
                  Exactly and Grok did not have a computer either...

                  Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                  I like a smoothie once or twice a week. I keep them green with minimal fruit and lots of fat.

                  I do about a cup of something leafy and green (often parsley and/or spinach), a half a peeled cuke (I swear it's not disgusting!) maybe 1/2 cup of berries, some fermented goat's milk protein pwd, about 4 oz. of cream or coconut milk, 4 oz. of water and a big scoop of chia. I add a pinch of sea salt and stevia to flavor it and maybe a squeeze of lime and some mint in the summer (super yum!).
                  I usually add greens too and limit the fruit and also add a lot of fat - usually avocado or some form of coconut.
                  Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                    Grok did not own a blender.

                    Use your teeth as the goddess intended. Pre-macerating only speeds up digestion which results in faster, wider swings in insulin response.

                    Eat you foods, don't drink them.
                    Did grok have a computer? No. Are you using one? Yes.
                    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
                      Grok did not own a blender.

                      Use your teeth as the goddess intended. Pre-macerating only speeds up digestion which results in faster, wider swings in insulin response.

                      Eat you foods, don't drink them.
                      Are you freaking serious? lol
                      .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I do, made an almond smoothie this morning. Helps break up the eggs each day and is good when your in a hurry as I was this morning.

                        2 Cups Milk Kefir
                        1 Cup Coconut Milk
                        1 wicked huge tbs of Coconut oil
                        1 wicked huge tbs of Almond butter
                        1/4 Banana
                        1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
                        You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I love smoothies!!! Usually have them for breakfast or after the gym. Pretty similar to Mainer's recipe

                          1/2 can of coconut milk
                          Some raw milk
                          Tbs coconut oil
                          Tbs almond butter
                          tsp or so cocoa powder
                          A few egg yolks
                          Scoop of whey (If I have some - not often)
                          1 banana
                          Bit of vanilla
                          Pinch of sea salt

                          Keeps me goin for hours!!!!! Never tries a veg smoothie though.... might look into it.
                          "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mainer View Post
                            I do, made an almond smoothie this morning. Helps break up the eggs each day and is good when your in a hurry as I was this morning.

                            2 Cups Milk Kefir
                            1 Cup Coconut Milk
                            1 wicked huge tbs of Coconut oil
                            1 wicked huge tbs of Almond butter
                            1/4 Banana
                            1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
                            Originally posted by muaythaimike View Post
                            I love smoothies!!! Usually have them for breakfast or after the gym. Pretty similar to Mainer's recipe

                            1/2 can of coconut milk
                            Some raw milk
                            Tbs coconut oil
                            Tbs almond butter
                            tsp or so cocoa powder
                            A few egg yolks
                            Scoop of whey (If I have some - not often)
                            1 banana
                            Bit of vanilla
                            Pinch of sea salt

                            Keeps me goin for hours!!!!! Never tries a veg smoothie though.... might look into it.
                            Both of these sound wonderful - I will have to give similar versions a try! I think coconut milk as a base is a winner amongst most of us. So simple, delicious, healthy, and cheap!
                            Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                              I am not talking pure fruit smoothies. I am talking about what would be savory primal smoothies. Ones that are high fat and/or high protein and low-carb.

                              How often do you eat smoothies and would you enjoy primal smoothie recipes?
                              I have not had one in a very long time but yes, I do enjoy a good smoothie.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X